Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

ecorti95 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Guru Newb
7 Posts

Corvette 1992, 73 K miles, bought it new, the problem is that it started misfiring intermittently a month ago. After driving for a mile or so, briefly misfires and Service Engine Soon, Service ASR, and SYS in speedometer blinks 3 times repeatedly. Also the AC stops cooling. The misfiring gets worse as the engine gets hot. I have been able to get home every time, but seems to be getting progressively worse. I do want to keep this car, it has been fairly reliable. I did have to replace the Opti and water pump at about 40 K miles. The car is stock, except an additional alarm was installed at the dealer when I purchased it.

I pulled codes from CCM Diagnostics, jumping Pins A-G in OBD1 connector

Module 1:

C41, H41 - Loss of ECM Serial Data Link

Module 4: No error codes, or sometimes if the car is hot it displays ERR

Module 9:

H62 - Tach Pulse malfunction

H72 - Loss of Data between CCM and EBTCM

ECM Diagnostics, jumping Pins A-B in OBD1 connector. Only display blinking code 12, or no reaction if there was a Module 4 Err when pulling CCM codes

I have read lots of posts from this and other forums, but I don't see a consensus about the cause of this problem based in the codes and pattern of misfires.

Some recommend replacing the ECM, some replacing the CCM, some indicate it is a wiring issue involving the Serial Data Link wires that are shorting, or grounding.

Can anyone provide some additional information that can help me troubleshoot and solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Posted on: 2020/4/29 19:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CorvetteBob Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

While I’m not experienced with the LTx cars, I’ll try to offer a place to start.
These are free and just take some time, so be ready with flashlights and your thinking cap.
Just about every Chevy I’ve had eventually need the grounds cleaned. So I find every one I can and clean them regardless of appearance.
I’ve had cars with questionable batteries cause issues. Try a battery,if possible, from another car and see if it helps. I had a battery go bad that tested great, but my impala started having all kinds of electronic troubles. The battery trick fixed it. Also look at your battery’s connections. Our old suburban had the terminal connections all limed up on side terminals that aren’t sposed to lime up.
Back to connections, clean, clean, clean.
While you’re in there keep alert to anything that doesn’t look right. Greasy stuff on things, pinched wiring, anything you see that looks out of what you think is normal.
Finally, look for the presence of mice. That Impala I mentioned had been an inside car before I bought it. One day it would turn over but not start. Eventually the battery came out and I noticed something under the tray. Mice had gotten in there and eaten about three or four inches of harness.
I hope this helps.
Posted on: 2020/4/29 19:55

bogus Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

The C41 is worrisome to me.

That is the signal that goes from the engine controller to the chassis controller...

I think I know what is happening... but I am not sure and it would take a laptop to track it with software to monitor and record things. This would also require a USB connector to allow for communications to work.

I think Tunercat is the software you want, I will have to confirm, it's been a while.

However, it sounds like to me the ECM is shutting down or failing. I like the idea of making sure everything is connected and clean. Make sure the grounds are clean and that the power block (behind the battery, against the fire wall) is clean and all connections are solid.

There are many places where things can be corroded, especially near and under the battery.

Do all that minor stuff and then remove the plate on the bottom of the engine controller. Take a sniff. Does it smell like burnt electronics? If not, that's a good thing. If so, could be bad.

Take the controller and put it back, but don't put the cover on it. Get a can of air, like used on computers to clean dust off. Take the car for a drive, once it starts to misfire, pull over, flip over the controller, invert that can and spray the cold gas into the controller. If it starts running better, you have found the problem.

Other sources of this problem are a bad coil and/or ICM - Ignition Control Module. Also, a bad harness at the ICM will wreck havoc on things.

The ICM is on the right head. You can see the coil wire. This is the source of the spark.

If the engine controller seems ok, the next time it misfires, use the same spray on the coil/ICM. If things settle back down, there is the problem.

I am betting more on the coil/ICM vs the ECM.

If it is the ECM, unless things have changed, you will need to go used. 1992 and 1993 Corvettes share the same ECM. 1993 Camaro and Firebirds, with LT1, share it, too. And from my initial search, no love new... no one is remanufacturing these things.

Again, I would start with the ICM and coil. Depending on mileage, that would be a great starting point. I am guessing the car has over 100k, so yes, ICM and coil.

And don't be surprised it is the harness. They get greasy and rotten and stuff. It ain't pretty... Same goes for the harness to the opti itself.

touch base before buying anything. There are some upgrades you need to consider.

Posted on: 2020/4/30 18:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Any update?

The more I think of this problem, the more I am convinced that the issue is with the harness around the coil and ICM.

Back some 15 years ago, a C4 regular on Corvette Forum had the exact same problem. His car would run great, then start to misfire. His was also a 1992/93 vintage.

After much analysis, it was found that the harness for the coil/ICM had failed and was intermittently losing connection, causing the coil to shut down for a moment, then turning back on. It was a needle in a haystack, to be honest.
Posted on: 2020/5/7 15:54

CorvetteBob Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I’m interested as well, any updates?
Posted on: 2020/5/9 0:29

ecorti95 Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Guru Newb
7 Posts

I performed most of the suggestions indicated by you: check grounds, check connectivity and shorts between ecm and ccm (this was a real pain in the butt). These did not correct the problem, so I sent the ecm to SIA electronics on July 2020. After getting it back and installing it all problems were resolved! The car has run great, until yesterday (12/5/2021) when the problem have reoccurred!

Car stalled at a traffic light, restarted and and was able to drive home.

I pulled codes from CCM Diagnostics, jumping Pins A-G in OBD1 connector

Module 1:

C41, H41 - Loss of ECM Serial Data Link

Module 4: displays ERR

Module 9:

H72 - Loss of Data between CCM and EBTCM

ECM Diagnostics, jumping Pins A-B in OBD1 connector. No reaction. Does not pull blinking codes.

Something new: the speedometer displayed 0 MPH while driving home.

I am probably going to send the ecm back to SIA Electronics, as it has a lifetime warranty for their repair.

Posted on: 2021/12/6 21:23

ecorti95 Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Guru Newb
7 Posts

The car does start but won't rev pass 3000 RPM. I believe this is the so call limp or fuel back-up mode.
Posted on: 2021/12/6 22:00
Edited by ecorti95 on 2021/12/6 22:51:58

TommyT-Bone Re: 1992 Vette Misfiring intermittently
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

I recommend doing a search on speed sensor issues. There are two gears, an internal one and one that connects to the sensor itself. Or the sensor could be bad. I just went through stalling isues and a zero mph reading issue on my manual 6 speed. Might give you some insight. Repaced all three on parts on mine and the car is running great.
Posted on: 2021/12/7 1:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I would bet money the zero MPH is a result of the other errors. Speed gets processed through the CCM, without a working comm chip, well, all goes to hell.

I would recommend a check of ebay for a good working ECM. The LT1 computer from an F-Body, 1993, will work perfectly.
Posted on: 2021/12/12 6:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.