Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I started this thread as a place to toss around camera ideas for track use. I'll link up some sample videos later. Hopefully you guys can do the same with your setups.

I'm well aware of the high end setups with bullet cams and external recorders and mics and datalogging, etc., but...

Point & Shoot Cameras with Video Mode

I love the versatility, cost and convenience of a point & shoot camera. They've come a long way in terms of video features. Most people need a point & shoot camera regardless, so why not get one with useful video features, even just as a backup vid camera.

Resized Image
Canon Powershot (various VGA cameras) ~$250-$300

Currently I'm using a PowerShot SD850is, but most of Canon's cameras now can do the same and record 640x480 (VGA) at 30fps. Can record up to 4GB per file (30 min at this resolution). Memory cards are damn cheap now. I have recorded onto Class 2 cards without any issue. You can clip the videos after a run to remove wasted space at the beginning and ends. I do this and can get 3 HPDE sessions on a 8gb card. Sometimes it gets fussy about downloading the large files from the camera, so I use a separate card reader. But you can just pull them off as AVI files and go to work editing in Windows Movie Maker or send it straight to YouTube as is and let them compress it. The camera is lightweight but has no aux mic input. You can manually set exposure and focus before shooting video, so you can clearly record the road ahead of you even on bright sunny days. One lithium battery is good for about 1.5 hours of camera time, so bring your charger or a 2nd battery if you plan on getting a full track day on video. Also, the threaded tripod mount is metal.

Resized Image
Canon PowerShot SX200is ~$350

I saw this new camera from Canon that deserves some attention. According to the website it records in HD (1280x720) at 30fps for 30 minutes (4GB) at a time. There are no other cameras in its class that can record vid clips this long at this resolution. It uses higher compression than the VGA cameras, but the better resolution should more than make up for it. It's possible you might need higher bitrate SD memory cards for this one, which would cost more.

Resized Image
Canon Powershot SD780is ~$300

This can also do HD video, but is limited to 21(?) minute clips at 4GB.

Hard Drive and DVD Camcorders

The consensus is these don't hold up to the vibrations in a car. Might work find if you use an external hard drive that is cushioned somewhere else in the car though. Otherwise avoid these cameras.

Digital8 (Tape) Camcorders

Resized Image
Sony DCR HC52 Handicam

I tried this basic camcorder. It records 640x480 (VGA) but the quality was disappointing. It was compact for a vid cam, but still heavy enough to bounce around on the in-car camera mount. Unfortunately also, Sony got rid of the auxiliary mic input on this model update, so you can't avoid the wind noise. Tapes are cheap, but suck for navigating through to find that cool spin-out scene, and must be downloaded and converted onto the computer real-time. What a hassle. I returned it after a month.
Posted on: 2009/6/1 23:22

BillH Re: In-car video setups...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

As mentioned before, the Motorsports Hero from GoPro is very nice for the cost and it's made for motorsports. It shoots at 30 fps and can record for 56 min. It's waterproof and can be mounted on the outside of the car, in the wet.
Also can be used as a handheld.
Not bad for $199.00
Posted on: 2009/6/1 23:38

CentralCoaster Re: In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've seen those used on motorcycles...

Resized Image

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=2

Resolution: 5 megapixel (2592x1944) photo, 512x384 video
Sensor: CMOS
Video Format: MJPEG, 30 fps, saved as .AVI file
Optics: glass lens, f/2.8 aperture, with ultra-wide 170º angle of view
Modes: video, standard photo, photo every 2 or 5 secs, 3x photo burst sequence, self timer, upside down photo/video flip
Exposure Control: auto
White Balance: auto
Self Timer: 10 seconds
Microphone: built-in with adjustable recording/input level
Audio Format: 8kHz, mono
Memory: 16 MB internal, expandable to 2GB with SD card (not included), expandable to 4GB with SDHC card (not included) via free software download from GoPro website—available soon
Capacity: 56 minutes video (incl. audio) or 1,945 photos with optional 2GB SD card. 1hr 52min video (incl. audio) with optional 4GB SDHC card—available soon
Power: 2x AAA batteries (not included), lithium batteries highly recommended. 3hrs. video recording with lithium, 2hrs. with NiMH

TV Out (with RCA cable): NTSC or PAL
PC Connection: USB + RCA combo cable
PC Compatibility: Windows ME, 2000, XP, and Vista; Mac OS X 10.2 and later
Dimensions: 1.75" x 2.30" x 1.25"/4.45cm x 5.84cm x 3.18cm (H x W x D)
Weight: 4.9 oz/139 g
Posted on: 2009/6/1 23:46

ghoffman Re: In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Loks like a really nice setup!
Posted on: 2009/6/2 0:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Guys, you should go on their site, check the vid of a Miata at ThunderHill

A couple of my students had them, the vids were very good.
Posted on: 2009/6/2 1:39

Matt26R Re: In-car video setups...
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

I have an el cheapo Aiptek (sp?) that I'll try to actually mount and turn on for this weekends event.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 5:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I tried mounting a Panasonic (tape,VGA) on the roll bar of my Formula Ford once. It really didn't like the vibration or electric noise from the ignition.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:36

ghoffman Re: In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
258 Posts

My wife bought us this small Canon for Christmas and I used it at Loudon a couple of weeks ago. It was perfect, and the SD RAM chip is so much better than tapes or hard drives, no skipping, and much easier downloads. It uses about 2 Gb per hour.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.j ... =product&id=1218065984526

This is much reduced resolution version, and I am taking it very easy on Erica Newhall whothere was filming a TV show called "Discover New Hampshire".

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h28 ... iew¤t=SCDAshort.flv
Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:41

Aardwolf Re: In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

Making a mount is pretty easy. I used some left over plastic decking material. Then a swivel mount that I had from something else.

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/Aardwolfki/Cameramount.jpg[/IMG]

I'm using a digital camera that takes video as well. It doesn't do HD which would be nice but it works fine. A 2 gig card will hold 30 mins.

I got this one a few years ago Fujifilm Finepix F470.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finepi ... cs&qid=1244032861&sr=1-21
Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

ghoffman wrote:
This is much reduced resolution version, and I am taking it very easy on Erica Newhall whothere was filming a TV show called "Discover New Hampshire".

The only thing I could see was that pretty flag helmit in the mirror.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:57

BrianCunningham Re: In-car video setups...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

ghoffman wrote:

The only thing I could see was that pretty flag helmit in the mirror.

I get the same problem with the camera mounted all the way back on the bar, even with the zoom up.

You get a better video with the suction cup mounts, but I'd only trust those on an autocross.

Maybe something that clips to the back of the rearview mirror?
Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:44

SpectatorRacing Re: In-car video setups...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

A buddy of mine just got the GoPro camera and we tried it at Grattan last week. The picture was pretty nice, and you don't need to run wires or anything as it saves data on EEPROM. He gets them for $120 or so...pretty cheap.

I have been using a webcam. I like it because it's teeny and I can mount it anywhere, I've always intended to stick it on the nose of the car but haven't done it yet. I still have it mounted inside the car. Also, if you put it somewhere like that and it gets smacked by a rock or something you're only out $20 instead of $200.

The drawback is that you need to have a laptop in the car, but I have an old one that I use as I don't care if something were to happen to it and it was damaged. The cool thing is that you can watch the video on a full size screen immediately after you come off the track...you don't have download it for viewing.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 15:53

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would consider the GoPro for something like a suspension cam or door camera, but for in-car I want higher resolution.

Plus compression is an issue. You can't have your cake and eat it too, if the camera can fit a lot on a small card, then it's at the expense of quality, and that gets even worse when you re-encode it to a different video type for uploading.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:33

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Guys, you should go on their site, check the vid of a Miata at ThunderHill

Sorry, but I'm calling B.S., there's no way that's 30fps, even 15fps seems like a stretch, which makes everything look slower.

And I don't think they'd have that on the website if it wasn't the best the camera could do.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 16:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Actually, I just wanted you to see another Ca. track.

I don't know dick video resolution. Are you saying that the vid is bad or good? It looks good to me.
Posted on: 2009/6/3 17:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here's a great webpage by John Wurth with his cameras: Very useful info on dealing with memory cards and overall use at the track.

For WVGA (848x480) he's recommending the Panasonic LZ7 (for $150)

http://www.wurthmotorsports.com/In_Car_Cameras_for_video.asp

And for HD, he's used the Sanyo HD700 =$400 or Sanyo HD1000 =$650 (memory card video cams)

http://www.wurthmotorsports.com/HD_In_Car_Cameras_for_video.asp

http://trackvideo.tv/vid.asp?v=3

He says if this vid is jumpy its because the video compression is too much for your slow computer to handle... but the resolution is awesome!
Posted on: 2009/6/3 17:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Canon SX200 (Click HD button and fullscreen for better quality):

I'm hoping the jumpiness is just my browser.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 17:59

Matt26R Re: In-car video setups...
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

Sorry, no video again. Clutch issues and only completed 8 laps. Bummer.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.