Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2) 3 »
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

IF and that's a big IF, you decide to continue doing events and want to put in a harness and seats. They can be mounted so that the swap from your stock seats to your race seats takes 10 minutes. Used race seats are inexpensive.

Bill, my stock seat covers are finally starting to go, but I was thinking, why spend $600 on new leather when I can just put in some race seats?

In my shoes, would you suggest using race seats in a semi-daily driver, or is that going to be impossible without compromising either street comfort or track use? If I went that route I would buy two race seats, get some adjustable seat tracks for them, and having to get ones that fold forward for access to the hatch area. And even with harnesses, I would retain the factory seatbelts for daily use.

Or should I just buy new factory leather, and then just swap in a race seat and harness for track events?
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:07

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
dude, pocono does track days for like $250 a day. i was going to go last year but the guy that i was going to go with blew his motor. i was trying to get my friend who has an m3 to go but i think he is scared of getting shown up.lol. i would be more than willing to do that with you. i have a z51 car with j55 brakes.

I made the mistake of waiting to go until I had some company.

Lesson #1: Everyone else that says they're going will chicken out.

Lesson #2: On your first trip you will be so busy with your instructor and your car and talking to other newbies, and trying to get the most out of it, that there won't be much time to hang out with friends. Many others are there by themselves or with just a passenger.

Lesson #3: After a few events, you'll know the regulars at your local track that aren't afraid to go, and you won't feel the need to try and convince your own friends to go. And if/when they finally decide to, you can be the guy that helps them out.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

It's rare that someone uses their brakes like that in their first event, maybe 2 or 3% of the drivers and that's OK. But some of those 3% have to be told to slow down because they're basically out of control, not hitting the apexes or the lines. A few do get it right, hit the lines and use their brakes hard, very few.

Most don't and I'd much rather see guys concentrating on lines, consistant brake points, etc. on their first time out.

I don't ever hold back at the track. I don't spend $300 and a weekend so I can go cruising at 7/10ths. I can do that in the local canyons.

Obviously getting out of control repeatedly isn't the fastest way around the track, so I don't do it. But I'm running the car as hard as I can unless I'm stuck in traffic. Sometimes what I think is 10/10ths ends up being 11/10ths, and I blow a breaking zone or drop some tires in the dirt. You can't learn where the limits are without going past them every now and then. And yeah, I paid for the entire track, so I'm going to use it. Running poor lines only reinforces bad driving habits and gets you slower lap times.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:26

Jeffvette Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:
But I'm running the car as hard as I can unless I'm stuck in traffic. Sometimes what I think is 10/10ths ends up being 11/10ths,

The 10/10ths that you are driving are nowhere near the limit of the car.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Aardwolf Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

I guess I drive like CC, but I've only dropped two wheels once in five years now and no spins. I like the feeling after getting a perfect slip angle. Some events I almost wish I'd track it one day and visit the other day as there's not a whole lot of spare time to talk and look at all the other awesome cars/mods.

CC, I was in the same position with seats. I sold the stockers and put in A4's. They are lighter and more comfy IMO. They fold down and slide. I got them shaved for more headroom with a helmet. I put the five point belts under the stock three point so I can use either setup. The harness bar I take out but leave the five point shoulder straps attached to it so for an event I just have to bolt the bar back in. The stock three point really held me back from driving decently and I'm much less fatigued when using the five point.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:
But I'm running the car as hard as I can unless I'm stuck in traffic. Sometimes what I think is 10/10ths ends up being 11/10ths,

The 10/10ths that you are driving are nowhere near the limit of the car.

True, and the lap times show that if I'm getting beat by an instructor in his Civic. At Cal speedway, there's a high speed chicane followed by a decreasing radius turn with a curved braking zone. Took me about 40 laps of confidence building before I could go through there flat out. And now as I improve on the turn before it, I'll carry more speed into the chicane and have to push it even further.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 19:10

jsup Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Here is what my 2000 FRC looked like after a cut RR Hoosier put me into T3 at Loudon.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Rightside.jpg[/IMG]
I really liked that car before I crunched it:
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/P7160003.jpg[/IMG]

and here is what a Hardbar customer did to his C5 at about 100MPH. With the Teamtech Rampac, it does not fall off of your shoulders because of the unique design. We both walked away unhurt, and there are many other examples.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Opps2.jpg[/IMG]

That is what scares me, doing that to my car.

Wonder if insurance covers that stuff...
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:36

ghoffman Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Cars can be replaced, lives cannot.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:49

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

HAHA.

If you can't afford to write it off, keep it off the track.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2529.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:53

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:

Amazes me people are always worried about insurance as their #1 issue. Never about their lives or family situation.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:54

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

HAHA.

If you can't afford to write it off, keep it off the track.

I can afford to write it off, I can't afford to replace it.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:55

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:

I'm not saying I'd rather be dead....I was musing if a claim was submitted from the track if it were covered.

I agree with you 100%.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:56

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Just to continue with the pics of the accident. The wall has been renamed "Turners wall".

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2517_2.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMG_2521.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMG_2526.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/12/1 21:07

SpectatorRacing Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Lesson #3: After a few events, you'll know the regulars at your local track that aren't afraid to go, and you won't feel the need to try and convince your own friends to go. And if/when they finally decide to, you can be the guy that helps them out.

It actually gets annoying at times when I bring newbs (or even guys with several events under their belts) and they are completely reliant on me for EVERYTHING.

Can you help me bleed my brakes? Can you drive my car for a minute and tell me if that noise is ok? When am I up next? Where's my instructor? Can I store my shit in your trailer? Can you help me get the stuff out of my trunk? What run group am I? What run group is that guy? Is that guy faster than me? What are his lap times? What are my lap times? etc. etc.

I love bringing friends at the track, but when I have three students and am a co-sponsor of an event I don't have time to babysit. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only guy that can read the schedules that are posted all over the place...
Posted on: 2008/12/1 21:28

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I've only seen a handful of bad accidents (meaning the car couldn't be driven home) at a driving school. Yes, it can happen and you need to be prepared from both a financial and safety perspective. But usually the worst of it is a bent susupension, busted body panels, etc. And honestly, with few exceptions, it's the advanced drivers that get into trouble. I've only seen about three newbs crunch sheet metal in 10 years of doing this.

Carnage during a race is another story...

As for insurance, I have a list of people I know who have had insurance pay a claim. I also have a list of people who have been denied. It all depends on your company, your persistance, and your luck. Do some research - if it's not explicitly forbidden in your policy it's covered. But be ready for an argument...possibly requiring an attorney. And anything regarded as a competition - racing, time trials, etc. will definately NOT be covered. So if there's timing equipment at the track don't risk it.

Regardless, as Jeff pointed out, if you can't walk away from a bad wreck (financially) then you shouldn't do it, whether insurance covers it or not. You can't rely on that option.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 21:41

BillH Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Bill, my stock seat covers are finally starting to go, but I was thinking, why spend $600 on new leather when I can just put in some race seats?

In my shoes, would you suggest using race seats in a semi-daily driver, or is that going to be impossible without compromising either street comfort or track use? If I went that route I would buy two race seats, get some adjustable seat tracks for them, and having to get ones that fold forward for access to the hatch area. And even with harnesses, I would retain the factory seatbelts for daily use.

Or should I just buy new factory leather, and then just swap in a race seat and harness for track events?

Yes, I would. I think it's a great idea if you get the right seats.
I'm also guessing that it will be more than $600 because you pull the old leather and find out thet you really should do the foam too. Then, it's over a grand. Plus, you can keep the stock seats incase you decide to switch cars.

I did a full day of coaching with a guy that had a C5Z with Sparco's that he bought used. They were extremely comfortable and I think they would be comfortable on a trip. He bought them used for just about half price in mint condition. I can't remember if they folded.
I can email him to find out what model they are if you want.

Aardwolf - The A4's are Sparco, right? Any pics?
Posted on: 2008/12/2 12:47

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I don't ever hold back at the track. I don't spend $300 and a weekend so I can go cruising at 7/10ths. I can do that in the local canyons.

Obviously getting out of control repeatedly isn't the fastest way around the track, so I don't do it. But I'm running the car as hard as I can unless I'm stuck in traffic. Sometimes what I think is 10/10ths ends up being 11/10ths, and I blow a breaking zone or drop some tires in the dirt. You can't learn where the limits are without going past them every now and then. And yeah, I paid for the entire track, so I'm going to use it. Running poor lines only reinforces bad driving habits and gets you slower lap times.

No, I agree here and with what Aardwolf said. Most of what I said was directed to Jsup for his first track day. Like you said, 40 laps to get some confidence in certain corners.
Most first timers take 3 sessions just to learn the track. I'd rathar have them at 7/10ths learning the lines in those sessions than have them hammering the corners and blowing everyone. It takes longer to correct things that way.
If I coach a guy all day and he has some ability, I can get him up to speed pretty quick.
I think you and Aard are probably good drivers, so you aere able to push it in your first event. Like I said, many are not in that percentage.
Ha, I spend a bunch of time saying:
Don't look at me when I'm talking.
Don't look down at the shifter, you already know where it is.
Get your hand off the top of the wheel, 2 & 10.
Don't drive with one hand.
No, you can't play the radio.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I've only seen a handful of bad accidents (meaning the car couldn't be driven home) at a driving school.

Yep, very few.
Usually happens to an advanced driver who isn't that advanced.
Frankly, the advanced groups in HPDE can be scary. You have some really good drivers who have to watch out for the nuts.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:11

Senior Guru
258 Posts

I say the same things and would add (at NHMS):

Roger Penske is not in the stands scouting Ryan Newman's replacement
These NASCAR "soft walls" are not very soft so don't hit them
I don't care how many Miatas pass you, let's learn the line
The brakes are for braking, not the engine
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
I say the same things and would add (at NHMS):
The brakes are for braking, not the engine

That's why you do 4 to 2 downshifts.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:22

Senior Guru
258 Posts

I have Corvette newbies just leave it in 3rd all the way around. One less thing to think about.

Other things I say;

Use your mirrors

Breathe
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:28

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

It actually gets annoying at times when I bring newbs (or even guys with several events under their belts) and they are completely reliant on me for EVERYTHING.

Can you help me bleed my brakes? Can you drive my car for a minute and tell me if that noise is ok? When am I up next? Where's my instructor? Can I store my shit in your trailer? Can you help me get the stuff out of my trunk? What run group am I? What run group is that guy? Is that guy faster than me? What are his lap times? What are my lap times? etc. etc.

I love bringing friends at the track, but when I have three students and am a co-sponsor of an event I don't have time to babysit. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only guy that can read the schedules that are posted all over the place...

Halleyuah!
I instruct for several reasons and I am a very generous person, but enough is enough sometimes. I like to have one student per day, sometimes 2. It is not bad to have 2 if one is a total newbie, and the other is an intermediate that needs some fine tuning. It is especially helpfull for the intermediate driver to have in-car video that we can review together.

The reasons I instruct are (in no particular order)
1) Give it back to people (like the movie 'Pay it forward")
2) I always learn something, even after running at NHMS for 18 years.
3) Meet new people, make friends
4) Test new Hardbar products and get seat time for myself
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
I have Corvette newbies just leave it in 3rd all the way around. One less thing to think about.

Other things I say;

Use your mirrors

Breathe

Me too, just leave it in third. Besides, Z06's come out of the corners very hard in third.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:

Halleyuah!
I instruct for several reasons and I am a very generous person, but enough is enough sometimes. I like to have one student per day, sometimes 2. It is not bad to have 2 if one is a total newbie, and the other is an intermediate that needs some fine tuning. It is especially helpfull for the intermediate driver to have in-car video that we can review together.

The reasons I instruct are (in no particular order)
1) Give it back to people (like the movie 'Pay it forward")
2) I always learn something, even after running at NHMS for 18 years.
3) Meet new people, make friends
4) Test new Hardbar products and get seat time for myself

Yea, I like giving it back too. I really like how excited newer drivers are when they "get it".
I do some instructing to get free track time.
I get paid to do full private days.
I do volunteer days for SCCA that are really long ones:
At the track at 6:45, set up tech, tech 35 to 40 cars, jump into the right seat for instruction until 4:30, tear down tech. Drink beer.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 14:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Out here I've had both Aaron Bitterman and Terry Free ride shotgun. Terry had a helmet radio setup which was nice, because you can't hear anything otherwise. I bought one for my bike recently that I might try and use next time at the track.

The right instructor can be a big help, but I see how they can be a little choosy about who they spend time on. It seems like some of the guys out there can't be helped and just have the goal of ditching the instructor as soon as possible so they start driving stupid.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 16:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

CC, Which intercom did you buy? I've had good results with Chatterbox which is basically a bike setup.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 13:25

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Chatterbox is what we use as well. Bill, do you ever sleep? What time is it in Reno, 0530?
Here is why Corvette owners need to learn how to drive. Do you really want a Spec Miata to pass you because you really can't drive as well as your ego says you do?

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/Miata.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/12/3 13:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Ha, sleep is boring.
No getting up early is an old hangover from work. Corporate HQ (AMP Incorporated) was on the east coast. The guys out here that were making money were always on the phones to management early.

What's worse is when I head to the race track, I usually pull out at 3:30 a.m. on Thurs. or Fri. especially when going to ThunderHill. The best pit spots have free electricity. And there's no traffc, you can tow at 85.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 13:46

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

My helmet radio is Cardo Scala Rider. I wasn't ready to fork out the cash for chatterbox.

It works well on the bike until over about 80 mph, should be fine inside a car with windows down. It depends greatly on how loud your helmet is. It's pretty compact, does aux input, radio, bluetooth calls. The radio range isn't as good as the chatterbox. If I get split up from the other rider I just push a button on it to call them.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 14:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Nice setup.
The Chatterbox I use is the inexpensive, hardwired one.
About $120
Posted on: 2008/12/3 14:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Here is why Corvette owners need to learn how to drive. Do you really want a Spec Miata to pass you because you really can't drive as well as your ego says you do?

The last time I drove Miata.

Attach file:

jpg  25 Hour.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/12/3 15:10

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Yea, I am just having fun with Corvette guys. Here is a pic of me as Brian Cunningham's instructor at the brand new New Jersey Motorsports park in August. Man, I am so claustrophobic in those, I have to slide down against the sub strap to get any headroom.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/12/3 15:52

BrianCunningham Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Still, that was a fun little car.

I'm really glad I got to go out that day.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 17:35

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The right instructor can be a big help, but I see how they can be a little choosy about who they spend time on. It seems like some of the guys out there can't be helped and just have the goal of ditching the instructor as soon as possible so they start driving stupid.

You know, it's funny that you mention that. When my buddies and I were students we always wanted the instructor out of the car ASAP, regardless of how well we were (or thought we were) driving.

Nowadays, every student I have wants me in the car every session of every day. I don't mind as that's what I'm there for, but it's odd to see this. I'd love to think it's because I'm that great of an instructor, but I doubt it ;)

What's really odd is when I have a more experienced student that already runs a good line and is a safe, smooth driver. The next step is basically finding speed and lowering lap times. But often they don't want to push harder, so I just sit there quiet, with the occasional "good job" or "you nailed that section". At that point, what is the advantage of me being there? I'd think they'd want to knock some seconds off their laps...
Posted on: 2008/12/3 18:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Yea, I am just having fun with Corvette guys. Here is a pic of me as Brian Cunningham's instructor at the brand new New Jersey Motorsports park in August. Man, I am so claustrophobic in those, I have to slide down against the sub strap to get any headroom.

Well, that was me getting ready for a 1 1/2 hour session in the 25 Hours of ThunderHill.
The adrenaline rush of getting ready to drive and the pitstop is so cool. Unfortunately, it fades after a half lap in the Miata.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 23:56

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Are you the one with the fancy helmet?
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Nowadays, every student I have wants me in the car every session of every day. I don't mind as that's what I'm there for, but it's odd to see this. I'd love to think it's because I'm that great of an instructor, but I doubt it ;)

What's really odd is when I have a more experienced student that already runs a good line and is a safe, smooth driver. The next step is basically finding speed and lowering lap times. But often they don't want to push harder,

I see a lot of this too, students really wanting someone in the car, especially the novices.

What I see with the intermediate drivers is one session's not enough to work on the little things. If the driver knows the lines and is already smooth, it takes a full session for the instructor to learn the driver. That's where working with the driver for a full day starts to pay off. My debriefs with these guys can take 15 minutes after the session and I use track maps quite a bit.
I try and get these guys on grid early in the first position and go over the map, 2 feet more of track to use here, 10 later braking here, etc. Then I shut up and have them close their eyes and go over the map in their head.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:15

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Unfortunately, it fades after a half lap in the Miata.

I would expected it to fade as you head down pit lane.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:23

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Thanks all, still reading the thread, still learning.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
Are you the one with the fancy helmet?

No, I was already in the car. I do paint my own helmits. You can see a little in my avatar.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:27

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I see a lot of this too, students really wanting someone in the car, especially the novices.

What I see with the intermediate drivers is one session's not enough to work on the little things.

Novices are easy to work with. They want to learn and you can basically beat them into submission.

The Intermediates are the tough ones. You usually wind up trying to correct some other instructors crappy method. I was instructing out at Barber and had a guy in a GT3 who had some previous track experience. First session out was just a quick intro of the track and then adjust the plan after assessing his skills. The big issue was he wasn't able to read the cars input. He put us into a gravel trap just before the final turn in his first session.

1) Way too much sawing with the wheel
2) Gets over his head with sensory overload
3) Shifting too much
4) Anxiety

The fixes

1) Smooth and consistent inputs
2) Concentrate on "your lines" not the car in front of you.
3) Leave it in third
4) I couldn't find that fix. Any time a person came up on him or passed him, it then became a race. I went through this for the whole weekend.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Unfortunately, it fades after a half lap in the Miata.

I would expected it to fade as you head down pit lane.

Well, you know T-Hill, just getting out of the pit with those 700 HP monsters coming down the straight is interesting.
So is driving in the mirror, "please don't hit me"
So is standing on the gas in one, coming out of a corner wondering if the motor's running.

Are you headed down there? I thought it was this weekend.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:33

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Are you headed down there? I thought it was this weekend.

25 hours is this weekend. I was supposed to be at Spring Mountain this weekend, but that fell through. I'll be heading down with a group for the 24 hours of LeMons after Christmas.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:35

Senior Guru
258 Posts

With SCDA I had a guy in a brand new Viper who had never been to the track ever. As an FYI, Loudon is NOT a place to screw around, at least 2 pros have died there. He is a contractor and is used to bossing all of his Union guys around and does not want to listen to a GD thing I say. He is doing tank slappers into every corner so I say pull in and let me out. I go to Bill who is Chief Instructor and tell him that this guy needs a new instructor. The call goes out on the corner worker radios that the Viper needs a new instructor. Ashley calls out "get Gary to work with him". Then they say "Gary is the one that wants out". They say OK then, Bill will deal with him. Sometimes, you just have to say no.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
With SCDA I had a guy in a brand new Viper who had never been to the track ever. As an FYI, Loudon is NOT a place to screw around, at least 2 pros have died there. He is a contractor and is used to bossing all of his Union guys around and does not want to listen to a GD thing I say. He is doing tank slappers into every corner so I say pull in and let me out. I go to Bill who is Chief Instructor and tell him that this guy needs a new instructor. The call goes out on the corner worker radios that the Viper needs a new instructor. Ashley calls out "get Gary to work with him". Then they say "Gary is the one that wants out". They say OK then, Bill will deal with him. Sometimes, you just have to say no.

Thankfully, in 8 years of instructing, I've only had 2 like that. The last guy had been in management in Audi. N.A, and thought he'd show everybody how fast an Audi sedan was. He wouldn't listen to a thing I said. He didn't come close to spinning the car, he came close to rolling the car. I asked him to pull into the hot pit to "show" him something. I showed him how fast I could get out of the car.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 14:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

Novices are easy to work with. They want to learn and you can basically beat them into submission.

The Intermediates are the tough ones. You usually wind up trying to correct some other instructors crappy method. [/quote]

Yea, that happens. Some, certainly not all, HPDE instructors are just guys with enough events to move into the advanced group. And there are drivers in the advanced groups that can't even run the correct lines.

Correcting crappy methods is much harder than instrucying someone who is new.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 14:57

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You are a braver than I.

It's easy though to stay calm racing closely around the other cars, knowing they cost more!
Posted on: 2008/12/4 15:52

Aardwolf Re: Questoins about road racing/autocrossing....
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

I've been finding it's fun when different instructors have slightly different lines they show you. I try them both ways and see what's best for my car. Lines for momentum cars, in between cars, and high HP cars, are different so it's not that they don't know the lines. It's a fun mix of thinking/learning and having fun to me.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 16:46

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Think of the different lines as tools for your toolbox or weapons for the fight. You are the one ultimately that has to decide and the more tools (or weapons) that you have the better you will be prepared. It has been said in many ways, but "The more thou sweat in training, the less thou bleed in combat".
Posted on: 2008/12/4 17:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sometimes I run a different line if I'm stuck behind a higher hp car that doesn't move, and I need to back up a little then exit on the inside with more speed to get their attention. I guess that's why you can be a pro at running time trials and suck at wheel to wheel.

Its tempting to alter the line when there's a car behind me, but all that does is slow me down.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 19:47

« 1 (2) 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.