Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

It's looking better for this project, it looks like the Quicktime bellhousing eliminates the need for the adapter bracket and the ZR1 shaft.

I spoke with Bill Monday, very helpful. I owe him an answer on the bellhousing...need to call him back.

I still have to pull the 383 (hopefully monday) and see what's up, if it's ignition and not motor then the swap will probably wait until November so I can enjoy a few more track days before summer's gone.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 20:30

Ultraman Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

That would be a fun thread to follow.....LS is where it's at right now.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 22:45

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

I say go for it

Jeffvette had a set of LS swap headers for sale cheap, not sure if he still does.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/15 22:21

jonszr1 Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i just got back from bills and drove his 89 thats been converted . its awsome and his coversion switches the clutch to a standard pull type instead of the one thats in our cars .his ph is 602 319 6575 .tell him brad sent ya . he is a great guy and can help with everything even the computor work as his car retained the stk 89 gauges .
Posted on: 2011/8/15 21:42
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

bogus Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

yea, it seemed rather complete, really.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 18:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

What does that include? I found the bellhousing for $521 at jegs, there is an adapter plate for the throwout bearing (I think it's pricey, like $500), and that's it. I can clear the front crossmember in an LT1 car. The only accessory that interferes, anyway, is the A/C.

I should call him.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 18:50

bogus Re: C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I talked with Bill B @ ZFDoc... his conversion ain't cheap... $2100, but includes a new k-frame to clear the engine accessories.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 17:35

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

SpectatorRacing C4 LS swap with ZF6 trans
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I might be taking the plunge. I'm tired of having to run heavy because I have too much HP (tough life, eh?), and I don't like LT1 ignition systems, even with the Delteq. Trying to choke off power caused the issue I posted last month, so that's not the answer.

The LS1 advantages for me are long in number...

My target HP is about 350 to the tire. LS1 with headers and a decent cam will get me there. This means stock motor reliability.

With the lower HP I can drop about 200 lbs from the car. The mythical 2700 lb C4 will be reality. So nice.

A higher revving motor makes my 4.10 rear gear a little less of a problem on the track and saves me $1000 in a change.

Stockish motor means my current cooling system is more than adequate. My big HP LT motor runs hotter than I like during a race.

Everybody and their brother can tune an LS, including me!

My car sounds NIIIIIICE (classic V8 rumble) but the LS race cars just sound MEAN. Like nails across a chalkboard mean. If you haven't heard one youtube one of LG or Mike Skeen's in car videos and turn it up.

A C4 with an LS has more value if I decide to sell it

If I decide to put some money into the LS motor, I can keep it and swap it into the blue car next year and put the LS2 in the C4. Or, more importantly, if I ever have an issue with the C4 race car, the LS2 becomes a nice spare

I'm putting numbers together right now, but it looks like between $4000 - 5000 depending on how complete the LS core is I purchase. Quite frankly, I should be able to get at least $3000 out of my existing 383, maybe more. It could become a neutral cost swap.

If I go through with the project I'll document the steps for a Guru tech article. However, it won't contain some of the critical info like how to make it work with the digidash for the street car crowd.

There's a thread I started with some questions on CF if anyone is interested.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 13:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.