Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
224 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 2 (3)
 Register To Post

Jeffvette Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Think of the different lines as tools for your toolbox or weapons for the fight. You are the one ultimately that has to decide and the more tools (or weapons) that you have the better you will be prepared. It has been said in many ways, but "The more thou sweat in training, the less thou bleed in combat".

For people who are going to race, knowing different lines, or how to create a line after making a pass is an advantage.

Most people who never venture away from a HPDE should stay on the correct line for their vehicle.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 20:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

ghoffman Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
258 Posts

I sure like your avatars (is that a pick-up line?)!
Posted on: 2008/12/4 20:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpectatorRacing Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Its tempting to alter the line when there's a car behind me, but all that does is slow me down.

Watch the in car videos from some of the experienced racers. You can clearly see when the car ahead is driven by a smart driver. You can watch the leading driver slow down in key spots, causing the follower to check up, allowing the leader to take off...

There are several places at Mid-Ohio for this technique, it's very tough to pass through the back section if the cars are similar. You can see the leading driver slow down at corner entries where he knows the guy behind can't mount a passing attack, then be perfectly set up to exit and put some distance between them.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:37

CentralCoaster Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's funny because the crappy drivers in fast cars use the same technique, and then wonder why they never have to wave anyone by.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:42

BillH Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

Most people who never venture away from a HPDE should stay on the correct line for their vehicle.

I agree, that's the fastest way around the track.

When you're in a race, unless you're by yourself (which is boring), the lines change dramatically. Every corner is a passing opportunity or at least a harrassing opportunity. I like having the guy in front of me wondering which mirror I'm going to show up in next.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 1:20

BillH Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Watch the in car videos from some of the experienced racers. You can clearly see when the car ahead is driven by a smart driver. You can watch the leading driver slow down in key spots, causing the follower to check up, allowing the leader to take off...

There are several places at Mid-Ohio for this technique, it's very tough to pass through the back section if the cars are similar. You can see the leading driver slow down at corner entries where he knows the guy behind can't mount a passing attack, then be perfectly set up to exit and put some distance between them.

The really smart drivers pick this up quickly and back off on the straight a couple of lengths. Take a different line and get on the gas early.

But the best racing is side by side in a corner, pushing the slip angles to the limit with both cars drifting.
When you run a regional schedule, you get to know who you can run with like this.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 1:29

SpectatorRacing Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

But the best racing is side by side in a corner, pushing the slip angles to the limit with both cars drifting.
When you run a regional schedule, you get to know who you can run with like this.

That's the key. Most of us still pay for our own damage, so contact isn't an option. There are a good portion of guys I trust not to lose it when going offline, but the rest I have to be especially aware of. This was even more evident in time trials, where you get good drivers when they're on the racing line, but have no racecraft. They are fast but not aware of who's where. I have video of an EVO who almost kills me three times by coming across my nose when I clearly had the position. Not because he was blocking, but because he had no idea I was there.

He and I and the Series director had words that day...he no longer drives, but he's now a NASA official!

Oh, the irony.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:04

« 1 2 (3)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.