Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

xrcrx 3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Guru
Webster TX
83 Posts

I left my home near Houston Texas to head to the Corvette nationals in Richmond Virginia last Wed. I stopped in Foley Alabama to visit a friend on the way. Headin' to Virginia took me thru parts of the country I'd never seen before and the drive was great. In Richmond I made the semi-finals and finished "in the money"!!! There were over 200 Vettes there and the racing was awesome! I also got the long distance award(won that by over 600 miles)
Resized Image
pic from the races

After the racing Sat. I decided I was too close to things i'd never seen to head home just yet. So I headed to the Atalntic coast and got a room overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. It was really incredible. Then I headed to Washington DC. The Capitol and Monuments are truly beyond words. No photos can show how truly breathtaking the view from the top of the Licoln Memorial back across the Washington Monument to the Capitol is. I also toured the Smithsonians Air and Space Museum, WWII, Korean, and Viet Nam War memorials. I headed home and arrived this evening. One week and 3.5k miles later. My nearly 24 year old Crossfire Injected Vette ran flawlessly at elevated speeds without a hitch. and averaged 25 mpg. I even ran triple digits for about 20 miles in Louisiana. I raced the car, hammered on it mercilessly for a day, and it never let me down, running consistant 14.4's@95mph! Not bad for a CFI car! I'm home now and it was a grand adventure. The car was great for road tripping and I'm looking forward to doing it again!
Posted on: 2007/3/5 5:56
00 TLR 1000
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

90EXPVette RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

That is very cool!!
Posted on: 2007/3/5 15:38

Alcee1 RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time, YEAH to the crossfire
Posted on: 2007/3/5 16:49
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Skidmarks RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Guru
Blue Mound, Illinois
98 Posts

That's way cool. Sounds like you had blast. Great looking car too.
Posted on: 2007/3/6 20:35

CSS996 RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Yeah, I'm digging up old posts like crazy, what of it? :tongue:

It's been years since I've been back home on the east coast. I went to see the Vietnam Memorial in DC once. Embarrassed the hell out of myself when I started crying...

I don't have any known relatives that served in Vietnam, but I couldn't believe the sheer size and the number of names on that wall.

How big will the Iraq memorial end up being, I wonder...

Lots of cool stuff to see in DC, that's for sure! I wish I was free enough to leave my family for a few weeks and go on a road trip. Can't pull it off right now though. Maybe in about, oh fifteen years, when my youngest is in college...
Posted on: 2007/9/20 21:21

bogus RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I want to see the new Air & Space Annex... it's out at Dulles. A bit of a haul, but well worth it.

The Vietnam Memorial is an interesting thing. I haven't seen it yet, the last time I was in DC proper, the weather was yuck, so it was skipped. However, I do have to ask a couple of questions:

Which US War did we experience the most casualties?

1. US Civil War
2. WWI
3. WWII
4. Korea
5. Vietnam

How many (approximately) MIAs were there from Vietnam?

1. 23,000
2. 322
3. 3,000
4. 9,000
5. 14,000

How many MIAs from WWII?

1. 79,000
2. 232,000
3. 42,000
4. 19,000
5. 120,000

Answer later.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 1:53

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Looking things up online, I am reading that there were 50-60 million... MILLION casualties in WWII. That's insane! That is total casualties, not just U.S.

One source says 2,583 MIA from Vietnam. 78,000 from WWII.

Am I right or no?

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. I never really talked to them about their experiences, and I'm not up on terminology, so forgive me here...

My mother's dad rode a motorcycle to the front of enemy lines so he could observe where enemy artillery was stationed, and he gave coordinates back to our artillery units, and they used his information to target their stuff.

My dad's dad flew a B-17 or B-29 (can't remember which) over Germany. He refused to talk about his experiences much, but he told me a story about a time when he was flying so low, one of his gunners would have had to point his machine gun upwards to shoot at a train.

He received the distinguished flying cross, and also a purple heart. The purple heart was from a piece of schrapnel that blew through the cockpit glass, through his left arm and lodged in his right arm. He died just last year, with the fragments still in there.

I was never a war buff, but I have a buddy who is. I took him over to my Grandfather's house one time, so we could go shoot pistols in their back yard. When I showed him my Grandfather's service medals, my buddy about shite his pants, so I guess there was some good stuff in there.

So, anyway, if they built a wall with every fallen US soldier's name from WWII, it would certainly dwarf the Vietnam Memorial. I have not seen the WWII memorial. I hope I get a chance someday.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 14:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Your research is about spot on. The numbers vary from source to source, and a lot (particurally the total WWII casualties) is rather hard to quantify.

50-60 million is including civilian deaths, but that's strictly an estimate. Some sources estimate that total to be closer to 100 million. It is thought that the USSR lost 40 million people alone.

The MIA number changes, too, as they find remains.

My dad was a fighter plane mechanic. P51s in England. Your grandfather would have flown B-17s. The B29 was used in the Pacific.

Sounds like your grandfathers had quite the experience. It is a shame they didn't talk about it. So much history was lost to their personal demons. Not to say they were selfish, no, the system failed them... they weren't given enough time to decompress from the stresses of combat. Most unfair.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 14:41

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

What I really wish is that I could capture their stories on video, and save them for my kids, and on down the line. They're both gone now, so It's not going to happen. I could just kick myself for not thinking about it sooner.

But if any of you folks have the opportunity to do so, you might want to consider it. Before it's too late.
Posted on: 2007/9/21 14:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

My dad passed 30 years ago. What stories where were, I got some... but not on tape.

My sister-in-laws father was a combat solder. He faught in France and Germany in late 44, thru to the end of the war.

He only started to talk about it because of Saving Private Ryan. A great film, that I think was lost on some people. Utterly riviting.
Posted on: 2007/9/22 1:40

JDSWHITE93 RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

That is awesome, I keep trying to convince myself to quit screwing with my car and just drive it. You are my hero and f.w.i.w. my six year old made a Corvette collage out of old Corvette magazines and your car is in it on his bedroom wall. The orange wheels did it for him
Posted on: 2007/12/31 4:50

CentralCoaster RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's priceless. Consistency is king at the strip.

I've never even driven out of state! It's a big state though. I'd like to do 1-lap though, or kill the car trying.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:23

BrianCunningham RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

If you've never taken your C4 on a long road trip you need to.

It's a blast!

Back when I lived in Dallas I used to drive back to Boston for the holidays, same when I lived in Detroit!

We should all plan a get together
Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:34

RollaMo-LT4 RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

If you like road trips, consider the annual Hot Rod Power Tour.

Even though it's not Corvette specific, there are quite a few that do this tour.
I've been doing this tour every year since 2002.

2006 Power Tour was the longest for me. Orlando, FL to Englishtown NJ.
Just a tad over 4,000 miles from the time I left home until I returned. Got to meet forum member CREWZIN on that tour.
Looked everywhere for Mr MoJo at Englishtown, but just way too many cars to find anybody.
I posted a few Corvette pics from there, and found out later they belonged to several forum members.

And for you Case, there are usually a few Aussie's come over and do this as well.
2005 tour, had a group of them ship two cars over and they drove them on the tour, and spent the summer seeing the sights in the USA.
Pretty cool cars they had too, even if the steering wheel was on the wrong side.
These were Aussie cars too, not converted American cars.

Close to 2,500 car guys and gals and their cars. You can't beat it.

This year's tour starts in Little Rock, AR and ends up in Madison, WI
Posted on: 2008/1/1 21:36

CFI-EFI RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

It seems as thought many of you have driven further, but I attended 6 NHRA Division 7 Summit Bracket Racing Finals in a row.

1998 L.A.C.R at Palmdale, California
1999 The Strip At Las Vegas, Nevada (The old track)
2000 Sears Point at Sonoma, California (Now Infineon)
2001 The Strip At Las Vegas, Nevada (The new track)
2002 Top Gun Raceway at Fallon, Nevada
2003 Southwestern at Tucson, Arizona

I loaded up the car with luggage, racing paraphernalia, and the dog, and headed out. I drove straight through, even on the 850 mile drives to Sonoma and Tucson (Palmdale was a long day, too). Then I raced for 4 days, straight. On the Monday, I repacked everything and headed back.

These things do like to cruise. I am looking forward to being able to do it all again.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/2 1:04

Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Putting these up for Case.
Those Aussies know how to take a road trip.

These were taken in Milwaukee, WI. at the start of the 2005 Power Tour. They shipped their cars over, and had a blast with their American hot rodder friends.
We ended the tour that year in Orlando, FL.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

[size=18:e308573b00]Now Boys, that's a road trip [/size:e308573b00] :occasion7:
Posted on: 2008/1/2 2:17

CasetheCorvetteman RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Great stuff mate!! Falcons Top one is an XB GT hardtop, bottom one is an XC hardtop.

My old man had an XB GS hardtop Falcon that he bought brand new, mullberry in colour, silver GS stripes, beast of a car

I notice this is missing from the XB in that pic:
Resized Image
The "Super Roo"
Posted on: 2008/1/2 13:23

Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

I knew you'd identify them.

Nothing like the American Falcon of the same era.

From an American standpoint, they look like a cross between a Mustang and a Torino. They have a lot of features of both cars of the mid '70's.

And yes, those two cars sounded pretty stout.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 13:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

oooh... I love those Aussie Falcons. Bad to the BONE!

I also have a soft spot for the Chrysler Chargers with the Hemi I6... 320hp, weber carbs, headers... that's bad ass!!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/5 3:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Resized Image

Resized Image

yea, that's the shit right there.

The engine was being designed by Chrysler Australia. The plan was for it to be used in pickups here, but never happened, so they used it down there in the Charger.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 3:57

FLYINLOW90 RE:3500 mile road trip just to race the Crossfire!
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Wow after the road trip the Aussies took mine are nothing.

I love taking mine on road trips too. I've been to NYC, Rehobeth Beach De., Carlisle Pa. for the Vette Show, and Lancaster county Pa. to visit family many times. My wife and I have also taken it to Niagara Falls and
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON many times.

Gotta love a road trip in the Vette.

Gary
Posted on: 2008/1/16 16:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.