Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ZF6
A 6-speed manual transmission, standard from 1989 to 1996.

Very stout.

There are two distinct versions, the original “Black Tag,” 1989-E1...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

#1 LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:47
I was just curious, especially with respect to the height at which the intake mounts, if there is a difference between the LT1 and the L98 blocks.

What I am really trying to get at here, is if there is a difference in hood clearance with a genII LT1 or a genI SBC, and if so, which has more hood clearance in a C4?

Any ideas? (I always assumed it was the same...but that was an assumption.)

EDIT for clarity: Hood clearance, as in between the china wall/intake mounting point and the hood.

Further EDIT: This is not an LT1 manifold swap.

#2 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
BrianCunningham Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:51
You can install a LT1 intake on an L98, but the bolt holes and cooler passages are different.

An LT1 intake is a lot shorter than an L98 due to the shorter runners.

That answer your question?

What exactly are you trying to do?
Engine swap?

#3 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
cuisinartvette Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:57
Deck height should be the same, the rest is dictated by intake. LT1 intake should clear about any hood.

#4 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
Matatk Posted on: 2009/11/13 19:35
Andy will chime in because he has personal experience, but there is a difference in actual hood clearance/dimensions between earlier and later hoods.

Matthew

#5 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
BrianCunningham Posted on: 2009/11/13 19:43
I thought that had more to do with the accessories?

#6 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:09
Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Deck height should be the same, the rest is dictated by intake. LT1 intake should clear about any hood.

Ok, that is essentially what I am getting at.

Matak, yeah, if Andy chimes in that would be great. My car is an 86. It would be nice if we had more clearance...but I'm sure it will be the other way around.

Thanks!

#7 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/13 23:11
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
You can install a LT1 intake on an L98, but the bolt holes and cooler passages are different.

An LT1 intake is a lot shorter than an L98 due to the shorter runners.

That answer your question?

What exactly are you trying to do?
Engine swap?

Nope, no LT1 intake. Though maybe if it doesn't work.

I'm just looking at hood clearance-intake measurements and I need to know if (subtracting the height of the lt1 intake) I can use measurements for hood clearance from an LT1 car to predict (+my intake height) hood clearance.

Clear as mud?

Intake swap, still a gen1 sbc.

#8 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
cuisinartvette Posted on: 2009/11/14 0:54
LT1/Miniram swaps done on early C4s done all the time they fit fine.

#9 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
vetteoz Posted on: 2009/11/14 1:03
Quote:
RedGut86 wrote: Clear as mud?

No
but LT1 is 6" ;china rail to top and TPI is about 9 1/2" to highest point so LT1 intake on ANY SBC in C4 would have 3 1/2" MORE clearance to hood than TPI

HSR is only intake that has C4 clearance problems in unmoddified form

#10 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/14 1:19
Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Quote:
RedGut86 wrote: Clear as mud?

No

Haha, I appreciate your honesty.

This is not an LT1 swap and the HSR isn't the only manifold that won't fit untouched...I think. I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm going to go see the manifold in question this weekend so..... I want to have my facts right!

Also, the clearance to the hood is variable depending on who you ask and where they measure. Where it matters most to me is at the front china wall and it appears to be 9.00-9.10 inches of clearance at that point. If you know it to be 9.5 at the front china wall, please let me know the year of your Vette!

#11 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/14 1:21
Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
LT1/Miniram swaps done on early C4s done all the time they fit fine.

I'm beginning to think more and more I should just suck it up and go with a MiniRam and be done with it!

#12 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
corvetteronw Posted on: 2009/11/15 13:56
Check with these folks first: www.corvetteplenum.com
I was cruising the booths at Carlisle this year and met the guys that run the business. They CNC port your L98 plenum (they can polish it too) which allows it to flow much better.
If I recall, they say that you can pull some great numbers simply by porting your own heads, installing a larger throttle body, Lingenfelter 219 cam, aftermarket runners (that they also port) and larger injectors. Add headers and you are running with the C5 Z06.
They are looking for someone to do a test so they can publish in a major Corvette magazine. You must be willing to do a baseline on your car with either a dyno run or a 1/4 mile run. Then after installing their product you would do the same run to see how much you have gained.
I personally love the look of the TPI once it is cleaned up.

#13 Re: LT1 vs L98 (gen1) block dimensions?
RedGut86 Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:22
Wow, see that is what I would think a company would want to do, instead I am getting blown off and talking to tech guys with 0 answers.

Yeah, I went down to Pleasanton, CA Saturday for the annual GoodGuys Novemeber show. The makers of the intake in question were supposed to show, they never did. So now I am out 4hrs of driving and admission and parking fees with no gain. Don't get me wrong, there were lots of nice cars and such, but we have local car shows...I drove just to see them since they said on their website and told me on the phone they would be there... Rant off...

I know this intake has been done on CF, but I think this is possible on an L98 car (his was LT1) and I have different ideas on how to get it to work, which hopefully make it more accessible to the common wrencher. (AKA no welding and cutting off the tab etc)

Anyway, yeah, I would do that but I wouldn't fit their bill. 383, big heads, open exhaust so forth so on. I'm currently on a SuperRam and looking for more RPM but I'd rather jump to 7" runners instead of 3.5" runners since they would better fit the RPM range I am looking for. Thanks for the tip though.

__Well, the jig is on. I'll be mocking it up hopefully soon.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.