Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Notorious Longest lasting wax?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I don't really like to do this very often so I don't care about which is considered the best shine. I doubt I could tell the difference anyway. (nor do I really give a shit) But which ones do you think offer the longest protection?
Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Longest lasting wax?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

You could always pay a pro to do it for you. They have to eat too ya know.
:detail2: .
Don't you guys have a shop apprentice looking to learn new stuff?
Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:27

Schrade Re: Longest lasting wax?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

I've used all the cheap and mid-grade waxes, and amongst them, the only differences I've notice was how much oil was left after application.

I don't wipe off the dried wax either; I keep rubbing it in until it is all clear.

If it gets too dry, put a little water in the top of the pad, and let it flow through to the surface. I've noticed even the cheap ones leave a great gloss, but also some oily spots.
Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:28

Resized Image

Jeffvette Re: Longest lasting wax?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
I don't really like to do this very often so I don't care about which is considered the best shine. I doubt I could tell the difference anyway. (nor do I really give a shit) But which ones do you think offer the longest protection?

I've been happy using Adams for the past two years. Easy on and easy off, plus you can buy it in bulk containers.
Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:38

Danspeed1 Re: Longest lasting wax?
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

Notorious wrote:

I've been happy using Adams for the past two years. Easy on and easy off, plus you can buy it in bulk containers.

+1

Never tried Adams because I got hooked on Zaino and their basically the same.

The battle between Carnuba, and Sealers continue... Many will claim that sealers outlast carnuba based wax's, but I still tend to use a traditonal wax for my winter protection.

Last year (when I was sick) my car sat from December (2007) to August (2008) with 4 coats of Zaino, and when it was time to polish her back up in the fall, the Zaino still was protecing on the sides of the vehicle.

In June I used Collinite on my Monte carlo, and it hasn't been waxed since; car stays clean, and is easy to touch up which is not the case with the sealers. Water still beads like crazy.

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: I would you Collinite 476s Super Double Coat for your long term and winter protection. My car is covered in salt all week (chemicals) and when I wash it at the end of the week it looks as good as it did when I applied the coat of wax. Stuff truly is "Detergent Proof" as it is advertised!

The key to applying any wax with ease, and having long lasting results is to follow the directions first and foremost, and secondly apply in THIN layers not thick.

Just my $0.02
DG

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/1/5 22:02
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

BillH Re: Longest lasting wax?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I don't buy the hype on the sealers and don't buy the hype on almost all the consumer stuff.

Meguiars NTX doesn't last that long.
Meguiars carnuba last quite a while.

I've never tried Zaino but heard it's harder to remove the hase than most.

Thin layers- definately.

One other think I wanted to mention in the other thread. If you spend 15 minutes with masking tape and an xacto, you can save yourself a lot of grief because the plastic stuff will get screwed up if you hit it with a buffer. i mask the doorhandles, antenna gasket side marker lites and all the front lites.

Dan, where can I get the Collinite ?
Posted on: 2009/1/5 23:26

Jeffvette Re: Longest lasting wax?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I used to use Zaino, but what really pissed me off with them is the small containers. I wanted to buy gallon jugs of the detail spray and car wash. But never could. Those are the most consumed things by me when I deliver a customers car. I can get the Adams stuff in the larger jugs and they are easier to deal with, plus they give discounts.
Posted on: 2009/1/6 0:02

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I don't buy the hype on the sealers and don't buy the hype on almost all the consumer stuff.

Meguiars NTX doesn't last that long.
Meguiars carnuba last quite a while.

Thin layers- definately.

One other think I wanted to mention in the other thread. If you spend 15 minutes with masking tape and an xacto, you can save yourself a lot of grief because the plastic stuff will get screwed up if you hit it with a buffer. i mask the doorhandles, antenna gasket side marker lites and all the front lites.

Dan, where can I get the Collinite ?

People get hyped about sealers for all the wrong reasons (durability). Sealers offer different optics than carnuba(they look different). They will make your car look like it is encased in glass; on black it make the paint look like a mirror, but it offers no wetness, gloss, or warmth, and it will not combine with most glazes, so your out of luck if you want it all. When it comes to sealers people get hyped because they perceive it has better durability then carnuba waxes and in some cases they do. But up against a wax like 476s, its not any better or worse. I guess people view synthetic sealers like synthetic oil, becuase its man-made it can be made more durable. Fact is, people are not rubbing 100% carnuba on their cars. This stuff is all synthetic to an extent! Sealers have their purpose though. If you have the PATIENCE and $$ to buy a small zaino kit is is definitly worth a try if you have a black car. And Zaino can be topped ONCE with wax, so you can get the warmpth back... last time I checked though you can't top more Zaino on (once you wax your finished).

I was hooked on Zaino for a while on my Black SS and my Black Vette, but just recently I gave P21s (carnuba) a try, and it doesn't take long to get hooked on the dripping wet look that P21s gives you on a black car.

I would have to agree, I gave Megs NXT series a try and its junk compared to my upper end stuff. If you want a decent off the shelf sealer, you can use Klass (my buddy uses it and its ok) and you can use Zymol if you want a carnuba. Only thing I don't like about Zymol is that its slightly abrassive, and you don't always want abrassive.

Quick "Wax" all together is a joke....

Zaino is really easy to remove if you follow the directions. When they say thin coats they mean really thin, almost invisible coats. Put it on heavy and your going to need the Rotary to get the shit off. The Zaino Motto "Less is More!"

I always mask everything off with 3M Green tape. I learned the hard way with my rotary that you need to take the time and mask off any and all rubber.

I usually order all my stuff off Autogeek.com, you can get all of the Collinite line their, Its available on Ebay, Danase carries 845, but I don't care for the durability or look of 845. Its way to warm, and its durable for about a month (people have gotten longer out of it, but i never seem to). 476s is also available from PakShak.com, where I get all my microfibers. I don't know if you can get it locally.

One note, 476s is like Zaino, you must follow the directions, and thin coats are the way to go. If you leave it on too long, its a biach to get off. If you follow the simple directions you will be extremely please with the results.

Here's the obligatory side pannel shot on my SS showing the mirror finish of ZAINO.... (you've all seen 100X)

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/GMNationals012.jpg[/IMG]

DG
Posted on: 2009/1/6 1:41
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

pianoguy Re: Longest lasting wax?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'd like to give Pinnacle Souveran a try, but it's an arm an a leg. It looks very easy to apply and remove, though.
Posted on: 2009/1/6 1:54

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I'd like to give Pinnacle Souveran a try, but it's an arm an a leg. It looks very easy to apply and remove, though.

Thats next on my list. I have been wanting to give Pinnacle a try for quite sometime, but I've had such good results with P21s I haven't bought any.

Pinnacle is cheap. Google Swissvax Devine and see what that will run ya.

DG
Posted on: 2009/1/6 2:31
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Thats next on my list. I have been wanting to give Pinnacle a try for quite sometime, but I've had such good results with P21s I haven't bought any.

Pinnacle is cheap. Google Swissvax Devine and see what that will run ya.

DG

Yeah, when you figure 20-30 applications from a jar (assuming that's reasonably accurate), the Souveran is not too bad. I am using some Griot's wax that requires a ton of elbow grease to get off, so I'd like to find something as good or better that is easier to work with.
Posted on: 2009/1/6 2:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I snagged the Pinnacle Souveran on ebay yesterday for $45 - figured at half price, I'll give it a whirl. Whenever it thaws here, that is.
Posted on: 2009/1/20 1:19

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I snagged the Pinnacle Souveran on ebay yesterday for $45 - figured at half price, I'll give it a whirl. Whenever it thaws here, that is.

NICE DEAL.... Did you win it or was it at a fixed priced auction?

I haven't used it but from the pictures I have seen, I doubt you will be unhappy.

DG
Posted on: 2009/1/20 1:31
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

It had been opened to show to a customer - had a buy it now for $45, so I grabbed it. I got outbid a little while back on another one that was cheap (not this cheap, though). Looking forward to seeing the results! Hell, I'm looking forward to seeing pavement that isn't accompanied by a snowbank :-P
Posted on: 2009/1/20 1:42

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

O I C .... Its going to be a while before the white shit is gone... I feel your pain...

DG
Posted on: 2009/1/20 1:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.