Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
256 user(s) are online (234 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

dvboard New member looking for a good deal
Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Just found this place searching the web, trying to find a good deal on a cheap (sub 3k lol) vette. Maybe i can join the ranks of you C4 owners soon enough :D!
Posted on: 2007/8/9 23:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:New member looking for a good deal
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Wow...3K could buy you a good project car...maybe needing paint or or something. I have not seen too many C4s inthat price range in good condition, but I am sure they are out there. I will keep an eye out for you
Posted on: 2007/8/9 23:27

dvboard RE:New member looking for a good deal
Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Running is my main goal, driving even better. Look of interior or paintjob, nah. As long as i'm not dealing with lots of rot (do corvettes even rust?).

I'm a college student and i plan to use this as a hobby car. I figure with all the C4 fans here someone might know of something in my range that's not all the way across the country (I'm located on the IN/KY boarder 5 minutes north of louisville, KY). :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2007/8/10 3:46

bogus RE:New member looking for a good deal
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

welcome aboard!

my only concern... a $3k C4 = one thing - MONEY PIT.
Posted on: 2007/8/10 4:32

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
welcome aboard!

my only concern... a $3k C4 = one thing - MONEY PIT.
That's beena real thought for me as well, but i figure any RWD V8 vehicle (preferably manual) that is that cheap will take some repair. I'm willing to so that i can at least do the work myself assuming i have the tools avalible (or affordable).
Posted on: 2007/8/10 4:51

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Dang man!!!! I live in Georgetown! Small world I guess. I would consider letting my C4 go, but not for 3K. I have considered selling it before to make money for my C3.

I will keep an eye out for you, esp. since I know your so close.
Posted on: 2007/8/10 9:10

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Dang man!!!! I live in Georgetown! Small world I guess. I would consider letting my C4 go, but not for 3K. I have considered selling it before to make money for my C3.

I will keep an eye out for you, esp. since I know your so close.

Wow your close. Got any pictures of your C4? I've been up that way a few times, love the drive-in!

Right now i'm chasing a few leads (no C4's). Did have one guy was gonna upgrade to a '96 and sell me his DD '87 for $2500, but deal fell through on the '96 and he kept his '87.

Side question: What year did true 6 speed manuals start?
Posted on: 2007/8/10 18:50

Greg RE:New member looking for a good deal
Guru Newb
Corydon, IN
11 Posts

Hi
I am in Corydon. I will watch for a bargain. Welcome.
Posted on: 2007/8/11 3:45

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Has a computer issue? http://lexington.craigslist.org/car/392998537.html

Didn't know how hard something like that would be to fix, or if it would only be worth a few grand before fixed. I haven't gotten a good read on vette prices yet...
Posted on: 2007/8/11 17:38

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

ECMs are about $400 if I remember correctly. How does this person know that that is what the problem really is? Why does he not fix the problem and then try to sell it for more(atleast the price of the unit).

I would do a little research on what it is you really want. If you wanted a manual tranny car, then get that. There is nothing like regretting it later. It costs about $2000 to convert to manual from an automatic.

Anyway, there is a really nice one down on 131 past Autozone. Its red white A-Molds. It a later body style one too.

There is also one at a car dealer in New Albany on Vincennes St by the White Castle. He usually sells cars pretty cheap there. It is an older one..probably 85-87 or so.
Posted on: 2007/8/11 23:28

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

There is also a C3 looks to be 75-77 up on Hwy 62 near the fairgrounds.
Posted on: 2007/8/11 23:29

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
ECMs are about $400 if I remember correctly. How does this person know that that is what the problem really is? Why does he not fix the problem and then try to sell it for more(atleast the price of the unit).
I guess i'll give him an e-mail and ask. Some people are just lazy, or don't want to pay for the labor costs.

Quote:
I would do a little research on what it is you really want. If you wanted a manual tranny car, then get that. There is nothing like regretting it later. It costs about $2000 to convert to manual from an automatic.
I'm not stuck on manual, although it would be my preferance to get one to try. I've only driven a manual vehicle once before, and i enjoyed it, but it wasn't a "have to have".

Quote:
Anyway, there is a really nice one down on 131 past Autozone. Its red white A-Molds. It a later body style one too.
I'll drive by tommorow if i get a chance. At the dealership there they will likely want a premium.

Quote:
There is also one at a car dealer in New Albany on Vincennes St by the White Castle. He usually sells cars pretty cheap there. It is an older one..probably 85-87 or so.
I know the one your talking about, i almost got a car there, but it had been wrecked. Kinda makes me lery of the place considering i talked to the guy and he didn't mention it. My dad pointed it out quite quickly though.

It's kinda depressing to have that pointed out sometimes, but it's saved me from making an expensive mistake.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 0:13

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
There is also a C3 looks to be 75-77 up on Hwy 62 near the fairgrounds.
I've seen that one. I think they wanted $5k for it earlier this summer. Kinda a tan/gold/white'ish? Maybe i'll stop by and see if they've dropped the price.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 0:15

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Yeah...like a cream colored. I didn't see inside of it, just drove by.

Are you going to the car show tomorrow at the Charlestown 4-H fairgrounds? SHould be nice. I think they are also having a burn out contest too.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 0:21

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Yeah...like a cream colored. I didn't see inside of it, just drove by.

Are you going to the car show tomorrow at the Charlestown 4-H fairgrounds? SHould be nice. I think they are also having a burn out contest too.
I didn't know they where having one. What time is it? I don't think i have much else to do.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 0:32

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Its for the Charlestown Police reserves. Registration starts at 8am. I am at work all night so I probably won't be over until noon-ish myself.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 0:39

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

This is what i got back on that craigslist vette:
Quote:
I think its the ecm because when i start it
sometimes,it dont do anything,20 minutes later it
starts,sometimes it cuts out when driving,20 minutes
later itll start back up,the coolant fan stopped
working at the same time and the dash flickers,and
poor throttle responce. this all happened in the same
week. my friend can get me a computer brand new for 75
bucks. if i fix it, it will be worth a lot more.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2007/8/12 2:39

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Its for the Charlestown Police reserves. Registration starts at 8am. I am at work all night so I probably won't be over until noon-ish myself.
Open to all to visit though right? I don't have a show worthy car myself .
Posted on: 2007/8/12 2:42

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Hahahaha I like that "If I fix it, it will be worth a lot more"....funny...then fix it you moron!!! Geez for only $75 bucks.

Sounds like the VATS if it won't start and then it will 20 minutes later. Could be a fuel pump on the stuttering problem. As far as dash flickering, could be a bad ground connection, very common.

SOunds fishy to me. PLus its in OHIO?
Posted on: 2007/8/12 2:45

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Oh yeah, anyone can come to the car show..open to the public.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 2:46

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Hahahaha I like that "If I fix it, it will be worth a lot more"....funny...then fix it you moron!!! Geez for only $75 bucks.

Sounds like the VATS if it won't start and then it will 20 minutes later. Could be a fuel pump on the stuttering problem. As far as dash flickering, could be a bad ground connection, very common.

SOunds fishy to me. PLus its in OHIO?
Ohio is the closest place i could find listed online that i thought i'd get a chance at. Honestly if i was in Texas, New Jersey, or California i'd have found my car by now.

Think it would be worth fixing? I know dropping the tank to do a fuel pump is a PITA on my cavy, but is it as bad on a vette?
Posted on: 2007/8/12 2:56

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I didn't catch how much $$$ he wanted?

You don't drop the tank in the vette...you just pull the pump up from the gas lid area just behind the rear glass. Piece-o-cake
Posted on: 2007/8/12 4:16

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
I didn't catch how much $$$ he wanted?

You don't drop the tank in the vette...you just pull the pump up from the gas lid area just behind the rear glass. Piece-o-cake
Wow, that's really not too bad then.

What's the VATS you said it might be?

And he didn't list a price, i e-mailed him back asking though. Also asked him miles. You think it's out of my price range? I'm not sure, but if they guy honestly thought he could fix it for $75 he prbly would have, so i'm sure i can talk him down somewhat from what one would ask fully working.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 5:26

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Info back on price and milage:
Quote:
149,000....I paid 4500 for this 2 months ago and i put
a new water pump in it. not for sure what i want. just
make me an offer.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 16:04

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Hmm Intersting. You may be able to talk him down to $3500 or so. Are you sure you want RED interior and an auto?

If he accepts an offer of yours, make sure he has a CLEAN title. Just plan on doing some research and using some elbow grease to get it running right. Since I am close, I can help you in any way I can...but I am no expert and Andy lives in Cali...LOL.
Posted on: 2007/8/12 23:14

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Hmm Intersting. You may be able to talk him down to $3500 or so. Are you sure you want RED interior and an auto?

If he accepts an offer of yours, make sure he has a CLEAN title. Just plan on doing some research and using some elbow grease to get it running right. Since I am close, I can help you in any way I can...but I am no expert and Andy lives in Cali...LOL.
I didn't see it was an auto :sad:.

And that color combo is fine, least it's not red on red.

I also looked for the vette on 131, couldn't find it. The one by WC was a '84, auto and $5900 on the window.
Posted on: 2007/8/13 0:01

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Ewww...a stock 84 would have a hard time getting $5900 in my opinion unless its in mint condition. Remember the '84 has the cross-fire injection which a lot of people do not like due to issues.

An auto can be fun, my 88 is an auto. I rebuilt the tranny and put in a shift kit and it launches hard, and chirps the tires into second and sometimes into third even with 315's out back.

I forgot to respond to your question about VATS. Its the theft deterant system. Each key is coded with a little "microchip" that tells the car its ok to start it when inserted. If it does not read it, it will not start and you have to wait 4 minutes to try again. However, it will not turn over at all when it detects a possible attempt to steal it. Its pretty common for this to happen. Mine does it every once in a while. There is a bypass you can buy if its a major headache.
Posted on: 2007/8/13 2:15

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Quote:
Ewww...a stock 84 would have a hard time getting $5900 in my opinion unless its in mint condition. Remember the '84 has the cross-fire injection which a lot of people do not like due to issues.

An auto can be fun, my 88 is an auto. I rebuilt the tranny and put in a shift kit and it launches hard, and chirps the tires into second and sometimes into third even with 315's out back.

I forgot to respond to your question about VATS. Its the theft deterant system. Each key is coded with a little "microchip" that tells the car its ok to start it when inserted. If it does not read it, it will not start and you have to wait 4 minutes to try again. However, it will not turn over at all when it detects a possible attempt to steal it. Its pretty common for this to happen. Mine does it every once in a while. There is a bypass you can buy if its a major headache.
I don't plan on an '84 unless it's a really good deal. I've never understood what they where trying to do with the crossfire system.

What all have you done to your car?

And that VATS doesn't sound like too bad an issue, how much does it normally cost to bypass it? Sounds like it's just worn out.

Also: why is this site so slow at times? Just seems like it has a delay before anything happens.
Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:05

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

I spoke kinda soon: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/376485305.html <-thoughts? i contacted them for more info and to see if they still had the car.
Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:24

Guru Newb
Mars (Southern Indiana)
18 Posts

Also, i've been getting this error lately:
Quote:
General Error

Couldn't get mail server response codes

DEBUG MODE

Line : 128
File : /export/home/c4/c4guru20/public_html/includes/smtp.php
Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.