Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
196 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

bogus Maintenance Project From Hell
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Well... this long holiday weekend looked good to do a major maintenance project.

It starts with the need to replace the clutch... I have never liked the Fidenza aluminum flywheel. I was told when I bought it that it would work without balancing... lesson learned... it must be match balanced. It would vibrate at about 4400 RPM.

The car also has 170k miles on it and the front seals must be junk by now.

What I hadn't expected was the sheer amounts of grease and oil build up. I removed the O2 sensors weatherpack connector... and oil poured out!

The entire undercarriage is just covered in this goo... the inside of the bell housing is coated with this 1mm thick layer of oil/clutch dust/road grime, all baked in. I have already burned off a bottle of simple green and a can of brake cleaner getting that crap off.

I am going to pull the engine tomorrow night... It makes sense at this point to pull the motor and clean everything properly, inspect the rack/pinion and replace the seals on the timing cover.

With three seals on the LT1 (waterpump/opti/crank), it makes sense that is the location of the main oil leak. The rear main is actually very dry, so I don't think that was the source. I am going to replace it - I am there - but for the most part, it looks dry.

I may need to find that front main seal fix kit... IIRC, there is a kit that has a collar on it to go over the crank snout. The idea is that over over time, the rubber seal creates a groove in the crank, making for an even bigger leak source. And after 170k miles, I would not be surprised of the crank is seriously groved.

So far, the transmission, clutch and exhaust are out of the car. I have disconnected much of the wiring, with only the heater hoses and a couple of wires to disconnect.

Tonight, I sorted all of the bolts... so grimy and coated in oil. Some had even worked a little loose due to all the oil on them (I know the bolts were tight 5 years ago when I did this last, I had a torque wrench and used the damned thing!). Some are still soaking in Simple Green. Others have been cleaned and are already stored in a piece of cardboard, IDing where they go. The inspection shield and starter are now clean again, too...

Once the engine comes out, I will degrease the chassis... it is really tragic under there.

Oh, Matthew - that NAPA aluminum cleaner really rocks!!!

I did pick up a new creeper... Harbor Freight for $30.00. It really seems to work well. It's hard plastic with 6 wheels and a really nice back support! It's also low slung and will allow me to slide under my car...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf ... yitem.taf?Itemnumber=2745

I will update as the days progress. I had optimistically expected to get this done over the weekend. But with goo everywhere, I was being slowed. Slippery bolts... oily components, it was a mess. An absolute disgrace.

As an aside, you do find things... when I was checking the radiator, I found 2 styrofoam coffee cups and a plastic bag... and a socket. Many years ago, my late brother bought me a set of metric sockets. I have them still after all these years, but lost the 10mm... it fell down into the engine compartment, but could never find it I figured it had fallen out months ago. Well, there it was, purched up on the wiring above the oil temp sender!!! All oily and not the least bit rusty!!! ya!

That's it for now... more tomorrow!
Posted on: 2009/7/6 5:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds like fun! :-P

Good luck, Andy!!
Posted on: 2009/7/6 10:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I'm waiting for pictures of this fiasco

Then you can laugh at me when I do mine (next year???)

Matthew

PS - glad you like the cleaner, but thank 95vette for that tip.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 11:41

djxib Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Hi Andy, the crank snout 'fix' (actually on my 1992 it goes onto the hub) you talked about is called a "speedy-sleeve" - I got mine for about $25 from NAPA.

Good luck with your project!
Posted on: 2009/7/6 12:10

biggrizzly Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Andy,

FWIW - I had 150k miles or so on my engine when I did it and thought that all the oil was coming from the front main seal too. I replaced the seal and all the other ones too for that matter, but I had no groove at all on the crank snout. So perhaps you will be lucky and not have to sleeve it.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 13:17

bogus Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Either way, it's great that the kit is readily available, and would be even greater if I end up not needing it!

There is a leak from hell somewhere, tho... the amount of pure wet is just astounding. The amount of goo everywhere is mindboggling. And I keep it "clean!" I hose down the under carriage with every O/C... apparently, I wasn't doing a good enough job of it. And the leak has gotten worse in the last 6-8 weeks.

Regardless, it will be fixed this week. Tonight, I am taking the engine out.

Tomorrow will be clean up and seal/gasket changes.

Oh, the pilot bearing was broken. The last clutch had a bearing, not a bushing. The bearing had the center part on the trans input shaft and no bearings... not good. I guess it was damaged on installation (my bad).
Posted on: 2009/7/6 14:26

BrianCunningham Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Mine's leaking like a sieve too.

If you put an electric WP on, pull the drive!

I wish my new engine was ready, replacing the rack would be a lot easier!

You going to pull the intake?

That's a big source of leaks on LTX engines.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:22

1Fast04Vert Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

And on the seventh day you shall rest. (and about every other hour in between).
Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:36

jhammons01 Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

If I do this "maintenance Project"...And I will do this this Fall or Winter....I will have "refreshed" from the Radiator all the way to the rear hubs and everywhere in between.

But I hear ya Andy, While the entire drive line was out...I was thinking...it wouldn't be that much more to lift the motor out.......

The only thing that stopped me and what stops me now is that vibration.....I have to address the high speed vibration and that is going to be found in the front suspension somewhere.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:38

anesthes Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Well... this long holiday weekend looked good to do a major maintenance project.

It starts with the need to replace the clutch... I have never liked the Fidenza aluminum flywheel. I was told when I bought it that it would work without balancing... lesson learned... it must be match balanced. It would vibrate at about 4400 RPM.

You must have got a dud. All 1pc rear main flywheels have the same balance weight. LT1s included. All 2pc rear flywheels for 350 applications are neutral.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/7/6 16:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If that is the case, why does the DMFW have the provision for the weights?

No progress... I had to put the car back on 4 wheels. Some annonymus neighbour decided to rat me out to the cops and I got a ticket for working on my car in the street.

Nelson V is coming over tomorrow to help me swap Vettes in the driveway...

I will then be able to yank the motor.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 5:16

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Arggghhhh, that blows! Hopefully appropriate karma will befall said neighbor.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 7:57

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Epimax Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Arggghhhh, that blows! Hopefully appropriate karma will befall said neighbor.

Indeed--Bring on the karma to the guilty neighbor-and lots of it too! What a crock...
Posted on: 2009/7/8 10:01

biggrizzly Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I had a neighbor complain in my old neighborhood because I jacked the car up on all four corners to pull the wheels and clean the suspension and wheels. I really wasn't even working on the car. No ticket was issued, but the cops came by to see what I was doing and how long it would be out of service.

We moved
Posted on: 2009/7/8 12:41

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

BTW, there was a service bulletin about '92s that needed to have weights added to the flywheel to eliminate vibration.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:12

jhammons01 Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^A factory service bulletin about a Fidenza all aluminum flywheel?

I'm confused here...
Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:22

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
^^A factory service bulletin about a Fidenza all aluminum flywheel?

I'm confused here...

No, about the DMFW.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:25

anesthes Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
If that is the case, why does the DMFW have the provision for the weights?

No idea, could be a vette thing, or it could be the same flywheel is used on the LT5 and they needed an easy way to change the balance without welding.

What would you expect to "match balance" it to anyway? You would need to remove the rotating assembly, weigh the pistons, rings, pins, etc. Do you really expect to have to do that when changing flywheels? That is just plain sillyness.

Your aftermarket flywheel may very well be 'out of spec', but that's the MFG's fault. All 1pc rear flywheels should have the same counterweight.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:40

BillH Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
BTW, there was a service bulletin about '92s that needed to have weights added to the flywheel to eliminate vibration.

Brad, where did you see this? I've looked thru the 92 TSBs and never saw this one.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There was a TSB on 1996 LT4s for balance issues.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 14:50

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/7/8 15:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... update time.

I got the motor out today... and what a god awful mess this is.

I had to cobble up my own Kent-Moore crank snout puller... but it worked just fine and dandy!

I think the main cause of the leak is a torn oil pan gasket way up front on the engine. At the corner where it turns to the side of the engine. I am getting a new gasket as I type. On hold at the local AutoZone... they sell FelPro.

The goo build up on the cross member is every bit of 1/4" thick!!! horrid.

I also found that the rear cam seal is weaping quite a bit. I am not sure what to do there, but I think I am going to slather it in RTV and hope for the best... it sure won't hurt anything.

I will post pics of the mess later.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 1:34

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Time to make it shine ;-)
Posted on: 2009/7/12 1:59

Stl94LT1 Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Guru Newb
128 Posts

The LT1/4 engines are externally balanced via the flywheel. If you change the flywheel you must match balance the old to the new. There might have been a rare few that didn't need this balance method, but most did. There are even claims of a few of the LT4's needed to also be balanced through the balancer/dampner.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 2:00

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Take a look at the PS lines.

Oil loves to eat them. Now would be a great time to replace them

Also check your PS rack boots.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 2:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Brian,

Both are on the list. I have checked the boots and they look great. The lines are nasty, but I will know more after cleaning.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 5:35

TommyT-Bone Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33754 Posts

I remember you mentioning Simple Green to me at Sebring. How much is a 55 gallon drum?
Posted on: 2009/7/12 11:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That ain't enough... Purple Power (I think it's by Castrol) has a 2 gallon jug... bought one yesterday.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 16:32

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Simple Green has BBQ cleaner - wonder if that would do any good? Come to think of it, the intake would make dandy grill marks on a steak.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 16:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

good question.... and I agree about the grille marks. I will try that sometime.
Posted on: 2009/7/12 18:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Another update!

I got the front cover off and the oil pan.

Both have been cleaned, resealed/gasketed and reinstalled. The waterpump shaft is a bit tricky, but I think I oiled down both the shaft and the seal enough to get it on without harming it.

If not, I think I can do that gasket on the engine, in a pinch.

Learned something very interesting... Simple Green eats magnesium!!! Yup. Chews it right up. I will post pics later. However, I left my magnesium bell housing in my parts cleaner... just laying in a 1/2" deep puddle of simple green. Pulled it out after about 4 days and the damned stuff ate it!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/12 23:11

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good to know about the Simple Green with magnesium. I am sure I used a little when I cleaned my bellhousing, but for the most part I used Brake-Kleen. Good lawd, that thing was filthy inside!
Posted on: 2009/7/12 23:21

Matatk Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Simple Green eats magnesium!!! Yup. Chews it right up. I will post pics later.

Wow, I'm shocked. I always thought simple green was about the safest cleaner to use on everything. Wonder how it would affect our valve covers since I'd like to clean and repaint those one day.

I'd like to see pics.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/13 0:07

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will post pics tomorrow.

The thing is, I soaked it. I can say a cleaning and rinsing won't do anything. I checked the MSDS and there is no reference made to reactivity.

They do offer it in 55 gal drums.

Oh, another observation: The new FelPro gasket is installed dry, has a metal core all the way around.

Both front corners on the old one are broken.
Posted on: 2009/7/13 3:11

Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The waterpump shaft is a bit tricky, but I think I oiled down both the shaft and the seal enough to get it on without harming it.

Hey Andy - that seal is a bit tricky, there is a special tool for its install that keeps the rear part of the seal pointing rearwards and the front pointing forwards.

If either condition is not correct, either because the seal was pushed over the shaft without the tool (i.e. both ends of the seal pointing out) or the shaft was inserted into the seal (i.e. both ends of the seal pointing in) then you'll probably have trouble!

Oh - and the FSM says to install it dry.....
Posted on: 2009/7/13 11:48

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Simple Green eats magnesium!!! Yup. Chews it right up. I will post pics later.

That's definitely a new one!
Posted on: 2009/7/13 15:04

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/7/13 17:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... I think I can make the tool... no problem... however, how does one use it???
Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am ordering a DynaSpark...

The bearing in my opti is not yet junk, but it sounds like it is running on sandpaper and it has hitches. There is also rust all over the shaft. I refuse to put that neat aluminum cover on that old POS.

I did get the oil pan and front cover torqued. Same with the oil filter housing. The motor is now right side up and ready for the intake. I will have the motor cleaned up and done by Thursday night.

My next challenge? Getting the rest of the pilot bearing out. Itwas all messed up in there and the outer shell is stil trapped. I can't get my bearing puller on it... so I am going to try and break it out.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 4:51

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/7/15 5:16

Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
hm... I think I can make the tool... no problem... however, how does one use it???

The tool fits over the end of the wp shaft (shaft sticking out from timing chain cover) and provides a step-less transition for the seal to slide over. Without the tool the inner seal flange will fold inwards when one tries to push the seal onto the shaft.

Hope this makes sense...
Posted on: 2009/7/15 12:01

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The bearing in my opti is not yet junk, but it sounds like it is running on sandpaper and it has hitches. There is also rust all over the shaft. I refuse to put that neat aluminum cover on that old POS.

I'd take the cap off and see what the insides look like.

Cap & rotor doesn't cost that much.

You going the 'vented opti' mod?
Posted on: 2009/7/15 13:19

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Andy, I have a slightly used 92 Oti that you could have for a really good price.

Pic 1 - Ahhhhh, where are the bearings?
Pic 2 - Do you think the disc could be straightened?

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0539.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0540.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/7/15 13:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I'd take the cap off and see what the insides look like.

Cap & rotor doesn't cost that much.

You going the 'vented opti' mod?

yo, cunningham, I have LTCC! I don't need cap/rotor. I need a new opti.

The bearing is junk in the making. I took the rotor off and all you can hear is really dry bearing. At a slow turn, there are several hitches.

I suspect it could last a few months, I just don't want to get into it again in 4-5 months.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Andy, I have a slightly used 92 Oti that you could have for a really good price.

Pic 1 - Ahhhhh, where are the bearings?
Pic 2 - Do you think the disc could be straightened?

you win. Yours sucks more.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

djxib wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

The tool fits over the end of the wp shaft (shaft sticking out from timing chain cover) and provides a step-less transition for the seal to slide over. Without the tool the inner seal flange will fold inwards when one tries to push the seal onto the shaft.

Hope this makes sense...

That's what I have been figuring out... but the concept is annoying.

They say install dry, but if it's teflon, won't all the teflon fall off during the install process?

I am going to get some thin walled tubing and make a tool.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:40

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

yo, cunningham, I have LTCC! I don't need cap/rotor. I need a new opti.

The bearing is junk in the making. I took the rotor off and all you can hear is really dry bearing. At a slow turn, there are several hitches.

I suspect it could last a few months, I just don't want to get into it again in 4-5 months.

A lot of good the LTCC did you then LOL

Seriously, DynaSpark used to make an opti with a fake cap on it for LTCC use.

EDIT: DynaSpark not TeamTech.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:44

jaa1992 Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

When I did my waterpump seal I found a drawing of a tool made from a dry erase marker.

Basically the old school dry erase markers have just the right form to keep the seal in place.

I'll look around and see if I still have the instructions - I know I tossed the marker body I used.

I'm glad to hear DynaSpark is back to selling stuff. I was worried soon after I bought and installed mine they seemed to disappear for a long while.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 20:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

you win. Yours sucks more.

Believe it of not the damn thing ran OK. It only cut out above 4k. And ran fine otherwise. Ehen I laid it on the bench the ball bearings fell out.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 22:11

Jeffvette Re: Maintenance Project From Hell
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Andy, if you want to borrow my LT1 service kit you can.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 22:58

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.