Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
244 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

ghoffman Snazzy new trailer floor!
Senior Guru
258 Posts

The floor on my trailer was really getting nasty, so I gentleman I met through SCDA that owns a sheet metal shop helped me out. Jim Farley drives a Noble and was my student last year a couple of times and I helped him find new rotors for his car, showed him how to camber it and other set up tricks. His shop, Custom Sheet Metal, Manchester, NH did this to my trailer with .062 aluminum diamond plate and the workmanship is fantastic! They used stainless steel flat head screws that are countersunk, TIG welded corners, brake-bent lips all around, RTV bonded as well and just totally first class. The real kicker, is he did it for just the material cost, $450! Thanks, JIM!

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0033.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0034.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0035.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0036.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0038.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Trailer/DSC_0039.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/11/20 20:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Very nice & the price is mind blowing.

Believe it or not, I have carpet in my trailer, the dark gray, very short fiber stuff from Home Depot. But, I use the trailer as an RV at the track so the carpet's nice for stocking feet. I use a drip pan under the motor. The first time, it lasted 5 years until it got a few too many oil spots. Replacing it costs $70.
Posted on: 2008/11/20 23:26

Matatk Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Looks very nice. Was it plywood before? Is there a weight difference or is it negligible? Looks like it should hold up well.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/20 23:30

ghoffman Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Actually, it is nicer in person than these pics. The aluminum adds about 200 pounds but since the trailer is 3700 already, it is not noticeable to my Silverado 2500 HD. The base floor is plywood over steel beams and there was some minor wood rot, but not enough to worry about, and with the adhesive and screws is makes the floor stiffer anyway.
Posted on: 2008/11/20 23:48

BrianCunningham Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I saw it yesterday.

It's even nicer in person!
Posted on: 2008/11/20 23:51

CentralCoaster Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nice trailer. But I'm not sure I could live there if I didn't have propane and had to crap outside. Plus the decor is a little bland.
Posted on: 2008/11/21 0:13

BrianCunningham Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I guess the housing market really did go south in SoCal
LOL
Posted on: 2008/11/21 17:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Pic of my interior when I first built it.

Attach file:

jpg  Trailer.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/11/22 15:49

SpectatorRacing Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Looks great, Gary.

A little off topic, but where do you guys get your cabinets? I'm going to put some new ones in the front of mine (to replace the old kitchen ones that where in there). Places like Pit Products have great stuff, but it's well over $1000 for what I want. Any suggestions?
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I made the ones in the pic because I wanted them to be light weight. The trailer was bare with the aluminum ribs showing when I got it. It took a little extra effort because the Featherlite has a V nose. Also, the roller cabinet is held in with 2 pins so I can roll it out quickly.

I thought kitchen cabinets were too heavy and the Pit Pal or any others were way too expensive. If you're building square cabinets, it's fairly easy.

I also added a Harbor Freight to the side, $30 on sale. It's 3 1/2 ft wide, 2 1/2 ft high and 6 inches deep which works well on the side wall.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:32

bogus Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

looks sweet.

That aluminum floor will make cleanup easier, too, I suspect. Hose and be done.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 0:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
258 Posts

You are right, cleanup should be a matter of lifting up the front and hosing out the trailer through the side door. The diamond plate was RTV bonded as well as screwed down so any leaks through the seams should be minimized.
As far as my cabinets go, I bought the trailer used and they were already there. They are wood but seem custom made for the trailer with an aluminum bench top and big giant vise. It is dual wired for both 110VAC and 12VDC lighting. It also has very cool backup lights that are angled out from the sides with big spot lights. The previous owner ran GT-1 cars so the compound ramp can accommodate really low air dams. It also has a first class Superwinch with remote control mounted powered by a giant truck battery in the cabinets with the cable going through a hole in the middle bottom of the cabinets. It has roof access through a big vent and a pull down aluminum ladder that folds into the ceiling. The spare tire holder shown is from Pit Pal products and that was purchased used from Suzie Hiniker (a local Ferrari racer, who is really nice and a real looker as well) that was surplus for her. It allowed me to eliminate the trap door on the floor for the trailer spare which was usually covered up by the tie downs during use anyway. I paid $5k for this trailer about 4 years ago, and I still think it was a deal!
Posted on: 2008/11/29 14:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

$5k, yea that's a hell of a deal. I'd hate to tell you how much my little Featherlite was. What brand is it?

I like the fold out ramps. If you set the fold out ramp on top of a set of 5ft. ramps from your scale platform, you could get a winged car in there without taking the wing off!
Posted on: 2008/11/29 14:19

Senior Guru
258 Posts

It is a 1993 and my registration says the manufacturer is "Penn". It is heavy as hell, like 3700 pounds empty.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 14:30

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
It is a 1993 and my registration says the manufacturer is "Penn". It is heavy as hell, like 3700 pounds empty.

Most are that heavy, even the big Featherlites are heavy.

This'll make you sick:
I bought my Featherlite specifically to haul open wheel cars. It won't handle a production car.
But, with all I put into it, paneling, cabinets and with a full roller cabinet, mig, airtank, spares,tires and the race car (FF), I'm at less than 3,200.
My 5.3 Vortec Silverado pulls it up the 8,500ft. hill at Donner Summit at 65 mph, getting 17 mpg.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 14:38

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Well my 3080 pound (and that is light!) C6Z would crush that trailer! I used to tow this with a 5.3L Silverado 1500 and it was working very hard. I now use an '07 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L and it works much better. However, I wish I had a 750HP turbo diesel sometimes on hills!
Posted on: 2008/11/29 14:51

SpectatorRacing Re: Snazzy new trailer floor!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:The previous owner ran GT-1 cars so the compound ramp can accommodate really low air dams.

Yeah I noticed that ramp, it's nice, long, and low...

Quote:
The spare tire holder shown is from Pit Pal products and that was purchased used from Suzie Hiniker (a local Ferrari racer, who is really nice and a real looker as well) that was surplus for her.

Where are the pics to prove it? :tongue:

Mine's heavy, too. It's the 5000 lb axles. Empty it weighs almost 5000 lbs, add the car and gear and it's pushing 8500 or 9000. I pull with a 2008 Dodge 1500, but when the lease is up next winter I'm getting a 2500. She does ok, but I'd like it to be easier. My teammate has a 32' monster trailer with living quarters, I pulled it down to Nationals (he didn't go) and the mighty Ram struggled. Well, it had the juice under the hood, but the rear suspension was not up to the task. I took it slow and got about 6 MPG...

Yeah, that was when gas was $4.50/gal!!!

Why is racing (and towing) season over with these prices?!?!?
Posted on: 2008/11/29 21:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Well my 3080 pound (and that is light!) C6Z would crush that trailer!

My Ford weighs 906lbs w/o fuel but it's a little light on HP. The FSCCA I'm driving in my avatar weighs 1050.

What hills? Yea, I know, the grades are the same.
Donner Summit is a long one 300 ft in Sacramento to the top where it hit 8,500 ft.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 1:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.