Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
234 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

itlgo2 Detailing tip / Removing water spots
Guru Newb
Missouri
288 Posts

A Detail tip / removing water spots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever noticed, when you sometimes wash your car, and
you don't get the water off with your shammy quick enough, like a sunny day and it leaves those litle bitty water spots in the paint,
and it seems no amount of rubbing will make them go away??
What has happened is the crap that is in our water has dried and attached itself to your car's paint.
On a Black car, Like mine, "Oprah MoneyPit" they are even easier to see.

Well, I have found the "old school remedy" to fix that problem.

..............................White Vinegar ...................

Yes, boys and girls,

WATER SPOTS
The spots and damage are caused by the minerals in the water. Calcium and metals are the most damaging elements found in your tap water, whereas rainwater may contain damaging acids from air pollutants.

Avoiding water spots is easy if you chase after them. The best solution is to use a quick detailing spray after you wash, or as soon as you discover the spots (i.e., when your neighbor's sprinkler gets you).

If the spots are allowed to dry and bake on, they will attach to and harden on your paint. When this happens, you need to use a mild acid to get them loose. Believe it or not, the best acid is also the least expensive and most available: a gallon jug of distilled white vinegar.

Expert car detailers have known this secret for years. If you take your car to a pro, they will tell you about the "magic acid bath" and charge you $60 or more for the pleasure of smelling like a pickle. Save the $60, put on some gloves, and get to it.

To give your car the magic acid bath, first wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in. Do one section at a time, let it sit 30 to 60 seconds, then rinse. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo and rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax. So, be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

My car sat in the sun for several days (sucks being me) causing the hard water deposits to harden. Vinegar will remove the spots from the plastic tail lights and rubber trim, but the paint will need to be polished and buffed with a buffer, or if you are not so equiped,(sucks being you) a little rubbing with a diaper will suffice.
If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). In this case, it is necessary to use a medium cut polish (if you have a polisher) or a fine cut polishing compound (for use by hand) to restore the paint surface.

So there you have it campers, water spots, are now history.
Of course there are some down sides, Vinegar has many uses, you might
find yourself competing with your wifey, or your local chef, so, i highly suggest, to go buy your own.
Happy polishing you waxers.
Pioneeer Z2/ bu Camera/ Nav
Posted on: 2009/4/1 22:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Detailing tip / Removing water spots
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yep, it does work pretty well. I had one case where it wasn't up to the task, though - we took my wife's black car to an afternoon party at a friend's house, and had to park across the street. The neighbor over there turned on his sprinkler at some point for a couple of hours, and the bright sun baked that crap in so good that there were still water spots on it when we got rid of the car years later.
Posted on: 2009/4/1 22:58

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Durango_Boy Re: Detailing tip / Removing water spots
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I have seen water spots so bad they required wet sanding and buffing to get rid of. Not fun.
Posted on: 2009/4/1 23:46

Danspeed1 Re: Detailing tip / Removing water spots
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Danase Water Spot Remover... Simply amazing

DG
Posted on: 2009/4/2 1:57
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

BillH Re: Detailing tip / Removing water spots
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The thing with vinagar does work provided the spots aren't very old. Once they're on for a while, they etch the paint and like DB & Itlgo said, compounding or sanding. Soft water really helps and you can buy a filter for your hose.

It's almost worse on your window glass but, old detailer's trick, chrome wheel polish does a good job on windows with fairly fresh water spots.

Speaking of vinagar, a 1/4 cup V and 3/4 cup water with 5 drops of dish liquid makes a great window wash.
Posted on: 2009/4/6 14:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.