Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Eagle223usa Garage floor coatings.
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

I just got done paneling my garage (24'x24'). The neighbors were impressed. They used words like "More like a den than a garage" The paneling is called "Classic plywood" I stained it and it does look great. Any how, when I bought this place in Oct 08 I painted the garage floor with a garage floor paint (exspensive)and it turned out to be junk. The wheels on my creepers lift this crap, the wheels on the Corvette remove it neatly. Anyways, I need to strip this crap and use something different. Any suggestions Brothers? Thanks.

Ps. I'll post a pick later!
Posted on: 2009/6/13 15:34

volzfan Re: Garage floor coatings.
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

I helped my son (Trae1976) do his garage floor with "U Coat It". Perhaps he can post a pic, but now, several years later, it still looks good.
Posted on: 2009/6/13 15:38

Eagle223usa Re: Garage floor coatings.
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

How much? Cash and effort?
Posted on: 2009/6/13 21:59

Matatk Re: Garage floor coatings.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

TJ, I moved your post to this section since it's more specific. If you want to take a look at the coating I did, it's in my post here:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=2992&forum=25

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/13 22:43

volzfan Re: Garage floor coatings.
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

Eagle223usa wrote:
How much? Cash and effort?

Well, there's a lot of work involved.......cleaning and then "etching" the floor before you start coating, and then the coating is done in three steps.

As for cost, I think his garage is comparable, size wise, to what you describe, and I think his cost somewhere around $500. Here's a link to their website: U Coat It

I guess Trae hasn't seen this, but if he does maybe he'll post a pic.
Posted on: 2009/6/14 15:13

Trae1976 Re: Garage floor coatings.
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Overall I'm pretty happy with the UCoatIt. Its pretty dang tough, but I can't say it has been indestructible. I haven't had any problems with creepers, jacks, stands, stools, chairs, or anything like that. And I've spilled about every garage chemical on it (for some reason it seems to always have P/S fluid on it ), and it hasn't so much as dulled it. However, my hot tires have pulled up some spots about 1"-1.5" in size, but only under where they normally sit.

When I did it, the company offered a warranty, but only if you had one of their installers put it down. I had planned on doing it myself, so I didn't get a quote for that. But it is a big job - might be worth it.

I don't have any pics specifically of the floor, but you can get an idea from these. Its black, with a lot of "flek" - I wanted a lot of texture, so I bought an extra container.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/6/15 11:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Garage floor coatings.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I covered my garage floor with coin-pattern vinyl sheets. For the most part I'm happy with it, but it puckers up a bit, and I don't like how the seams worked out. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably glue the whole thing down.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 12:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Durango_Boy Re: Garage floor coatings.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I have been thinking of a coating for the garage floor and UCoatIt was what I wanted to do too. I'd probably use some of those black rubber parking stoppers you see in the catalogs so you park in the same spot over and over. That would keep the coating from pulling up under the tires.

I occasionally drop tools and parts and I wonder if those little chips can be touched up individually.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 12:42

Trae1976 Re: Garage floor coatings.
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
I have been thinking of a coating for the garage floor and UCoatIt was what I wanted to do too. I'd probably use some of those black rubber parking stoppers you see in the catalogs so you park in the same spot over and over. That would keep the coating from pulling up under the tires.

I occasionally drop tools and parts and I wonder if those little chips can be touched up individually.

They send you some type of plastic sheets with the kit for parking on. The instructions said to use them for a week or two, so I did. But using something beyond that timeframe would certainly be a good idea. In hindsight...

I forgot to mention it, but yes, dropped tools and such can chip (especially bench vises ), usually due to the chipped concrete. I believe they offer some type of touch-up, never tried it though.
Posted on: 2009/6/15 14:34

Rex_Ruby Re: Garage floor coatings.
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Stay away from U COAT IT.

It lifted on me and when I called them on their warranty they said they would sell me some more at half price. Why would I put down more of a flawed product and pay for it?

I hate U COAT IT, when I tried to get warranty remedy according to them it was all my fault and none of their, THEY SUCK.

Since doing my garage floor I have done several other garage floors with much better success. (I'm a home improvement contractor) THe most important thing just like a car paint job is the prep. Rent a cement scarifier or shot peen, it takes the final finish skim coat of cement off giving the cement a tooth for a coating to stick to. Then use a 2 part epoxy, I've been using Industrial Rustoleum. Can be mixed to any color. MAB used to carry it but since they were bought or merged with Sherwin Williams and SW has their own brand MAD has stopped carrying it.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 6:16

'93 Ruby Coupe ZF6 - Muffler eliminators, Blink Blink kit and Polished ZR1 Wheels
* PA Plate: OBSSSN

'06 Lemans Blue C6 Coupe - Completely stock (wife's)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.