Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Itimized list of items needed for DBL DIN DVD Install?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have read most of the posts here in audio and there is lots of great stuff, but I was wondering if there is any list or recipe for the items that will be needed to install a Double DIN Nav/DVD 7" screen HU into a late model C4 (1994)?

for example -- speakers, cables, amps if needed,
I know I'm asking for turn-key install and it may not be that simple. I see that lots of people are doing different things, but what I'm looking for is the consensus of install designs that looks the best and sounds the best with minimal fabrication.

If this has already been covered (which I'm sure it has somewhere) please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Posted on: 2009/5/10 11:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Itimized list of items needed for DBL DIN DVD Install?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Good question.

You will want to find where the tuner module is. It is either in the rear storage bin or in the dash behind the airbag. I am betting its in the storage bin (driver side). It is also bolted down. It is where the ABS brain is stored.

You will need an antenna extention to go from the module to the new head unit.

Remove all speakers.

Hell, remove all the interior! You will want to run wires for the new speakers and to do that, getting the console, seats and carpet out of the way will help a ton.

you can easily make a harness to run from the receiver to the new head unit to give it power, ground, memory and antenna control.

You don't need a dash kit.

Speakers... you don't want to screw with the Bose. If you can, get the Delco speaker baffles. From there, you can install a nice set of 5" 2 ways, or, if you are brave, 6" mids and tweets elsewhere (I really need to work on an install in a 94-96 so I can come up with some speaker install ideas, the 90-93 are EASY for three ways).

Now... rear... if you want something good, do some 8" subs. They will fit just fine, but will require fabrication to fit.

I recommend the JL Audio 8w3.

Amps... You will want a 3 channel. something to feed the front stage and something for the rear sub.

Rear fill is a joke in these cars... in fact, it's a joke period. You won't need them. The idea is that rear fill will bridge the frequency gap between the front stage and the sub. Well, the subs are soooo close to the front stage that it don't matter.

Also, the front stage is so important in these cars.

In my 92, I have a three way setup. 6" drivers in the floor, 4" mids in the middle of the door and 1" tweets in the top of the door. It makes for a great sound stage.

I will have to think about brands... But I like Focal speakers... pricy as hell, tho.
Posted on: 2009/5/11 6:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Randyj75 Re: Itimized list of items needed for DBL DIN DVD Install?
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I have read most of the posts here in audio and there is lots of great stuff, but I was wondering if there is any list or recipe for the items that will be needed to install a Double DIN Nav/DVD 7" screen HU into a late model C4 (1994)?

for example -- speakers, cables, amps if needed,
I know I'm asking for turn-key install and it may not be that simple. I see that lots of people are doing different things, but what I'm looking for is the consensus of install designs that looks the best and sounds the best with minimal fabrication.

If this has already been covered (which I'm sure it has somewhere) please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I have a complete high end system in my car, so I can help a little. Andy is correct about removing the interior, it will make it much easier. It would also be a good time to install some sound deadening, makes a big difference. As for a nav unit in a C4, a good person to talk to is Goldcylon over on CF, he has one in his car he did himself. Also, take a look at this. DIYMA
This is a great way to "raise" the soundstage in your car w/o cutting up the door panels or dash. I would then look at a good four way amp, (two channels up front, two in back for the subs). Subs in the rear are a must for good sound. As for front speakers, remember that because the front area of our cars is so small, you have to be careful that the front speakers you chose are not too "bright". If they are, they will sound shrill w/ the windows up. I had a set of Focal Kp2's in my car before the Cantons I have now, and the Focals were too bright w/ the windows up.
The web site listed above is a good place to look for advice, and you can get some good deals on used equipment there as well.

Good luck,

Randy
Posted on: 2009/9/16 4:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.