Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
229 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Courtesy Timer
With the doors closed and the key off - the windows should still go up/down and the radio plays (1990-1996)....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman Switched back to my old wheels
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I switched back to my old wheels and removed the rear lowering kit on my 86 coupe. I could not take the rough ride anymore. Yes, the C6 wheels looked good, but I wont sacrifice my cars suspension, fiberglass body stress and my back. Anyone interested in a set of 18 & 19 Chrome wheels and tires?

Joe Flash

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0942.JPG (879.83 KB)
1655_49f6576e693d7.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_0958.JPG (849.26 KB)
1655_49f657ca42677.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_1034.JPG (891.97 KB)
1655_49f6593724845.jpg 3264X2448 px
Posted on: 2009/4/28 1:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Send a PM to Curtis74. He's in the market for some later model wheels and those are sure sharp.
Posted on: 2009/4/28 2:26

CSS996 Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I gotta say, I like the originals better.

That's a very nice looking ride!
Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:37

BrianCunningham Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Looks great!
Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:52

DaleD Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Not a big fan of the older wheels, but yours look excellent.

Maybe when you sell those other wheels you can get a nice set of offset correct 17" Z06s. Those would look great on your car.
Posted on: 2009/4/28 14:46

Flashman Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I will send him a pm. The tires and rims are in good condition with about 50% tread life left.The chrome wheels are clean with not a spec of brake dust or dirt on them. I need to get 1000 bucks for the tires and wheels. I also have C6 to C4 wheel adapters that I am selling separately. I was never crazy about the original wheels, but after polishing them, I am starting to like them.Probably go with 17" chrome wheels later down the road. or get a set like mine chromed. Black and chrome do go good together. Thanks for the kind comments. Take care.

Joe Flash man
Posted on: 2009/4/29 3:33

Epimax Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Man,
I like the originals better! Your Vette looks Great!
Posted on: 2009/4/29 9:06

VtVette Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Did you have your original wheels chromed or were they already chromed when you got the car?

I'm on the fence about ordering Chrome A-molds. I like chrome with black (my '93 is black) but, I'm concerned about the quality of the chrome job on aftermarket wheels.

I suppose I could get Chrome A-molds and when the chrome starts to go to hell have them blasted then re-chromed from a quality coater.

I also like the look of chromed sawblades but I would really like to go with a 11" wide rear and that means original ZR1 rears for sawblades which = $$$.

That or, I may just get polished A-molds and call it a day.

I can't recall ever seeing chromes 16" C4s. Your early C4 wheels look fantastic!
Posted on: 2009/4/29 16:08

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

The pictures that you see without the tires are a chrome wheel program from a seller on ebay. The wheels on the car are the original wheels that I polished. I just posted pictures of the chrome wheels to see the difference. Chrome is kinda loud and the reflection makes for an easy target for laser guns. I will live with the aluminum wheels for now. I have come up with and easy polishing program that can be done with the wheels on the car. I polished all 4 wheels in about 45 minutes.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/4/29 17:35

Eagle223usa Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

Nice job Flash, Did you strip the clear first? What did you use to polish them? Thanks!
Posted on: 2009/5/15 8:40

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

I used aircraft paint stripper from home depot. Wear gloves, paint it on with a cheap brush. Get the gel type. Remove plastic center caps or they will be toast. Stay away from the painted surface too. You may need two applications. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes for each coat. You wont hurt the aluminum. After, that you can wash them down with soap and water to get all the chemical off.Better yet, clean them with Brown Royal wheel cleaner and prep them wheels for polishing.

I polished my wheels with Malco professional metal polish. It works good and easy to use. It has no grit and wont scratch soft metals. We sell it at our online detail supply store. I also used a 3 inch wool buffing kit that we sell at our shop. You can attach it to a drill. Its a wool buff pad that fits perfect in the center and polishes faster and easier than that mothers ball. I polished all 4 wheels in about 40 minutes.I started wet sanding the wheels with 800 grit then 1500 grit and polish with a mini wool buff pad and the metal polish. The aluminum is crystal clear and they look like chrome.The results were amazing. I will post some pictures this weekend. I have two more wheels to sand and polish. Take care.

Joe Flash man
www.flashwax.com
Posted on: 2009/5/15 13:03

bogus Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Did you have your original wheels chromed or were they already chromed when you got the car?

I'm on the fence about ordering Chrome A-molds. I like chrome with black (my '93 is black) but, I'm concerned about the quality of the chrome job on aftermarket wheels.

I suppose I could get Chrome A-molds and when the chrome starts to go to hell have them blasted then re-chromed from a quality coater.

I also like the look of chromed sawblades but I would really like to go with a 11" wide rear and that means original ZR1 rears for sawblades which = $$$.

That or, I may just get polished A-molds and call it a day.

I can't recall ever seeing chromes 16" C4s. Your early C4 wheels look fantastic!

The problem isn't the quality... it's the process. Chrom is harder than aluminum. Aluminum flexes... bad things happen over time and no amount of chrom is going to stop that divergent hardness.

Also, I don't know about the offset of these rims for later C4s. Flashman - did you have to run spacers?

I love the new finish on the OEM rims. They look the best I have ever seen!!!! Awesome! I love it!
Posted on: 2009/5/15 14:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

Those pictures of the C4 chrome wheels were from a seller on ebay. I did not purchase them. I took the pictures down because of confusion. I will post pictures before and after sanding and polishing of my aluminum C4 wheels. I will be finishing them up tomorrow.I did see a set of chrome 87 wheels on a silver corvette at the NCCC show in Florida. They did look nice. I had to use wheel spacers on the C6 chrome wheels that I am now selling. 34mm for the front 18's and 38mm for the rear 19's.Take care .

Joe Flashman
Posted on: 2009/5/15 16:44

85L98-84L83 Re: Switched back to my old wheels
Guru Newb
113 Posts

The originals look good but they are on backwards.
Posted on: 2009/5/24 22:39

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

Good Observation. This picture was taken with the old tires on the car. The car was a neglected basket case before I restored it. Previous owner mounted the tires on wrong. I had to leave the wheels on this way to keep the tire rotation correct. I now have 4 new tires and a 4 wheel alignment. The car rides like brand new and the tires and wheels are correct.

Joe Flash man
Posted on: 2009/5/25 4:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.