Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matt26R NASA Putnam Park Race report
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

An update for those of you that didn't make the combined Great Lakes / Midwest Regional event at Putnam this past weekend.

Unfortunately the weekend started off with the usual mixture of rain/cooler temperatures, a teasing of sun, then more drizzle. The upside was that the dryer periods were during the big bore race on Saturday and it cleared off for a great day Sunday.

I usually race my '88 in the PTA class but 2 of my normal competitors that were on the entry list didn't show up. (That is always a bummer when we need at least 3 in class to win any Hoosiers) Anyway, I decided that somebody should have a chance to win something for their hard work and changed my class to ST2 so Geff and Ken would have a third entry. Since I didn't change classes until the last minute I was still gridded mid pack with the PT cars. It turned out to be a fun race (even w/ 3 weekend old A6's...) I started 18th and worked my way through most of the AI field running low 19's in traffic eventually finishing 8th? From what my brother said the battle at the front of the class was INTENSE.......I'll leave you guys hanging until L98 Terror or GAS chime in.

Sunday brought us sunshine and a chilly 42*F morning. brrr I decided that I would try and win some tires for me on Sunday and ran TTA. I also had in the back of my head that a track record could be in reach if I put on my fresh A6's with my brand spankin' new CCW classics !

FWIW, Jesse White has the record for TTA with a 116.9xx and he was running this weekend also. We went out the first session to feel things out, my car started smoking badly under the left side of the hood, not good.....Jesse 118.06x, Me 118.08x. (Hmmm, it's close but doable) Those times set the grid for the next session. 1. Sawtell 2. Smith 3. White 4. Me.........pretty cool because there were some faast Cars on the grid.

Since I was instructing all weekend I didn't think I would be able to get it fixed (power steering line) before the next session. When I came back to my pits after my student's session my 2 top notch crew members (my brother and my boss) were already finishing the repair. Sweet!! I jumped in and just made grid with 1 minute to go. Results from this session Jesse 118.xx, Me 117.66. Things are looking better.

The next session I actually had the hood completely latched and my gloves were on instead of flying around in the hatch... I also had time to think about the basics and focus on the wasted time with my lazy right foot.....The final TTA result for me was good enough for a win and TTA record:116.80x. Jesse was stuck in the 18's but he was on old rubber with some handling issues. I'm sure he'll be back to show me the way around. Sawtelle and Smith were battling for TTS honors and smashing records....more from them later.

There were a lot of fast Corvette's that put on a great show in TTS, TTU and the race classes. We just need a few more of those Blue (and Black) Corvette's to start showing up again in the Great lakes Region!

A big THANK YOU goes out to my crew (Bret and Curt) for taking care of the car all weekend and keeping the beer flowing in the evenings. Also to Hoosier Tire and Pfadt Race Engineering for their great products and contingency programs.

Matt Carlyle
NASA #26
PTA/ST2/TTA/ whatever class has 3 entries or more.........
Posted on: 2009/5/18 14:13

BillH Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

[quote]
Matt26R wrote:
I jumped in and just made grid with 1 minute to go. ......../quote]

Instructing & racing on the same day sure can get hairy ,can' it?

Sounds like a good day.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 14:29

Matt26R Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
[quote]
Matt26R wrote:
I jumped in and just made grid with 1 minute to go. ......../quote]

Instructing & racing on the same day sure can get hairy ,can' it?

Sounds like a good day.

Yeah, especially this weekend. Putnam draws a lot of new students so we were doubled up. I instructed 8 -20 minute sessions on Saturday and raced. Hectic and tired!
Posted on: 2009/5/18 15:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

At the last event, I did tech, 40 cars just for me and instructed, I was almost too burnt out to stay for the beer social.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 15:33

SpectatorRacing Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Nice work at Putnam. Beating Jesse at his home track is an accomplishment!

Quote:

Matt26R wrote:

We just need a few more of those Blue (and Black) Corvette's to start showing up again in the Great lakes Region!

To whom are you referring?

All parts are in, picking up the heads tomorrow morning, putting motor together wednesday, reinstalling it Thursday / Friday, going to Grattan on Monday (memorial day). Assuming it doesn't explode then I'll see your sorry ass on June 5th. In my mirror.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 19:01

CentralCoaster Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

So are the lap times used just for gridding?

I can't tell from your post if its time trials or a position race.

How is it organized?
Posted on: 2009/5/18 19:27

Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

Saturday was wheel to wheel in ST2 (SuperTouring 2) and Sunday was a Time Trial class. (TTA) Hoosier gives 2 tires to the winner in either TT or wheel to wheel classes if there is at least 3 entries.

My best shot at winning tires was in TTA for Sunday so that's where I ended up. (yes, I'm a Hoosier whore)

The TT groups usually have four 20 minute sessions. The first session is only a warm up but the time that you run sets the grid for the next session. That makes it possible to get about 3 clean laps without any traffic. No excuses, just haul the mail. Your best lap in any of the 3 sessions after warm up decides where you finish. It's a safe way to compete without risking any body damage with other cars. (for the most part)

Scary,

Hope all goes well at the test and tune. If you FINALLY get that motor straightened out then I will most likely be in your mirrors. Just be make sure you have some low 35's up your sleeve for Mid -O
Posted on: 2009/5/18 20:14

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Yeah you keep getting faster and faster. I do have a video from 2007 where I tracked you down and passed you. That was a long time ago though with the full HP version of my car

The other major work being done is reworking the brake system. I am removing the booster and changing the MC and pedal geometry to compensate. The goal is to eliminate the severe lockup I've been getting for many years. IF that works, and the pedal effort isn't too high to maintain for a 45 minute race then I'm expecting to see at least a second improvement. Subtract that from what I used to run at Mid-O when I was fast and you have 1:34.9. But those are two pretty big "if's". So I guess I expect to come in second in July

BTW I won't be buying new tires for awhile, I just put the cash into the motor rebuild. So you can bring some new A6's and beat me at Grattan, too
Posted on: 2009/5/18 20:40

BrianCunningham Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'd like to do some time trials with you guys, though I have no idea what class they'd stick my car in when all the mods are done.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 20:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
I'd like to do some time trials with you guys, though I have no idea what class they'd stick my car in when all the mods are done.

Simple to find out...take a look and see.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Time-Trial-Rules.pdf

C4's start as TTC, add points for your mods and let us know.

I'm guessing with your level of change you'll be in one of the ratio classes, TTS or TTU. In that case, divide your car's weight (with driver, fluids, etc) by RWHP and see where you fit.

Less than 8.7 you're TTS
Less than 5.5 you're TTU.

You don't want to be TTU...
Posted on: 2009/5/18 21:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

The other major work being done is reworking the brake system. I am removing the booster and changing the MC and pedal geometry to compensate. The goal is to eliminate the severe lockup I've been getting for many years. IF that works, and the pedal effort isn't too high to maintain for a 45 minute race then I'm expecting to see at least a second improvement.

But staying with the standard m/c? If it was me Jon, I'd put duals on in a minute, end of the lockup.

As far as pedal effort, the heavy, vintage pigs (Nascars) I crew on all are without boosters. The pedal effort's not even thought about.
The formula cars too.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 22:21

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hmm.

Looks like I'd get bumped to TTC class. Not too shabby, most of the cars in that group aren't anything to be worried about. Damn that Lotus Elise though.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 22:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Hmm.

Damn that Lotus Elise though.

Yea, they don't weigh nothin'
I've been in one as an instructor, they are nimble.
Posted on: 2009/5/18 22:44

Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

Brian,

Spectator must have been drunk again when he posted the ratio's for you...(you know how he gets.. )

Pretty much unlimited modifications but hp/wt restricted:

8.7 and up = TTS

5.5-8.6 = TTU

1- 5.4 = TTR

These classes make it simple but can be expensive.

Central,

The C4 does well at the lower classes. If you decide to do it I would recommend getting a set of 18 x 10" wheels and run Hoosiers 255/35/18 A6's. They are a lot larger than a "255" but it saves you some points.
Posted on: 2009/5/19 12:19

Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

This is video from the car that finished 3 places in front of me in Saturdays race.(Ken Smith, L98 Terror at the other place) I didn't have time to put the camera in.

http://vimeo.com/4718035

Yes, the Mustang has 750 hp and he never hits an apex.....
Posted on: 2009/5/19 12:33

BrianCunningham Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

So they don't mind the blown stoker?

Seems L98Terror (my clubs ex president) did OK
Quote:
L98Terror;
all I have to say is 1:13.98 at Putnam in a TTS/ST2 car & this is a car that weights in at 3200 lbs and makes 345 RWHP.

Now people can go on and on about how their car feels like it's on rails all I have to say is 1:13.98, 1.7 seconds under the old track record on a track I've only run a couple NCCC high speed runs on in 06 and one weekend in early 08.

Hoosier, Hawk and Penske FTW!!!!

Quote:
L98Terror;
Wow!!! Here goes
Ordered a replacement for my cracked rotor Friday
My second daughter Danica Jean was Born 5/10 Mother’s Day
Signed up for the event later that evening
Got sick as hell on Wednesday
Loaded my car Thursday, without going though it since Gingerman
Worked all day Friday, kissed wife and daughters good by
Picked up Eric, Shaun and Mike, My Pit crew whom I’ve never meant before (you guys did a great job, well I knew Eric)
Arrived at 10:30 PM, went straight to the bar (thanks Matt & Bret)
Got stuck with someone’s tab cough! cough!
Crammed 4 of us into a Hotel at 1 AM, got no sleep (Who gets text messages at 4 in the morning?????)
Up at 6, raining of course
Swapped crack rotor, meetings and students all day, semi dry practice, semi dry Qualifying ran a 1:16.7 (track record for ST2 was a 1:17.8xx) first hot lap of the race was a 1:16.1xx was then slowed to 1:19s behind a stupid Mustang, why is it always a mustang?
Grid was screwed up again, one hell of a show was put on for the spectators but I couldn’t have been more upset, racing out of class again, a little car to car contact and was passed by three cars under yellow.
Still sick, lost my voice & had a confrontation in the pits.
All and all a great day, one win, one track record.
That was Saturday

I'll let the video do the talking, if watching with kids turn the volume down
http://vimeo.com/4718035
Posted on: 2009/5/19 13:41

Aardwolf Re: NASA Putnam Park Race report
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

Also just in case you didn't catch it, 85-91 start in D not C, with 14 points tacked on, so getting put into C is pretty quick with mods. 92-96 is TTC with 7 initial points.

I'd like to run TTC next season, I have to get a check ride yet.
Posted on: 2009/5/19 14:36

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

But staying with the standard m/c? If it was me Jon, I'd put duals on in a minute, end of the lockup.

Absolutely not. Either a smaller one (less pedal force but more stroke) or larger one (less stroke but lots more pedal effort to acheive same clamping force). We're going to try first with a single MC. I already have a cockpit adjustable brake bias valve. If we can't tune it right I'll put in a dual MC and probably a balance bar.

I'm still worried about pedal efforts...hopefully unecessarily.
Posted on: 2009/5/19 18:57

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
So they don't mind the blown stoker?

Seems L98Terror (my clubs ex president) did OK

The stroker is fine, you can add JATO if your car's heavy enough. In any of the ST classes you just have to meet the magical ratios as posted above by Matt and I. And yes, I was backward. Matt's info is correct.

Ken is part of Spectator-Racing, btw...lately he's the only one of us that has a running car. And he wins lots or races and makes the rest of us look good
Posted on: 2009/5/19 19:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Absolutely not. Either a smaller one (less pedal force but more stroke) or larger one (less stroke but lots more pedal effort to acheive same clamping force). We're going to try first with a single MC. I already have a cockpit adjustable brake bias valve. If we can't tune it right I'll put in a dual MC and probably a balance bar.

I'm still worried about pedal efforts...hopefully unecessarily.

Jon, any idea what stock piston dia is? And are you running Corvette calipers (sliders)?
Posted on: 2009/5/21 12:49

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Jon, any idea what stock piston dia is? And are you running Corvette calipers (sliders)?

Yeah but I can't remember. have to check. I have some Brembo 4 piston calipers on the car. They need a little more fluid than stock.

BTW, finally found that VATS module, check your PM!
Posted on: 2009/5/23 19:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Do you know what the bore in the Brembos is too?
Posted on: 2009/5/23 23:57

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Probably bigger than it needs to be. If only these jackasses "designing" aftermarket brake kits would use smaller pistons, they'd work with the stock bias. The only one I've seen that even attempts to respect the stock bias is Stoptech. Everyone else just throws more pistons at it and leaves it to the buyer to sort it out.
Posted on: 2009/5/24 5:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.