Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Seats
Both could be power, neither could be.

However, if they are, they should move fore/aft and up down with little more than an electric motor whine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

josephf31 Help me with my top! separating from frame
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Hey all! Hope you can help with this problem.

On my 1991 C4 coupe, the smoke colored top has separated from the (metal?) frame across most of the front.

Is this something I can easily repair or is it easier/better to bring it to a place like a glass repair shop?

I did some checking and found that a product called Weld-On # 10 may do the trick, has anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with this or any other product?

Thanks!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/7 21:48

bogus Re: Help me with my top! separating from frame
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would say it's time for a new top or a total reconditioning... once the glue gives, it needs to be replaced entirely.

I would find a good glass shop and see what they say. As I understand it, the tops are made under pressure. The lexan is pressed onto the top frame, with the glue in the middle. The glue sets under tension. BTW, if anyone knows other details, please correct or share. I got this info from a Corvette specialty house.
Posted on: 2009/3/7 23:58

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Midnight85 Re: Help me with my top! separating from frame
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I would say it's time for a new top or a total reconditioning... once the glue gives, it needs to be replaced entirely.

I would find a good glass shop and see what they say. As I understand it, the tops are made under pressure. The lexan is pressed onto the top frame, with the glue in the middle. The glue sets under tension. BTW, if anyone knows other details, please correct or share. I got this info from a Corvette specialty house.

You are right on about how they do it, I watched one being done when I picked my new one up at Melrose. You are also correct that it isn't worth the hassle trying to find something that will hold the top together. I tried 3 times before getting a new one. To the OP, get a Melrose, stay far away from Astro
Posted on: 2009/3/8 1:19

josephf31 Re: Help me with my top! separating from frame
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

You are right on about how they do it, I watched one being done when I picked my new one up at Melrose. You are also correct that it isn't worth the hassle trying to find something that will hold the top together. I tried 3 times before getting a new one. To the OP, get a Melrose, stay far away from Astro

Thanks all got some more questions;

How much is new top?

Is it safe to get a refurbished one?

What's so bad about Astro?

Where do I find Melrose

Thanks again!
Posted on: 2009/3/8 2:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Astro's suck. It's that simple. I have never heard of one lasting more than about 18 months. Seriously.

Melrose? I don't know specifically. This is their site: http://www.melroset-tops.com/

You can get a refurb... but the key is prep. Melrose does refurbs, if anyone is gonna do it right, it would be them.

A new top is about $500.00 or so.
Posted on: 2009/3/8 2:48

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Give Jay a call at Vette2Vette, 815 673-6200. If he hasn't sold them he has a couple nice ones.
Posted on: 2009/3/8 4:48

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
Give Jay a call at Vette2Vette, 815 673-6200. If he hasn't sold them he has a couple nice ones.

Yup I know Jay have already bought quite a bit of stuff from them, was planning on calling him anyway.

Anyone have any experience with this place?;

http://www.corvettettops.com/84-96.htm

Also in researching this I have found that maybe marine adhesive/sealant will work?

If I can fix this without having to spend $500 to $1000 for a top I'd really like to...

thanks again all
Posted on: 2009/3/8 21:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I just don't think fixing the problem will be enough. Once the glue fails, it will continue to fail. It's like a zipper now and nothing will stop it. Remember the tension issue.

You might be able to play with the insurance company. If you have glass replacement, that is. My 92 got hit in a hail storm in April 2002. State Farm bought me a new top.
Posted on: 2009/3/8 21:48

Randyj75 Re: Help me with my top! separating from frame
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

My top developed a crack, and my insurance co. (State Farm) paid to replace it. Melrose will redo you top for $595.00. Good deal.

Randy
Posted on: 2009/3/9 1:23

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:
[quote]
Also in researching this I have found that maybe marine adhesive/sealant will work?

Marine epoxy is just one of the adhesives I tried and if memory serves me correctly it failed faster than the other two products. I realize it is a big cash outlay but I know of no one who has successfully re-attached their top. Give this some thought, if your top flies off at speed and happens to hit another car causing an accident, you could be in big trouble. There are many things you just can't shortcut on, this is one.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 1:49

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
Quote:

josephf31 wrote:
[quote]

Marine epoxy is just one of the adhesives I tried and if memory serves me correctly it failed faster than the other two products. I realize it is a big cash outlay but I know of no one who has successfully re-attached their top. Give this some thought, if your top flies off at speed and happens to hit another car causing an accident, you could be in big trouble. There are many things you just can't shortcut on, this is one.

Well looks like I'll have to bite the bullet on this one and spring for a new (or maybe used, but vette2vette has none) top...the good thing is I just got my tax refund!

How much does a Melrose top run, about, anybody know? and for the 'core charges' will they (Melrose, etc.) "deduct" for a core that is separating from the frame, but not cracked?

thanks again all
Posted on: 2009/3/9 2:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Melrose doesn't care about condition. All they want is the frame.

You see, on a reman, they put new glass on an old frame and add seals.

So separated... cracked... it don't matter. As long as the frame is ok, you are ok.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 3:54

THX138 Re: Help me with my top! separating from frame
Guru Newb
11 Posts

A friend had a glass shop come out and fixed his.If the top you have now is the original top for the car it will have the VIN number etched on the frame,might want to keep it and not turn it in for a core if you do get a replacement.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 4:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.