Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
188 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 2 (3)
 Register To Post

88BlackZ51 Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Jsup you have a way of making friends, lol. The Dart's had bigger ports (flowed much less) and were out performed by the smaller ports of the AFR's. It's very possible that we 'might' see a similar outcome when we look at your dyno curves compared to my small AFR's.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TonyMamo Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Hey wes, on this link provided eariler in the thread:

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewto ... =0&postorder=asc&start=30

You state, and I quote:
Quote:
I had no direct affiliation with any of the head manufactures at that point in time.

Now let me get this straight:

1. AFR paid for the dyno run.
2. Tony was at the dyno run, with the picture to document.
3. you were SELECTED by Tony to participate in this "experiment"
4. You got a significant discount on the product for your participation.
5. The heads were provided directly from the manufacturer directly for this test not off the shelf from some reseller.
6. AFR did all the flow numbers and testing on your Darts and cast iron heads, right? That's where you got all the numbers from isn't it?
7. Tony says we have "more" tests coming out soon. So I guess this was part of the AFR test cycle as it seems the reference to "more" would indicate as such.

How do you claim "no affiliation"? Or is the word "direct" some kind of out to make it seem different than it is? Or was the term "at this time" the out? Why feel the need to color the truth? Or do I have the truth wrong?

Was this or was this not totally coordinated with AFR and why not just say that? I don't understand why the wordsmithing? Just call it what it was, an AFR test with a donor motor from Wes for which Wes was compensated. I don't see the big deal of honest disclosure and why the attempt to color it as anything else.

Before you say no one wrote a check to Wes, let's look at that.

1. Three sets of heads flow benched for free. Compensation
2. Free dyno time to pick his combination. Compensation
3. Big discount on the AFR product. Compensation

Don't want to color the results with facts huh? Is there an NDA in play here? Seems clearly like affiliation to me, direct of otherwise.

That's the best you can do JSUP?

Starting to look very desperate....very sad.

For the record, I did not know Wes prior to posting about the AFR challenge (a situation that would require someone actually willing to TEST SOMETHING to prove his point which you casually dismiss because the results went against you).

After speaking with him for a little bit and hearing about his unique situation (having ported factory heads, Dart heads, and willing to take the time to PULL HIS ENGINE so we could test everything on much more reliable engine dyno), it became apparent to me all to quickly that this was a perfect situation. The fact he was close just made it a little more convenient and allowed us to meet at Westech which is a premier testing facility (two engine dyno's and a chassis dyno) to get this done. Have you ever even stepped foot in a dyno cell??

I would have done all the testing on the flowbench for anyone for free as I clearly laid that out in the CF thread about the original testing. Without that data the dyno results wouldnt have been nearly as complete or pertinent if you will (showing "dry flow" prevailing once again). We did pay for the dyno time as originally discussed and offered a moderate discount on the heads also as originally discussed (a few hundred dollars). I give you a guarantee in writing Wes spent more on this test than both of those figures combined....easily twice that factoring in his time. I told him his headers were too small to take advantage of all the heads....he manned up and spent the better part of a weekend installing larger headers to have a better more accurate baseline and to better maximize the AFR headed combo later assuming we came out on top.

He spent money on track fees, gas to get there, head gaskets, intake gaskets, new hydaulic roller cam and lifters.....I could go on and on.

I would drop this marketing ploy of yours like a hot potato....I assure you that it wont be received very well. When I mentioned to Wes it would be really nice to test this stuff on an engine dyno and make parts swapping much easier he didnt hesitate a minute to tell me he would pull the engine from his car and deliver it to Westech...this guy stepped up bigtime and you had better believe it.

In fact if this board (and others) had more guys like Wesley on it, guys like you (keyboard jockeys that never actually test or swap parts to confirm or deny their own beliefs) would get run out of town much sooner. You still havent even tested your own combo....I know transmission issues....blah blah blah. And...."it doesnt matter and you dont care if you left power under the table". Then why should you even have a voice in conversations dealing with others who DO care about that extra power and strive to choose the best components in an effort to get there.

Your just starting to sound like a sore loser honestly and while some people are still amused, most are just rolling their eyes....

I was actually impressed that it seemed you decided to drop it....what was I thinking....LOL

-Tony
Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:43

pr0zac Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

jesus christ. i have used all kinds of different heads changed cams yada yada. did i dyno them, nope. i could tell a fucking difference and where in the power band it felt stronger or weaker. and i knew what it would and wouldn't beat. the point of my argument is that there is options. every build doesn't have to end with bolting any one certain brand of heads to a engine. period. its great afrs were that much more well designed that they could beat the darts by 25hp. but not everyone is looking to make 600hp. and i don't really give a dead rats ass what heads you use but i am not going to recommend afrs to someone that is looking to get 300-400hp out of their car. especially if there is a budget. there are plenty of cheaper, even stock heads that will be fine.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 19:06

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
jesus christ. i have used all kinds of different heads changed cams yada yada. did i dyno them, nope. i could tell a fucking difference and where in the power band it felt stronger or weaker. and i knew what it would and wouldn't beat. the point of my argument is that there is options. every build doesn't have to end with bolting any one certain brand of heads to a engine. period. its great afrs were that much more well designed that they could beat the darts by 25hp. but not everyone is looking to make 600hp. and i don't really give a dead rats ass what heads you use but i am not going to recommend afrs to someone that is looking to get 300-400hp out of their car. especially if there is a budget. there are plenty of cheaper, even stock heads that will be fine.

Lets keep it civil Prozac...

Did you forget I had the opportunity to flowcheck and pour your heads? You almost paid as much second hand for a set of freshened up ported stock casting as you would have paid AFR for a brand new set of our 100% CNC ported street heads (within a few dollars). But you didnt get aftermarket castings with a .750 thick head deck and you didnt get our premium 8mm lightweight valve and spring/retainer package either. Not to mention our 210 street head outflows your 240 cc ported OEM casting on the intake and really beats it up badly on the exhaust side. Which do you think would run harder at the track (and on the street) as well as provide you with a ton more part throttle and SOTP acceleration at low RPMs (not to mention get better fuel economy).

Your the perfect example of why sinking a bunch of money in a 20 year old design is NOT a good investment, and why taking the plunge on a clean sheet of paper much more efficient recent design definately is.

Sure....a guy on a tight budget could maybe drop a new valvejob in his head and do some bowl blending, but if that job turns into needing new guides, aftermarket valves, etc. its foolish to sink big money in stock OEM castings. You wont even get that close to the better "as cast" stuff on the market today and fall way short of the Eliminator performance potential and not even save much money (or possibly spend the same or more when the smoke clears!).

I know for a fact that many fall into that trap thinking its going to save them money and hopefully be "close" to a good aftermarket head in performance....they end up missing on both sides of the equation. Money gets close to the same and the performance falls short by quite a bit....a lose-lose situation. I probably speak to one person a week that does this so I know what Im talking about. The worst of it is later on when they look for the perfoemance they missed the first time (and learn from the error of their ways), they end up purchasing our product anyway and the project winds up costing them twice as much as it would had they done it right the first time.

Advocating buying ported OEM stuff is very dicey and I urge all who are considering it to think it thru befor you pull the trigger....is the money you might save in the long run really worth it (and factor in the TOTAL cost of the swap and time involved with gaskets, machine work like milling and upgrading to threaded rocker stud holes perhaps, a tune, labor costs for the swap, possible chassis dyno time, etc., etc.).

You would be surprised how quickly everything adds up...and I guarantee you this....figure the cost per horsepower of the swap and the AFR's will be clear winners every time.

-Tony
Posted on: 2008/12/28 21:35

1989GTA Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Guru
61 Posts

"but not everyone is looking to make 600hp"

No they aren't. But that was not the point of the test.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 21:58

jsup Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

You state, and I quote:
Quote:
I had no direct affiliation with any of the head manufactures at that point in time.

5. The heads were provided directly from the manufacturer directly for this test not off the shelf from some reseller.
6. AFR did all the flow numbers and testing on your Darts and cast iron heads, right? That's where you got all the numbers from isn't it?
7. Tony says we have "more" tests coming out soon. So I guess this was part of the AFR test cycle as it seems the reference to "more" would indicate as such.

How do you claim "no affiliation"? Or is the word "direct" some kind of out to make it seem different than it is? Or was the term "at this time" the out? Why feel the need to color the truth? Or do I have the truth wrong?

Was this or was this not totally coordinated with AFR and why not just say that? I don't understand why the wordsmithing? Just call it what it was, an AFR test with a donor motor from Wes for which Wes was compensated. I don't see the big deal of honest disclosure and why the attempt to color it as anything else.

Don't want to color the results with facts huh? Is there an NDA in play here? Seems clearly like affiliation to me, direct of otherwise.

That's the best you can do JSUP?

Starting to look very desperate....very sad.

For the record, I did not know Wes prior to posting about the AFR challenge (a situation that would require someone actually willing to TEST SOMETHING to prove his point which you casually dismiss because the results went against you).

After speaking with him for a little bit and hearing about his unique situation (having ported factory heads, Dart heads, and willing to take the time to PULL HIS ENGINE so we could test everything on much more reliable engine dyno), it became apparent to me all to quickly that this was a perfect situation. The fact he was close just made it a little more convenient and allowed us to meet at Westech which is a premier testing facility (two engine dyno's and a chassis dyno) to get this done. Have you ever even stepped foot in a dyno cell??

I would have done all the testing on the flowbench for anyone for free as I clearly laid that out in the CF thread about the original testing. Without that data the dyno results wouldnt have been nearly as complete or pertinent if you will (showing "dry flow" prevailing once again). We did pay for the dyno time as originally discussed and offered a moderate discount on the heads also as originally discussed (a few hundred dollars). I give you a guarantee in writing Wes spent more on this test than both of those figures combined....easily twice that factoring in his time. I told him his headers were too small to take advantage of all the heads....he manned up and spent the better part of a weekend installing larger headers to have a better more accurate baseline and to better maximize the AFR headed combo later assuming we came out on top.

He spent money on track fees, gas to get there, head gaskets, intake gaskets, new hydaulic roller cam and lifters.....I could go on and on.

I would drop this marketing ploy of yours like a hot potato....I assure you that it wont be received very well. When I mentioned to Wes it would be really nice to test this stuff on an engine dyno and make parts swapping much easier he didnt hesitate a minute to tell me he would pull the engine from his car and deliver it to Westech...this guy stepped up bigtime and you had better believe it.

In fact if this board (and others) had more guys like Wesley on it, guys like you (keyboard jockeys that never actually test or swap parts to confirm or deny their own beliefs) would get run out of town much sooner. You still havent even tested your own combo....I know transmission issues....blah blah blah. And...."it doesnt matter and you dont care if you left power under the table". Then why should you even have a voice in conversations dealing with others who DO care about that extra power and strive to choose the best components in an effort to get there.

Your just starting to sound like a sore loser honestly and while some people are still amused, most are just rolling their eyes....

I was actually impressed that it seemed you decided to drop it....what was I thinking....LOL

-Tony

Just so you know. I didn't LOOSE anything, I had nothing in it. You weren't competing against me, you were competing against Dart. I am not Dart, just so you know. I've own Dart, but I've owned Brodix, 113s, vortec, etc.. So I don't know what you mean by "I lost".

I posted here an apology before this happened, saying I guess you were right on the 40HP claim of CNC'd vs. As cast. Shame I had to prove your point for you using Brodix as validation, but OK, you were right. You came out ahead on this test, congratulations, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

I simply disagree with your conclusion, and that of the leghumping crew, that this test indicates that AFR will always be superior in every situation. The line from A to B on that is not clear to me. That pisses you off doesn't it? I just don't see why my position is wrong and I don't see how you can make that claim.

Here's a $300,000 car making 1200HP, they use Dart heads. Are you saying that they spent all that money to build a car and they are idiots? Seems most exotic big money builds are going Dart, Brodix, or All Pro. They must all be stupid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevro ... 53QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Oh, and plenty of your AFR guys have never tested anything either, just so ya know. Ask Ricky. I don't see this venom directed his way...double standards and all. I still fail to see how my dyno numbers or anyone else's have anything to do with anything.

OH, and to your point that people do things while other people sit around and talk about it. Well, this year I decided to bump up my L98. I bought the parts and built the motor. I did something stupid, lost a screw down the hole on an injector change, and I had to do it again. So, I did some research, and within 6 weeks of making a decision, I had a new motor in my car. My trans blew, I did some homework, and fixed it, got a new one. I am the LAST person to sit around and talk about what I MIGHT do, I actually do it. Meanwhile there's people here shooting their mouth off who have been talking a big game while four years later there's no motor in the car. I just didn't do what YOU want me to do, isn't that really the issue? So don't lecture me about keyboard jockies, because I have done it while your leghumping friends have been dreaming about it.

So again. It's nice to see a comparison, you came up 25HP up using a CNC'd head vs. an as cast, with bigger valves, I thoguht it would be closer to 40, but ok, you won bragging rights on this one. Congrats.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:22

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

to be honest i was going to send my heads out to be a stage 2. which for what i would need would have been about $1200 out the door. so whatever. i did pay more then i wanted to but oh well. and FOR THE RECORD bang for buck you paired them to a comp port smart guy. they aren't within a few dollars of the $1550 shipped i paid for my heads.. so unless you were looking to cut me a deal also, tell me another one.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:39

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
to be honest i was going to send my heads out to be a stage 2. which for what i would need would have been about $1200 out the door. so whatever. i did pay more then i wanted to but oh well. and FOR THE RECORD bang for buck you paired them to a comp port smart guy. they aren't within a few dollars of the $1550 shipped i paid for my heads.. so unless you were looking to cut me a deal also, tell me another one.

Exactly. Compared to a Comp Port. See, these are the things that drive me nuts, it's always a rigged comparison. There's always more to the story.

Oh, and Tony, yeah, I was going to let it go and not respond, until I saw you were trying to pass off this test as something it wasn't. This was a manufactured sponsored test. Why try to pass it off any differently, it does not change the results.

Just another layer to pile on to why I find a lot of your claims dubious. Two examples right here.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:40

BeachBum Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

So again. It's nice to see a comparison, you came up 25HP up using a CNC'd head vs. an as cast, with bigger valves, I thoguht it would be closer to 40, but ok, you won bragging rights on this one. Congrats.

Or we could look at it as an un-fair comparison because one of the cylinder heads was "Wet Flowed" and the other was not couldn't we ? Am I correct in saying you have been stating that "Wet Flow Testing" was the thing that makes power and that dry flow was old inferior technology ? Dart very, very clearly makes it known on their website that the Pro-1 Platinum 200 cc head in question receives the wetflow treatment in full..... and yet, the AFR received none !!..... thats really fair !!

If you answer no other question ever again, please answer to me, is Wet Flow treatment a performance advantage or is it marketing hype ?

But, here is a review of the two cylinder heads in question on this test:

AFR 195 street port cylinder head: 195 cc runner, 65 cc chamber, receives light cnc port work. Published Price: $ 1485

Dart Pro-1 Platinum 200 cylinder head: 200 cc runner, 65 cc chamber, receives CNC bowl blending, recieves the full wetflow treatment. Published Price $ 1460.60

With the exception of the Darts unfairly receiving the wetflow treatment, it looks pretty fair to me.

But, don't let me interrupt your argument with common sense..... carry on !
Posted on: 2008/12/28 23:28

BrianCunningham Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I put up some videos showing Wet Cylinder flow.

Follow the link for more, probes, carbs, bad valve jobs.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=6616&forum=1
Posted on: 2008/12/28 23:31

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Exactly. Compared to a Comp Port. See, these are the things that drive me nuts, it's always a rigged comparison. There's always more to the story.

Oh, and Tony, yeah, I was going to let it go and not respond, until I saw you were trying to pass off this test as something it wasn't. This was a manufactured sponsored test. Why try to pass it off any differently, it does not change the results.

Just another layer to pile on to why I find a lot of your claims dubious. Two examples right here.

WOW...Tag team misinformed comments. What a priveledge

How about its exactlty as I described....our 210 street porting (NOT the Comp package), did exactly what I said it did (outflowed the much larger ported stocker at any usable liftpoint). For that matter why not compare it to our 227 street porting....same price with even more of a lopsided advantage in flow compared to the 240+ cc ported stocker and still a significantly smaller cross section (our 227 street head actually pours about 223 cc's on average).

Or, lets compare it to our 195 Comp ported head (JSUP) which btw would have been the same or less money for a new version of the head Prozac purchased freshened up second hand. Considerably more flow to .600 lift with only 45 cc's smaller port. Hmmmm....which would run better??

Guys....give it up already....your looking for loop holes that dont exist. The problem with your entire attack is your hoping/assuming I am full of sheet about our product and our claims....the problem (with all your arguments) is I'm NOT, but as Beach Bum mentioned why should making sense or common sense have any merit. Its the Internet afterall...

-Tony

But hey....all this gives my porting hand a rest in between jobs and I get to spread the word and educate more people about our product.

BTW, dont beat up on Ricky....the engine isnt even in his car yet. I bet you he doesnt disappoint with a bunch of excuses and gets it on the chassis dyno rather quickly.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 23:50

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i am not looking for loop holes dude. i could care less. i am more then happy with what i have. you want to tell me there is going to be that much of a difference between my car and ricky's? great. good for him. good for you. good for everyone. i knew what i was getting into before i even bought the heads i have. i know within 20hp of what it should put out. end of story. its not a guessing game. i built a proven setup off of info that i gained from a professional that sells a particular setup. also have seen results from others that have the same setup. you can tell me whatever the hell you want till you are blue in the face. its not going to change what i have THAT DOES RUN IN MY CAR THAT I HAVE DRIVEN. you want to compare peckers drive your car down here and we can see.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:09

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

AND I NEVER SAID AFR HAD A BAD PRODUCT. i had a set. back when i bought them before the new line was out i wasn't exactly blown away by them, since then you have apparently stepped up the game and at the time i wasn't willing to take that risk of a new product. if it is working out for whoever. good on them. get your facts straight tony. i never said you were full of anything.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:12

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

Or we could look at it as an un-fair comparison because one of the cylinder heads was "Wet Flowed" and the other was not couldn't we ? Am I correct in saying you have been stating that "Wet Flow Testing" was the thing that makes power and that dry flow was old inferior technology ? Dart very, very clearly makes it known on their website that the Pro-1 Platinum 200 cc head in question receives the wetflow treatment in full..... and yet, the AFR received none !!..... thats really fair !!

If you answer no other question ever again, please answer to me, is Wet Flow treatment a performance advantage or is it marketing hype ?

But, here is a review of the two cylinder heads in question on this test:

AFR 195 street port cylinder head: 195 cc runner, 65 cc chamber, receives light cnc port work. Published Price: $ 1485

Dart Pro-1 Platinum 200 cylinder head: 200 cc runner, 65 cc chamber, receives CNC bowl blending, recieves the full wetflow treatment. Published Price $ 1460.60

With the exception of the Darts unfairly receiving the wetflow treatment, it looks pretty fair to me.

But, don't let me interrupt your argument with common sense..... carry on !

You have to be joking with this point. Either you clearly don't understand the role of wet flow and have no desire to find out, or this is some kind of bait, well, I'm not biting.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:33

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

You have to be joking with this point. Either you clearly don't understand the role of wet flow and have no desire to find out, or this is some kind of bait, well, I'm not biting.

Jsup, you gotta admit, it’s a pretty good point ! You do realize that you, JSUP, is the person that brought wet flow testing to the attention of the corvette community…. Not me. You have “repeatedly” stated that wetflow is the good stuff, and that dry flow is meaningless. (that last part is actually an exact quote) My question to you, how does it help ? Power ? Maybe gas mileage or something ? I dunno…. I’m trying to figure out why you have hung your hat on wetflow testing for so long….. I really do not know. Maybe the word is just cool….. and you thought you would run with that ??? I dunno…. You tell me, its your marketing jingle, not mine. But, I do know without a doubt, that you felt it was an advantage and quite frankly the reason why one should purchase a cylinder head over another….. I think you had even gone on to the point of stating that “Dart had evolved beyond quoting flow numbers and instead talked about Wetflow”…..(That there is another one of those quotes that is just about word for word)

Btw, I knew and understood what wetflow testing was before you even owned your corvette……

One last thing, I know you’re not going to answer the above, because you have no answer…. You have no idea, and never did. But, here is something that you can answer….. you like to talk about these AFR leghumpers that “push” everybody into AFR with venom….. my only question is, and it’s a valid question, not meant to be a smart-ass question,... but who does that ? I seriously have never seen it and I’d like to read a post or two of people doing that. Can you link me to the actual post where its done ? I’m not talking about just a recommendation, everybody has their favorites, I’m talking about a guy pushing somebody else into AFR venomously as I think you have stated. Because, quite frankly, if somebody is venomously pushing another hobbyist into a selection, I too would agree with you…… that’s not quite right. But, somebody just giving a recommendation….. I think that’s A-okay, considering the person who created the thread in the first place was un-doubtly looking for opinions.

One more thing, you know I had heard where you said that you had created a fake post with a fictional motor that the set-up was perfect for a Brodix 10 or something to that effect, and people suggested AFR cylinder heads and you laughed about it. I’d love to see that post, can you link it…… I am curious as to what you believe is perfect for that particular cylinder head.

Thanks
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:02

1989GTA Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Guru
61 Posts

Let me say I'm currently running Dart Pro One 200cc heads on my motor and making good power. However I'm in the process of building up a new motor for more power and higher rpm and I'm going with the Dart SHP block and the AFR 195cc Competition port heads.

One of the reasons for the AFR selection besides the better combustion chamber design and flow numbers is the light weight valves and springs for higher rpm without valve float. I estimate my new shift points to be around 7000rpm.

I run Dart products and would buy them again but I feel at this point in time AFR has a better product. Simple as that.

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:14

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

1989GTA wrote:
Let me say I'm currently running Dart Pro One 200cc heads on my motor and making good power. However I'm in the process of building up a new motor for more power and higher rpm and I'm going with the Dart SHP block and the AFR 195cc Competition port heads.

One of the reasons for the AFR selection besides the better combustion chamber design and flow numbers is the light weight valves and springs for higher rpm without valve float. I estimate my new shift points to be around 7000rpm.

I run Dart products and would buy them again but I feel at this point in time AFR has a better product. Simple as that.

I pretty much agree..... I ran Dart cylinder heads for over 7 years before switching to AFR's, I won most of the below trophies with the Dart's, those are not just bracket racing trophies, but also late model Heads-up shoot-out event wins as well. I never had a single problem with them.... I then did the same test that Wes did, except my test was on the dragstrip instead of the dyno.... I went over 2 tenths quicker with the AFR's without any other changes at all..... but that doesn't make me hate the Darts. I had a great time with them, but I do regret not switching earlier, might have been a few more wins if I had.

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/IMG_0129.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:26

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

Jsup, you gotta admit, it’s a pretty good point ! You do realize that you, JSUP, is the person that brought wet flow testing to the attention of the corvette community…. Not me. You have “repeatedly” stated that wetflow is the good stuff, and that dry flow is meaningless. (that last part is actually an exact quote) My question to you, how does it help ? Power ? Maybe gas mileage or something ? I dunno…. I’m trying to figure out why you have hung your hat on wetflow testing for so long….. I really do not know. Maybe the word is just cool….. and you thought you would run with that ??? I dunno…. You tell me, its your marketing jingle, not mine. But, I do know without a doubt, that you felt it was an advantage and quite frankly the reason why one should purchase a cylinder head over another….. I think you had even gone on to the point of stating that “Dart had evolved beyond quoting flow numbers and instead talked about Wetflow”…..(That there is another one of those quotes that is just about word for word)

I don't have a marketing jingle. Why do you guys keep acting like I have a dog in this fight? I don't give a rats ass who buys what. I never told anyone NOT to buy AFR but I've seen lot's of leghumpers tell people not to buy other brands. I can point you to at least two other forums where people wanted AFR and I said "that will be great for your application"..

I said wet flow was better than dry flow but not perfect. Repeatedly. Have you even read what I said? Wet flow has its limitations.

On one hand, wet flow, you're talking about designing a head, on the other hand, CNC porting, you're talking about changing that design. Give me a wet flow designed CNC head. If the two were competitive, you could not have both on the same head, it would be one or the other. Right? They are complimentary technology and each has its benefits. That is why it is not a good point.

I also said that this does not mean the hack and guess method does not work. I never said that. I said it is not as scientific and not as elegant. It takes longer to market to get similar results and is more expensive. I laid it out on this here forum, go search it.

Spintron and high speed cameras are the only way to see components in their operational environment, which I went through in detail here, but seeing as it wasn't AFR related, I guess no one wanted to read it.

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:29

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

1989GTA wrote:
"The religious type ferver that I was met with being told about leaving power on the table and under the curve and all the other happy horseshit you push."

That is the whole thing in a nutshell regarding JSUP. There are always a certain percentage people who will rebel against a certain product because the majority of people believe that product to be the best in its category.

I pretty much agree..... I ran Dart cylinder heads for over 7 years before switching to AFR's, I won most of the below trophies with the Dart's, those are not just bracket racing trophies, but also late model Heads-up shoot-out event wins as well. I never had a single problem with them.... I then did the same test that Wes did, except my test was on the dragstrip instead of the dyno.... I went over 2 tenths quicker with the AFR's without any other changes at all..... but that doesn't make me hate the Darts. I had a great time with them, but I do regret not switching earlier, might have been a few more wins if I had.

That's great BB. Worked for you. Does this now translate that no other head will ever produce better results on a given motor? And let's be fair, a 10 year old Dart design (assuming you didn't get the first head off the line) as cast vs. a current design and CNC porting. And you're surprised you got better results? I'm not. Dart claims 50ish HP over their older designed heads to their new Pro1s. Ya think you'd see a change with new Darts? You're basis on this is flawed for that reason. How can you even draw ANY conclusions based on those facts alone. Yet, on that faulty basis, you'll say AFR was better. It does not add up.

Are there guys running Brodix winning trophies?

It's great, you picked up time and credit AFR, as faulty as that was proven above. I'm happy for you. Does this mean you're going to brow beat someone and make insulting comments like "your engine will be a pig if you don't use AFR"?

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:35

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

1989GTA wrote:
"The religious type ferver that I was met with being told about leaving power on the table and under the curve and all the other happy horseshit you push."

That is the whole thing in a nutshell regarding JSUP. There are always a certain percentage people who will rebel against a certain product because the majority of people believe that product to be the best in its category.

That's great BB. Worked for you. Does this now translate that no other head will ever produce better results on a given motor? And let's be fair, a 10 year old Dart design (assuming you didn't get the first head off the line) as cast vs. a current design and CNC porting. And you're surprised you got better results? I'm not. Dart claims 50ish HP over their older designed heads to their new Pro1s. Ya think you'd see a change with new Darts? You're basis on this is flawed for that reason. How can you even draw ANY conclusions based on those facts alone. Yet, on that faulty basis, you'll say AFR was better. It does not add up.

Are there guys running Brodix winning trophies?

It's great, you picked up time and credit AFR, as faulty as that was proven above. I'm happy for you. Does this mean you're going to brow beat someone and make insulting comments like "your engine will be a pig if you don't use AFR"?

I'll start with the 10 year old "ported" Dart 200 cc cylinder heads that I removed from the motor and put on 11 year old unported AFR 190's..... and went faster. I can't help you if you do not understand that.... I've told it to you before. The testing was done by myself on my bracket car, which I could have dialed too a hundredths of a second without a trial pass.... the test was not flawed !!

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 1:56

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Just a few comments, you stated Wet Flow is better than dry flow..... again, right here in this thread. So back to my question. Whats the Benefit ? (Thats all I'm asking....)

Yes, it is. I never said it wasn't. It is a better tool to design a combustion chamber flr all the reasons I listed in the past. You can't DESIGN on dry flow, you can only hack and guess. I've been through this at nausea, I'm not repeating myself. Go search.

The short comming of wet flow is it's not in the operational environment that the motor runs, enter spintron and cameras. So yes, it is better to design on dry flow.

Quote:

I've put "Zero Words" in your mouth in this thread..... I can easily find quotes from you on everything I have stated..... you said them, I didn't make them up and everybody reading this thread knows it.... so I don't even have to link it, cuz they read them too.

Sure you have. You said I had a "jingle". You said that I said wet flow was the ultimate technology in head design. Go back and even read my posts at CF when I first bought it up. I said it was better than hack and guess but not perfect. Is that an unfair statement? I'd say not. You do realize that just about every head manufacturer is using it. Brodix, Edlebrock, All Pro, etc..... It's not just a Dart thing. If it were, I'd chalk it up to bullshit, which I said before. The only company that is not using it is AFR.

And see, BB, that right there is part of the problem. I point out the entire industry is spending billions of dollars and they are using wet flow. Because AFR doesn't use it it therefore has no value. As if Brodix, AllPro, Dart, etc.... are all stupid. If AFR isn't doing it, it doesn't count. With that obnoxious thread you started, I'd have to make the point you are suspect number one on this point. Ridicule a technology that every one is using because AFR doesn't. Pathetic and yes, that is leghumping.

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:03

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

And see, BB, that right there is part of the problem. I point out the entire industry is spending billions of dollars and they are using wet flow. Because AFR doesn't use it it therefore has no value. As if Brodix, AllPro, Dart, etc.... are all stupid. If AFR isn't doing it, it doesn't count. With that obnoxious thread you started, I'd have to make the point you are suspect number one on this point. Ridicule a technology that every one is using because AFR doesn't. Pathetic and yes, that is leghumping.

Jsup, I have no idea how AFR develops or manufactures their cylinder heads..... as far as I know they employ a dozen elves that develop the heads by dipping them in cheese whiz...... thus, you might want to re-consider the last paragraph.

btw, I'm not ridiculing WetFlow, I simply want to know why you like it, so far I've heard its elegant and harder when using a wet flow bench.... which apparently makes it better somehow. But, what is the benefit ? Is it HP ?
Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:\

Jsup, I have no idea how AFR develops or manufactures their cylinder heads..... as far as I know they employ a dozen elves that develop the heads by dipping them in cheese whiz...... thus, you might want to re-consider the last paragraph.

btw, I'm not ridiculing WetFlow, I simply want to know why you like it, so far I've heard its elegant and harder when using a wet flow bench.... which apparently makes it better somehow. But, what is the benefit ? Is it HP ?

Why don't you like wet flow? How did you come to the conclusion that it's worthless? Are all the companies using it stupid? Do they just throw money around for the hell of it? And yes, it was ridiculing.

It's not so much that I love wet flow. It is that I'd like to have a conversation on a head that does not come out of the AFR marketing brochure. What is so hard to understand about THAT? I put up threads on Spintron, no one cares, I talked about wet flow in depth, no one cares. Others have posted stuff, but no one cares.

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:26

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

As per Wes's test results, AFR's answer appears to be in the form of "Horsepower"..... what is the others response ?

I am happy that Wes got to do something we rarely or never have the chance to do. Try heads and see which best fits our application. If you bothered to read my earlier comments in this here thread, you'd see it's the conclusion that I disagree with. That there is no engine in the world that could possibly do better than an AFR head.

Quote:
btw, I didn't have a pre-determined solution for this test, and unless you think Wes is a liar, neither did he.

The test is what it is. A CNCd head vs. an as cast head on a particular motor that happened to like the AFR better. I'm glad Wes got the opportunity and got the best product for HIS NEEDS. His needs are not everybody's needs

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:41

Master Guru
751 Posts

Jsup, I've always known that Dart, Brodix, Trick Flow, All-Pro etc.... make good products. They have all been around for a long time and can make great power & reliability on many different applications. Go to CF and do a search, and I'll bet you find that I am the first person "ever" to utter the words "All-Pro" on that forum, in which I praised them.....

How, where and when AFR markets their product is quite frankly not my business..... it really isn't, so the fact that Tony is here defending his products do not bother me one bit, in fact I probably prefer it, you can get good clear concise answers on valvetrain issues or whatever direct from him.... I wish all vendors had somebody in the corvette community forums sharing and arguing with us.... cool beans is what I say. But, it also has no effect on my personal recommendations. I was recommending AFR's long before Tony was a member of the corvette communities and before I knew who he was, as many did.

But, back to the comparison between the cylinder head manufacturers, yes, no doubt about it, others have excellent products as well for many different applications, but for the 23 degree street/strip application, including motors ranging in size from 350 to 434's, they are very, very tough to beat..... in fact, I don't know who can do it without spending a bunch of bucks. But, that is just my opinion, don't be mad at me for having it..... and its an opinion also shared by others, don't be mad at them either, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion and offering it.... even if a person is wrong.

Tony would argue with me on this, but I think for some big cube motors intended to make big power utilizing a solid roller cam and intended operation of 7k and above, I think Brodix, Dart and All-Pro all have some very competitive products with AFR..... but back down to the 6500 rpm and under crowd so prevelant in the C4 corvette community, I'm not convinced anybody has the product to match them unless you spend extra money..... is that wrong to say that ? Are you okay with that ?
Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:57

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

25 HP is very substantial if you are a racer.... it really and truly is. I do not chase et as hard as used to when I was younger, but I still do..... and if you can find 25 HP somewhere without spending any extra coin, you had a GREAT day. I think you'll understand this much better if you ever take up racing.

OK, here's the question. I never want to run this car under 11.5 because I never want to do a roll cage, and lug nuts, and five point harness and all the other stuff. I'm looking for 11.5 and not a .1 more. I want a car that is fun on the street, and I'm breaking tires loose at 70MPH. Tell me again why I need that extra 25HP?

edited by CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/12/29 3:40

PeteK Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Posted by jsup:

OK, here's the question. I never want to run this car under 11.5 because I never want to do a roll cage, and lug nuts, and five point harness and all the other stuff. I'm looking for 11.5 and not a .1 more. I want a car that is fun on the street, and I'm breaking tires loose at 70MPH. Tell me again why I need that extra 25HP?

This question I may be able to answer, as I am in the same boat.
Simply put, it is more fun to build as much power as you can, and trim it down as needed. Certain tracks will "look the other way" when you break the 11.50 rule, assuming is on a test and tune, or street night.
I am occasionally asked by a track owner to spray the snot out of my car on a friday street car night. It allows him to whoop up some excitement for spectators. Track owners job is promoting, and they allow these things occasionally.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 14:40

BrianCunningham Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

For the record my Wet Flow thread, mine not someone else's, was suppose to be a serious post.

I guess what's going on in this thread made people take it for something else.

Heads and intakes designed for a carb, such as the OP, are a lot different then those designed for injection, or should be anyways.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 15:59

CentralCoaster Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I spent an hour trimming the fat. Let's stay on topic now.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 18:22

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

Posted by jsup:

Simply put, it is more fun to build as much power as you can, and trim it down as needed. Certain tracks will "look the other way" when you break the 11.50 rule, assuming is on a test and tune, or street night.
I am occasionally asked by a track owner to spray the snot out of my car on a friday street car night. It allows him to whoop up some excitement for spectators. Track owners job is promoting, and they allow these things occasionally.
how about a video of that..
Posted on: 2008/12/29 18:57

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

Posted by jsup:

how about a video of that..

If I had one, I would post it up.
Maybe in 09 I will drag the video cam to the track.
Posted on: 2008/12/29 19:53

dan0617 Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I went on test and tune day and laid down an 11.43 in a vert. I am to have a cage at like 13.99. I don't have a single SFI approved part on the car right now. Nobody said a word. They just checked for nitrous blow down tube, no chitty looking clamp job on fuel lines, etc. I want quicker. I'm hoping for a 10.50 this year. I'd run in the 8's if I could afford it.

My question for this thread is this: Wes, post up the cam specs for each cam!
Posted on: 2008/12/30 2:46

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I went on test and tune day and laid down an 11.43 in a vert. I am to have a cage at like 13.99. I don't have a single SFI approved part on the car right now. Nobody said a word. They just checked for nitrous blow down tube, no chitty looking clamp job on fuel lines, etc. I want quicker. I'm hoping for a 10.50 this year. I'd run in the 8's if I could afford it.

You ran at the same track that I am referencing.
Posted on: 2008/12/30 2:49

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

I think Wes is going to be out of pocket for awhile traveling with his family.

The original flat tappet solid was a single pattern 236/236 on a 112 LSA....the new hyraulic roller was basically a shelf XE grind (Comp Cams), that I instructed Comp to grind on a slighter wider LSA (112 also....shelf cam was 110') in an effort to tame the idle a bit, increase vacuum, and aid in drivability.

The engine had the highest vacuum readings with the AFR 195's btw, which was around 13" @ 1000 RPM. It would be better in the car at 875 or so and would likley drop to 11" at that RPM....maybe a tad more but still plenty for a street car with 400 CID of displacement (395 to be exact). It will drive perfectly smooth at practically any RPM with the right carb tune. Cant wait to get Wes's reaction to the new motor in the car....its going to act like a completely different powerplant.

-Tony
Posted on: 2008/12/30 4:53

wesmigletz Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

jsup,

Here is my full post from the other thread. You are clearly taking my words out of context. Is that how you guys that work in marketing do it?

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:21 am Post subject:
Wolfplace wrote:
Tod85
Looks suspiciously like Wes's deal

Hey Mike, that would be my test. Small internet, huh? Thanks for the Morel lifters, the con rods, and the advice!!!

With regards to the test, I tried to keep it as scientific as possible within the constraints of my application. One of the constraints was a low hood clearance, thus the Team G intake, the second being I wanted a somewhat mild cam. I'm sure a bigger cam would have delivered more top end HP, but I doubt my wife would have liked the idle when she is putting arond town, fouling plugs. Finally, I am currently running an 1800-2200 stall converter, and a 3.36 gear.

Driven as tested in the baseline test, with the flat tappet cam and Team G, the car went a best of 12.77 @ 107.XX (It's gone 108.XX, but not on that pass) at Famoso on 10/26/08. With the same engine and a Weiand #8120 intake, the car went 12.79 at Famoso on 10/19/08. The car is not optimized for sure. All shifts were at 5000 RPM (with the Stock shifter left in D), and the car is trapping around 5000 - 5100 RPM.

[b][i]With that said, I was looking to go quicker and wanted to try another set of heads. I jumped in the middle of a nut-swinging love fest thread on another forum, and offered to put up or shut up with my car. I had no direct affiliation with any of the head manufactures at that point in time.

I've been happy with my 1962 Camel Hump heads that Mike Stark ported, and to be honest was kinda hoping to beat the aftermarket heads with them. They did better than most expected...

Any way, the results are posted above. During the course of the test, I was impressed by the difference the HR cam made, and the numbers put-out by the AFR heads.

Wes
1959 Corvette
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz[/b][/i]

I did not know Tony, nor did I ever meet him, prior to being selected for the test. This is not the first time you called me a liar or questioned my motives in a thread. This isn't the first time you thanked me for my efforts in a thread, then within the same thread called me a liar or questioned my motivations. Are you mental? Seriously!!! Why would you "thank/congratulate/leg hump me" in one part of a thread, and call me a liar in another post within the same thread?

I do not know what yur problem is. I do not care. However, I do not want you posting in any more of my threads. Your posts are like a cancer, they seem to kill every thread they touch.

WRT your post:

No shet
Congratulations, you're not blind
I wouldn't have been in the pic with him otherwise
What percent off of list constitutes "significant"? Most expensive friggin discount I ever got FWIW.
Not sure what you are stating here.
6. AFR did all the flow numbers and testing on your Darts and cast iron heads, right? That's where you got all the numbers from isn't it? What do you mean by all? I've posted the flow sheet for my camel hump heads that were provided by Mike Stark heads several times on this forum and others. They've been posted on some of the forums over two years ago. WRT, this cylinder test, all the heads were measured/poured by the same person flowed on the same bench, under the same conditions, and with the same correction factors, by the same person. Heck this individual has said as much, and he even posted in this thread! Do you know a better way to eliminate the variables and establish the baselines?
I can't speak for Tony or AFR. I have no idea what they have planned.

[jsup]Before you say no one wrote a check to Wes, let's look at that.

[jsup]

1. You need to loosen your tin foil hat. The heads were flowed to establish a baseline, which would later be used as data, when comparing the power output of each head. Do you have a better way of doing it?

2. Yeah right. These tests didn't cost me a dime!

3. Big discount? You've got to be shetting me. You obviously don't know Tony. The guy is tighter than a fish's hole... not that there's anything wrong with that.

I can assure you there is no NDA, not even a contract. We exchanged emails, we talked on the phone, we met, we agreed as to what each of us would do, shook hands, and did it. It really was that simple. However, I suspect people like you do not operate that way, and as such, are unable to relate to those who do.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

You state, and I quote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2008/12/30 8:59

Master Guru
751 Posts

doesn't matter....
Posted on: 2008/12/30 22:38

dan0617 Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

The original flat tappet solid was a single pattern 236/236 on a 112 LSA....the new hyraulic roller was basically a shelf XE grind (Comp Cams), that I instructed Comp to grind on a slighter wider LSA (112 also....shelf cam was 110') in an effort to tame the idle a bit, increase vacuum, and aid in drivability.

The engine had the highest vacuum readings with the AFR 195's btw, which was around 13" @ 1000 RPM. It would be better in the car at 875 or so and would likley drop to 11" at that RPM....maybe a tad more but still plenty for a street car with 400 CID of displacement (395 to be exact). It will drive perfectly smooth at practically any RPM with the right carb tune. Cant wait to get Wes's reaction to the new motor in the car....its going to act like a completely different powerplant.

-Tony

Thanks Tony!

The horsepower peak for both cams is a little higher than I expected it to be considering the int/exh. duration and the cubes. I would have guessed the peak to be around 5600. I'm guessing the intake and carb helped pull the peak up a few hundred rpms, but again, I'm guessing.

Thanks Wes!

I appreciate the effort you put into this. I won't even get into the head debate as that has been beat to death and I have nothing to add or take away there. I think it is great for people considering a build to be able to look at your 4 different scenarios with dyno results to back them up. One can build one of those combos and know what to expect, or use one of those combos as a now known baseline and change slightly to suit personal needs. Great work!
Posted on: 2008/12/31 0:17

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Thanks Tony!

The horsepower peak for both cams is a little higher than I expected it to be considering the int/exh. duration and the cubes. I would have guessed the peak to be around 5600. I'm guessing the intake and carb helped pull the peak up a few hundred rpms, but again, I'm guessing....

Actually check out the peak with the stock ported heads....its about where you had guessed. Better heads will always allow a milder combination to peak later because even though the valve events are short, they are still able to adequately fill the cylinder.

The fact I ground the cam on a 112 also helped the power curve hang on (wider LSA's always do that) and the single plane intake also pitched in to allow the curve to carry a little better as well. Honestly a port mathced cleaned up RPM air gap would have made the same peak power figure and added 20 ft/lbs to the peak torque numbers and a ton of area under the curve....I wish Wes could have fit that intake but unfortunately he had to go with a lower profile manifold. Would have been cool to test both....probably one of my only regrets from the testing.

-Tony
Posted on: 2008/12/31 2:30

wesmigletz Re: Engine Dyno Predictions:
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
Honestly a port mathced cleaned up RPM air gap would have made the same peak power figure and added 20 ft/lbs to the peak torque numbers and a ton of area under the curve....I wish Wes could have fit that intake but unfortunately he had to go with a lower profile manifold. Would have been cool to test both....probably one of my only regrets from the testing.

-Tony

Tony, I'm starting to regret not testing a RPM Air Gap, or an Airstrike, too, because those intakes would have fit my Chevelle and truck. It would have probably taken less than 30 mins to swap one out on the dyno... if I would have known how easy it was to work on the dyno, I would have tried to make it happen.

BTW, just razzin you about the fish's hole... it comes from a Chinese proverb.

Anyway, it was just one of the many things I picked it up travelling 4K miles, trapped in a mini-van full of Chinese-Indonesians, and I was dying to use it...
Posted on: 2008/12/31 3:07

« 1 2 (3)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.