Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
268 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

patgizz new garage- what would you do?
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

my new house has a 26' wide by 32' deep garage, about 20 years old pole built, still looks new. the electric is lacking, they just ran romex through underground conduit and have one 110V circuit for the whole deal and one shop light in the middle. totally not cool for vehicle stuff.

we're going to upgrade the house panel, have to because it has one of the old recalled federal pacific breaker boxes. depending on the main size i'm going to call my electrician and ask about upgrading to a 200 amp main service. my dad is a trained "super milrite" from the steel mill and had to take every electrical class that an electrician would in order to be licensed by the state to perform electrical work in the mill, and he will be doing everything.

as for the garage - we will be running a new 220V line to it and putting in it's own main panel. there will be plenty of lighting.

with a blank slate - what would you do? i'm planning to position all the outlets at workbench height so no matter where stuff ends up along the walls i will not block outlets.

would you hard plumb air lines or stick to hoses?

stuff that is a given and will be moving with me:

60 gallon upright compressor
large blast cabinet
20 gallon parts washer
52" roller tool chest
26" roller chest(houses all my automotive elec/plumbing supplies)
30x80 steel worktable
welding cart w/ welder
usually 2-3 engines on stands at a time

need space for 2 bench grinders, have thought of mounting them right off the wall but any thoughts?

there is a 5' wide overhead door that goes out the rear of the garage, i've already thought about adding on a room in the back for the compressor, blast cabinet, storage of engines on stands, and general parts inventory that may otherwise take up valuable floor space, but this would have to be next year.
Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: new garage- what would you do?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

You planning on making workstations for different projects? Ie: tool storage and bench in one area, welding in one area, grinding in one area, etc? I think you would want to keep flammable materials away from the grinding areas.

I think the sep. area for the large compressor would be a good idea especially if it's noisy. They can be annoying. I can't help with hard lines vs. flexible.

Post some pics!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/2/26 1:51

red_johnny Re: new garage- what would you do?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Jeesh, I think you just about got the tool part covered. Maybe a lift if you got the coin. As far as the hard line or not I would go hard line if its easier for you but if it were me I would go and run a line up to the top and center it the add a coiled drop down line that you can reel up or down. My dad did that and its very nice to just reach up and grab the air line. It hardly ever gets in the way as you never have to step over it.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 2:04

CentralCoaster Re: new garage- what would you do?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've thought of actually installing lighting along the baseboard of the walls in some places. This would light up the underside of anything you're working on. Bright shop lights above are no good if they cast shadows under everything.

I would also paint the interior white, this will reflect more light.

An overhead hose reel would probably be good enough.

Is compressor noise going to be an issue? Might not be a bad idea to put that in a seperate room or closet and insulate it. Just make sure it can breathe enough or else has an exhaust fan.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 3:45

BillH Re: new garage- what would you do?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If you're going to build engines, the first thing I'd do is clean and paint the floor. It makes a big difference, oil spills wipe right up instead of soaking in, etc. Products like U-CoatIt would run about $300 for that size shop in one color. And, like CC said, white walls.

I'd definately have all the bench grinders, blast cabinet, welder, etc. at the opposite end of the shop from whwre you do your builds, possibily separated by a curtain wall on a track.

I've been looking at the inexpensive storage cabinets at Home Depot. 3 foot by 18 or 24 in deep and 6 ft high - $100

The new Summit tool catalog has a compressor semi hard line tubing (50 ft) and fitting kit for $60.

I personnally wouldn't mount the grinders on the wall. Once in a while trying to grind or wire wheel a long piece at an angle, the wall gets in the way. Plus you can move them if they're on a stand. I wouldn't have any trouble using the inexpensive Harbor Ft. stands.

Elect. outlets at bench height works really well. We had the 6ft strip outlets (with sockets every 8 inches) in the raceshop. I'd also build a shelf with at least 4 outlets for all the damn battery chargers that clutter up the work bench,drill, impact, LED worklite, etc.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 14:49

Durango_Boy Re: new garage- what would you do?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I have the Harbor Freight grinder stand and it's too short. I'm going to have mine extended so I don't have to bend over.

For noise purposes, if you use a lot of air tools, a sound proof section for the compressor is a good idea. Make sure it's ventilated. Soft wall lines won't be a problem if they are easier for you to run than hard lines, and you can use the coiled drop lines for the air tools. It'll keep things quiet for you.

I installed two overhead retractable extension cords in my garage, one on each side. One is a multi plug and the other is a drop light with a plug. Perfect for quick power needs that are easy to get out of the way.

Multiple overhead lights are great, but as mentioned they create shadows. The only problem I found with low wall mounted lights is they can blind you when you're under a car and looking towards one on the opposite side.

A good radio is a must for continuous tunes, and a beer fridge is almost more important than any tool in the garage. LOL.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 15:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
I have the Harbor Freight grinder stand and it's too short. I'm going to have mine extended so I don't have to bend over.

That's a very good point. It's probably more cost effective to extend a HF stand than to build your own.

Same thing with the work benches, I have one that's around 40 inches or so tall. It's much easier on the back.

Ditto on the beer frig.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 16:01

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Oh, another tip if you have older battery chargers, is a custom outlet just for the chargers. I used a dial light timer, and a four socket wall box. I installed the timer to control the sockets that the chargers plug into. My batteries have a timed charging limit of 3 hours. If you exceed that you destroy the batteries and chargers both. So, I set my timer to 3 hours exactly, and my batteries have lasted me for over 7 years now with continuous use in various cordless tools. The timer was one of the best things I did for my battery chargers. I can charge a battery and walk away and not have to worry and forget to check the amount of time it's charged.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 16:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

There's a science to running air lines also.

I've seen setups where they slope the lines up hill and then put dead legs in them, to catch condensation. Similar to how you'd install a steam line.

Basically the air coming out of the the compressor is hot and can condense when it cools through the long air lines.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:21

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Oh, another tip if you have older battery chargers, is a custom outlet just for the chargers. I used a dial light timer, and a four socket wall box. I installed the timer to control the sockets that the chargers plug into. My batteries have a timed charging limit of 3 hours. If you exceed that you destroy the batteries and chargers both. So, I set my timer to 3 hours exactly, and my batteries have lasted me for over 7 years now with continuous use in various cordless tools. The timer was one of the best things I did for my battery chargers. I can charge a battery and walk away and not have to worry and forget to check the amount of time it's charged.

Would you say this only applies to certain types of batteries or chargers?

I don't use my Dewalts that much, but I've left them on the charger for days at a time on occasion.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Also make sure you run a seperate circuit, or unswitched power for the garage door opener outlet! You don't want to kill it everytime you turn the overhead lights off.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:24

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Would you say this only applies to certain types of batteries or chargers?

I don't use my Dewalts that much, but I've left them on the charger for days at a time on occasion.

I think with more modern batteries and chargers you'd be fine because the chargers actually have some chip controlling the battery charge and they stop charging. The batteries and chargers I have don't have nay control or switch off means, like many older style batteries and chargers. New ones...not a problem, old ones...a problem.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
There's a science to running air lines also.

I've seen setups where they slope the lines up hill and then put dead legs in them, to catch condensation. Similar to how you'd install a steam line.

Basically the air coming out of the the compressor is hot and can condense when it cools through the long air lines.

Yep, what I do for the dead leg is to tee into the vertical down line where I want a quick disconnect, attach the disconnect to the horizontal leg of the tee and run a 6 to 8 inch piece of pipe below that with a pipe plug or a radiator bleeder to drain the line.

Or you can spend $900 for the smallest Ingersoll Rand refrigerated air dryer, tee hee hee.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 22:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.