Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
187 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

Flashman 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I was thinking about switching my 86 vette 700 R4 auto to a manual transmission. Does anyone know how much money it will cost and everything needed to do this? I thought I had the info about this subject, but I can not find it. I could just sell Frankie and get another vette, but I have too much invested in it. Thanks.

Joe Flash man
Posted on: 2009/5/22 4:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Talk to CentralCoaster. He has done this.

Well... converting from a 4+3 to a 6spd.

If I was doing it, I would go after one of the TKO conversions. It's a good box and an easy fit.

But not cheap - $3k.

And, if you plan on racing or anything of that nature, save up the necessary cash for a D44 upgrade. The D36, with a manual, won't last long when abused.
Posted on: 2009/5/22 5:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

anesthes Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking about switching my 86 vette 700 R4 auto to a manual transmission. Does anyone know how much money it will cost and everything needed to do this? I thought I had the info about this subject, but I can not find it. I could just sell Frankie and get another vette, but I have too much invested in it. Thanks.

Joe Flash man

I did it twice.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/projects/stick-swap/

Next guy parting out a ZF6 car, buy everything. Shouldn't be more than $1500 or so.

TKO is nice too.. $$$$ though.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/22 10:22

CentralCoaster Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

TKO has better ratios, it might be tolerable if you have the taller rear gear, and ideal if you have the 3.07. With the ZF6, you need a 3.07 to even make it driveable, but a 3.33 or 3.55 is preferred for that. You're looking at $500 for that work even if you pull the pumpkin yourself.

The TKO is the quieter manual, but the only shifter option for it I'd consider is the one offered by Keisler, and that requires buying the trans from them too which ain't cheap. I haven't driven a Keisler, but I'm familiar with the design and know what else is out there and why the other options don't work.

I'd love the ZF6 if it wasn't for the noise. It's basically bulletproof and is the cheaper option. Plus you can get used ones and save another $1000 to get down to the $1500 price range anesthes mentioned. On your 86 though, you can cure the noise with a dual-mass flywheel. But they have internals that wear out over time, and new ones are expensive.

This covers everything you'll need to do the ZF6 install:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... t_id=34624#forumpost34624
Posted on: 2009/5/22 15:59

Flashman Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I am not going to be racing the car, but I love shifting. It relieves stress. I have a 3.07 gear in my vette. I also heard that some guys have used a T5. What about the Doug Nash 4+3? No good? I can get a new nos ZF 6 for 1500.Is that a good deal? Thanks.

Joe Flash

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-96- ... essories#ebayphotohosting
Posted on: 2009/5/22 22:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't waste your time on the 4+3. It's good on paper and I really enjoyed mine, but in reality one in good condition will cost as much as a ZF6 and never be as reliable.

I haven't seen a T5 done yet. Anesthes was working on one, he can tell you the details on what worked and what didn't.

$1500 sounds right for a ZF, they used to be $1200 for a short time, but there's only a handful of new ones left now.

I want to warn you though, it will be noisy when you're idling in neutral with the clutch out, when the fluid is hot. Some people will think your transmission is falling apart. Thicker fluid helps this, but i chose to run thinner fluid for other reasons.
Posted on: 2009/5/23 17:54

bogus Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't think he is going to get away with a DMFW. First off, the balance issues come to mind. Secondly, getting one.
Posted on: 2009/5/23 18:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I haven't seen a T5 done yet. Anesthes was working on one, he can tell you the details on what worked and what didn't.

The T5 swap is for doing it on the cheap. The shifter ends up being goofy though, like you had thought it would. I'm anal about shifters, so I didn't like it. It drops in 2nd and rises in 5th.

Jleatherman on corvette forum did the swap, and about 10 other guys. I get emails like once a month for guys who bought the bracket from pro street and did the swap.

Jleatherman used a V6 trans the first go around, and blew it up. Don't make that mistake.

For "quality" I'd do the ZF6 swap, although compared to a T5 with a "normal" shifter, and a T56 the ZF6 shifts really goofy too. I think my farm tractor shifts smoother (and it's a 6 speed too)

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/23 19:35

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'd love to let you drive mine. I have no allegiance to the ZF, especially with the noise, but the shifting it always feels good, assuming you can get the garbage clutch hydraulics bled right.
Posted on: 2009/5/24 5:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Joe, have you driven a TKO in a C4, or a T56? Who even has a T56 installed?

Its easy to say such n such transmission shifts smooth, but in the confines of a C4, and whatever adaptations are needed to relocate the shifter, that can change.

I've only driven a C4 with a TKO with the Hurst "sidewinder" shifter. No T56 or T5, although I've driven those in other cars. The Pro-5.0 shifter is sweet in a Mustang. But won't work in the C4.
Posted on: 2009/5/24 5:05

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Joe, have you driven a TKO in a C4, or a T56? Who even has a T56 installed?

No. Only TKO has been in a mustang, with a normal type shifter. T56 in my Z28, not in a C4 either.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Its easy to say such n such transmission shifts smooth, but in the confines of a C4, and whatever adaptations are needed to relocate the shifter, that can change.

Exactly, which is why I didn't like the T5.. I absolutely love the T5 in a normal application, it shifts soo smooth. It is a great trans, with the obvious exception of it's torque limits.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I've only driven a C4 with a TKO with the Hurst "sidewinder" shifter. No T56 or T5, although I've driven those in other cars. The Pro-5.0 shifter is sweet in a Mustang. But won't work in the C4.

I don't know what it is about the ZF. On my car that I sold, and my buddy's '91 it's just notchy.

Never had a hydraulics problem though. I ordered a master + slave and hose for a '94 at the dealer, worked great on the first try. Took 10 minutes to bleed. Clutch grabbed just where it should.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/24 14:42

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the valuable info. Now, I dont know what I want to do. It seems like the 4+3 will work with my 3.07 gear.
Although, you say its not very durable, it seems like the shifter will be smooth and the transmission not noisy. Why the hell would Chevrolet install a noisy manual transmission in a Corvette? I heard that the 84 & 85 4+3 transmissions had problems, but were corrected in 86 to 88. My other option is a shift kit for my 700 R4. The tranny needs to come out anyway because the front pump seal is leaking. Can anyone tell me about auto/manual shift kits, types, operation etc? Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/25 5:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The 4+3 shifter is a hoopty piece of crap. Its a embarassing that GM ever deemed that good enough for the C4. I believe the 4+3 would require changing your ecm or chip, unless you don't care about the computer controlled functions on the Overdrive. The auto-kickdown from OD is the cool part about it. GM screwed up the programming after 85 by making the overdrive on by default. As for the early reliabilty issues, there's no such thing as a non-rebuilt early overdrive. All of them failed within 30,000 miles so by now they are either reincarnated as beer cans or have been rebuilt and are as durable as the later units.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 8:49

Matatk Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:

My other option is a shift kit for my 700 R4. The tranny needs to come out anyway because the front pump seal is leaking. Can anyone tell me about auto/manual shift kits, types, operation etc? Thanks.

I guess my question, Joe, is why do you want to convert? Is there any specific reason for it, or just because of the cool factor? If money is no object, hey go for it. But realize you will lower the value of your car even more by installing it, imho, or at least you will have way more into it that it's worth.

I plan on rebuilding my auto trans myself probably next year and giving it a bigger stall speed. That should make it a little more fun and still streetable. I am not putting in a shift kit because I like where it shifts now. Is that an option for you?

Bottom line is, how much do you wanna spend?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:05

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

The money is not a big factor. Frankie has a savings account. When I save enough he get what he needs. My vette has a new built up motor. probably has around 325 hp. He sounds mean. But, he has a stock auto transmission. I only drive the car on weekends. I have driven my friends 95 Corvette with a six speed. Its fun to drive. I would enjoy having a manual transmission. I have had alot of muscle cars and always got stuck with an auto because it was either a good deal and had most of the options that I wanted.

I had a bad ass AMX with a 360 engine(400hp) 998 auto transmission, stall converter shift kit etc. It was fun, but shifting it was not like a manual transmission. Finding AMC parts was tough. I am just worried that I wont be able to obtain all the parts needed to do the swap. I am not gonna race the car, but I do want a manual transmission that will hold up under normal to ocassional abusive shifting/driving.

When I looked for a C4, I wanted black exterior, black interior, new built motor and the last option was a manual transmission which I missed out on again. Not many vettes are manual trans. But, I dont want to do it half assed and butcher the car and have my speedo off etc.. I would like to do it right. I gutted and restored the whole car including painting it myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have too much into Frankie to sell him and buy another Corvette. Frankie is now like brand new. I guess I just have to ask myself. Do I want to worry about the cars value or can I finally get what I want in a Corvette.

Joe Flash man
Posted on: 2009/5/25 14:47

vetteoz Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Rebuild trans with right parts and put a quality shift kit in it.
Can then manually shift it when ever you want or drop in D if feeling lazy.Full engine braking on downshifts like a stick
Put IN an aftermarket shifter like a B&M Quicksilver rachet and no more missed shifts
Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:18

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Vetteoz,

I like the sound of that. I may be able to live with that for now. If I get tired of Frankie, then I can always get another vette. If he keeps giving me problems, then hes done. Can you tell me who makes a shift kit like that?

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:52

biggrizzly Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Rebuild trans with right parts and put a quality shift kit in it.
Can then manually shift it when ever you want or drop in D if feeling lazy.Full engine braking on downshifts like a stick
Put IN an aftermarket shifter like a B&M Quicksilver rachet and no more missed shifts

I agree - If you talk to Pete Kane he can set you straight on a great running automatic.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:54

PeteK Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

transgo 700 2&3
Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:54

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

Thanks to all for the replies. But, who is Pete Kane? How can I contact him?

Joe Flash man
Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:59

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

WOW. That was Fast. I will look that up. I was on ebay looking for manual parts earlier and some of those parts look pretty beat. They also want arm and a leg for that stuff. Thanks again for the help.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/26 2:02

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

Any recommendations for a stall converter or just leave it stock?

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/26 2:10

PeteK Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hi,

Any recommendations for a stall converter or just leave it stock?

Joe Flash

It depends on budget I guess. Stock 86 converter stalls about 2000 rpm. Jumping it up to 2500 or so can make seat of the pants acceleration a bit better.
Stepping it up to a 9.5 inch version will help more. They are 14 pounds lighter so there is a dual benefit. Quicker acceleration because it is lighter, plus the added stall speed.
9.5 inch converters start at $525.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 2:16

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I had a beefy 700R4 my first year with the C4.. Raptor 5x converter (9.5", like $600), transgo shift kit.

Everyone loved the way the car drove except for me.

A transmission is a very personal thing I guess. On my tow + plow rig, I like the automatic. For a weekend car, I feel more like a passenger than a driver if it's not a manual.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/26 18:33

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Either way you go, it's nothing that hasn't been done many times before. You don't have to worry about the speedo not working or any butchering with the 6-speed swap. It just costs more time and labor than upgrading the auto... and saving money with used parts will take more shopping around, but there are plenty of salvage yards with the stuff.

Keep us posted, there's plenty of tech help here either way you choose.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 19:29

BrianCunningham Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

How do you use your Vette?

Cruising? racing? daily driver?
Posted on: 2009/5/26 19:45

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

I feel if im not shifting (workin it)then its boring.I drive a van for my business all week long. Big slow moving tank. But when Friday night comes, the Vette comes alive. My weekend sports car needs to be fun for me. Different than what I drive during the week. Most of your European sports cars Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari's are manuals and few are automatics. Chevrolet has it the other way around. Most Corvettes are automatics and some are manuals. I was on Ebay motors last night. 200 c4's for sale. 49 were manuals. I believe you are correct. A transmission is a personal thing to some people.

I do appreciate all the tech info that you fellas have given me. It will be a great tool when I start this job. I dont know if I will be happy with a 700 R4 shift kit. I would hate to do it and still not be happy. There were two things I always wanted when I was younger man, a Corvette or a sports car with a manual transmission. I use my Vette for cruising on the weekends. Car shows, club cruising etc.

Hey, if I sold my C4 right now I would not get what I have in it anyway. I am gonna spend money on it for me. Not worry about the next owner.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/26 23:45

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think a M6 conversion would only increase it's desirability if anything. Almost nobody cares about matching numbers or originality on these if the work is done right.

Either way you're right not to worry about impact on the value.

The only used M6 parts you should be looking for is the bellhousing, driveshaft yoke, clutch and brake pedals, master cylinder spacer, and maybe the flywheel and clutch line. The rest should be new IMO.

I have not put a clutch pedal in an auto C4, so I don't know what that entails.

Get some prices from vette2vette or Dino at Corvettesalvage.com. Ebay is spotty at best.
Posted on: 2009/5/27 0:08

Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I have not put a clutch pedal in an auto C4, so I don't know what that entails.

The mounting points are there for OE pedal; the hole for the cylinder is not drilled through the firewall.

As a note to the shift kitted A4.
When I'm in the mood I manually shift both up and down like a stick.Not a lot of driving difference except no clutch to worry about
Posted on: 2009/5/27 3:45

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

Well ya know what. The Transgo shift kit for the 700r4 is only 100 bucks. Maybe I will install it. Leave the converter alone and start searching for parts for the manual swap. At least I will have something to shift for now.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/5/27 4:09

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hey Guys,

Well, I got my manual trans. Its not a zf trans, but a starter trans. 4+3. I got the trans with bellhousing, flywheel, shifter, clutch and slave. Gonna pick it up tomorrow 2 hour drive one way. I will go thru the trans and have it built right before I install it. Now its time to search for other items. I cant seem to find the info you all supplied about a 700R4 to a 4+3. I have 4+3 to a ZF, T5 etc. I know I need a 4+3 yoke, but can I use my drive shaft or do I need one from a 4+3 car? Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/8 2:20

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Your driveshaft and yoke from the 700R4 will fit the 4+3 just fine.

Getting the shifter to work is going to be interesting. The 4+3 shifter is part of the floor, right?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/6/8 2:53

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Joe,

I dont know. I did not pick up the trans package yet. I guess thats why I did not see the shifter on the trans. That sucks. Oh well.I have cutting tools, welders and I am getting to be pretty good at fiberglass repair too. Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/8 3:04

Matatk Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hey Guys,

Well, I got my manual trans. Its not a zf trans, but a starter trans. 4+3. I got the trans with bellhousing, flywheel, shifter, clutch and slave for 152 bucks.

Joe Flash

Sounds like a great deal! Keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:44

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I just got back from Ocala, FL with the transmission. Jeremy the seller is a nice guy. Wow. What a garage/shop he has. He does a lot of GM truck fabrication work on his vehicles. No vettes though. I almost had to take my express cargo van four wheeling through dirt roads and pot holes to get to his house. Lol. But I got it.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/9 3:56

Danspeed1 Re: 86 vette switching an auto trans to a manual transmission
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I'd love the ZF6 if it wasn't for the noise. It's basically bulletproof and is the cheaper option. Plus you can get used ones and save another $1000 to get down to the $1500 price range anesthes mentioned. On your 86 though, you can cure the noise with a dual-mass flywheel. But they have internals that wear out over time, and new ones are expensive.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... t_id=34624#forumpost34624

Funny you should mention that, because I was going to mention how I happen to like the noise when winding out of first gear.

+1 on the Indestructible part... that is for the Black Tag ZF6 at least. You've all seen the videos... that car took a lot of abuse.

There is a guy locally with an 85 Vette. He converted it to a T5, seems to like it. The weaker of the T5's comes out of the Camaro, the T5 out of the Mid-90's Mustangs is the strongest. What's interesting is I don't know of anybody breaking the T5's in the Camaro, yet when I was looking for one for my C3 (long time ago), seemed like the Mustang Guys were always breaking them.

I would think that the 4+3 is going to be a job an a half to get running, but maybe I'm wrong. Just remember, with a little fabrication, anything is possible. Keep us posted on how your project is working out.

DG
Posted on: 2009/6/9 5:35
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:
Danspeed1 wrote:
Just remember, with a little fabrication, anything is possible.

The trans swap is bolt in
Hardest part is the mount for the shifter as mentioned above.On 4+3 the shifter is mounted on the side of the tunnel; not in the trans like late model cars.
Easiest to get tunnel section from 4+3 car and glass it in
Posted on: 2009/6/9 12:28

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

Is it in the same location as the auto shifter? A corvette vendor on ebay is selling a 4+3 shifter mount. I dont have the mount for the shifter.Getting that tunnel section is going to be hard. This is an early trans and will need a lot of upgraded parts to make it more dependable. I am going to rebuild it before I put it in. I emailed a few salvage yards for parts. I can email them again about the tunnel section too. Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I might have that bracket and some hardware, but I'm not sure how it will help you.

The shifter mount is just a bent piece of steel that bolts to a tunnel section you don't have.

I could post some pics that'd help you out, although they're on my home computer.

Maybe someone who's done a ZF swap would have the tunnel section laying around.

I'm pretty sure I sold mine with my 4+3 parts (or tossed it), but I'll check anyways.

Also you'll need a switch somewhere to operate the overdrive. The 84 had it on the console plate. You might be able to modify your auto plate by removing the shift indicator, but I don't know if you'd find a shift boot to fit that. The 4+3 console plates are now available aftermarket though.

I have a shifter with a button on top, but that's a momentary switch and I'm not sure how that would be wired to the overdrive... maybe through a latching relay or diode.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 17:11

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Central Coaster,

If you have some pics, that would give me an idea. I know where I can a get a console plate, but I dont know about the boot. Thank you.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:06

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I just cleaned up the trans earlier. What a freakin mess. I used my most powerful cleaners on it, Brown Royal and EZ cutter. I did not use a pressure washer but I think it came out pretty good. Heres the package that I got.

Attach file:

gif  IMG_13888888888888.gif (774.41 KB)
1655_4a31c0edee89a.gif 1024X768 px

gif  IMG_1387.gif (759.32 KB)
1655_4a31c10d8fbce.gif 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2009/6/9 22:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'd probably toss the clutch set. The flywheel can be resurfaced for ~$30 or so, or you can get a new one.

Even if its not worn I don't like the idea of a clutch disc that's bounced around in someone's garage for awhile, I'd be afraid of it being dinged up at all and coming apart at speed.

There's a shift boot where the 3 shift rods go into the car. These are not available anywhere, so you'll need to come up with some other method of keeping that area of your car sealed off from road debris and fumes.

There's also a boot for the clutch fork and bellhousing, but that one's not as big a deal. It looks like he stuck some sort of boot on there to protect the slave cylinder, which should be good enough.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 23:27

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Yeah, We think the same. The clutch has a lot of meat on it, but Im not gonna use it. I will get a new clutch kit for it.
So, now I am making my list of the rest of the parts needed to do this swap. If I leave anything out. Just chime in.

Clutch/Brake pedal assembly - Got it
Slave/Brake cylinder hose - Got it
Tunnel piece-L BRACKET SHIFTER MOUNTED TO TRANS
Shift boot- GOT IT
Rod boots- make my ownSHIFT BAG
Clutch/pressure kit- Got it
New console plate- Got it
New clutch cylinder & spacer - Got it
New slave cylinder - Got it
Resurface flywheel or new one- RESURFACED 30 BUCKS
Manual ECM or chip- MANUAL SWITCH
Rebuild kit 84 4+3 overdrive-GOT IT
4+3 Transmission rebuild manual- Got it

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/10 0:06

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I think I am going to make a heavy duty C bracket and mount the shifter on the backside of the transmission. I can utilize the C beam holes and use spacers.I can then seal the hole cut out in the floor with a thick rubber cover and also use a rubber boot/bag to protect the shift linkage from dirt and water.

I posted a few pictures but I have not yet fabricated the bracket.It would be a lot easier to do this then to build a shift box. Only downfall would be more vibration to the shifter.

Joe Flash

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1403.JPG (922.92 KB)
1655_4a385ac3a59dc.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_1421.JPG (915.40 KB)
1655_4a385b3cd3a34.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_1402.JPG (980.98 KB)
1655_4a385cd36117e.jpg 3264X2448 px
Posted on: 2009/6/17 2:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

GM shouldve done it that way to begin with. Better to let the shifter move with the trans than to stay put lose its alignment as the trans moves. I like my 6 speed with the shifter on the trans, I can feel the car's torque and rpm through the shifter.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 5:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have a clutch line... but I see you don't need that now. Damn.
Posted on: 2009/6/18 0:59

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Central Coaster,

Yeah, I just bought one from Corvette brakes in Miami. 110.00 new. Thanks for offering. I do need a parking lockout cable and bracket. Not sure if I need it though. I do have the throttle cable. Let me know what other parts you have available. Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/6/18 3:00

Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
I do need a parking lockout cable and bracket. Not sure if I need it though.

Not essential for operation , only makes you put it in reverse before removing key
Posted on: 2009/6/18 5:20

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Vetteoz,

So if I had the cable I would have to put it in reverse to remove the key from the ignition?

Joe
Posted on: 2009/6/18 13:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah that's right. The lockout cable is more of a nuisance than anything.

I like to leave mine in 1st gear sometimes when I park.

I also have a shifter with momentary switch on top. Not sure how you'd wire this up, but maybe the shift knob is in better condition than what you have.

I also have some miscellaneous bolts, maybe a few shifter mount pieces.

I'll get some pics for you after work.
Posted on: 2009/6/18 17:34

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.