Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
181 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy I Converted My '98 Durango to 4 Wheel Disc.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I don't have any pictures to liven this up with but I do want to explain a little bit about the project and the hurdles I found and a few that I tripped over.

First, my 1998 Durango came stock with rear drum brakes. I was never very happy with the system but it worked. Well, it worked until the drum hardware started wearing out and failing. For the last few years I have rebuilt my drums a few times and their capability after rebuild kept getting work due to lowered product standards and overseas manufacturing.

I needed another option. My gen Durango spanned from 1997 - 2003. The 2003 Durango had the same body style but different engine and interior choices...and 4 wheel disc brakes. Yay.

So last summer I found and bought a donor rear axle from a 2003 with disc brakes. My original plan was to swap the axle. This would have been the best plan but the ratio did not match my rear end and since I have 4x4 it must match the front ratio. Then I planned on swapping carriers, and again, swapping the whole axle. Once I pulled the cover and found significant wear, I decided I would simply pillage the disc hardware from the donor axle and bolt it all onto my stock axle.

The axle is the same width. The bolt flanges are the same pattern, and the axle shafts are the same length and bolt pattern. Everything, for the most part, bolts right up between the two axles making it all very plug and play.

First hurdle...the caliper / drum flanges on the ends of the axle tubes are NOT in the same place. On a drum axle they are further towards the ends of the tubes because the drum backing plate is much thinner than a caliper bracket. This meant that my stock flanges were 1/2" too far towards the ends of the tubes.

So...I used a grinder and cut the welds and a 3" hole saw to cut the flange around the axle tube. Once cut free, I simply slid it back 1/2", and re-welded it. Then it was a simple matter of cleaning up the welds and pressing the caliper bracket studs back through...like wheel studs.

After that everything bolted together. Being that the clips for the axle shafts are in the housing I was still able to perform a fluid change and inspect everything. All went well.

I got everything bolted together, ran the rubber / hard lines from the 2003 axle to the junction block on the axle, and bled everything.

Second hurdle...pressure would not release from the rear calipers. It was as if someone was standing on the peddle. I researched everything I could and a big problem I came up with was the distribution block on my 1998 was set up for drums, not discs. The 2003 didn't have a distribution block, and used the master and ABS system to control the front / rear ratio. Since my ABS system was the same I just removed the 1998 distribution block and installed a 2003 master.

This relieved a LOT of the pressure that seemed to be caught in the back, but not all of it. Since the pressure would bleed off after a day or so, and only build back up after pressing the brakes...I suspected something else.

Knowing that rubber lines separate and swell, they can change into a kind of check valve and hold pressure in the rear system. I replaced the center flex line that feeds the axle mounted junction.

Bingo, pressure releases perfectly, and all 4 calipers work perfectly. Once I re-bled everything, I immediately felt the difference and MAN...it was COMPLETELY worth all the trouble.

This project turned into a HUGE paint in the ass. On top of that I hadn't found anyone who had done it the same way that I ended up doing it, and I ran into a lot of problems.

I was able to jump all hurdles, and what I ended up with was a learning experience, and kick ass 4 wheel disc brakes. I am seriously thinking of installing one of my Hydroboosters next summer.
Posted on: 2011/10/13 17:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: I Converted My '98 Durango to 4 Wheel Disc.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Cool project!

I would love to upgrade the brakes on my 93 Cherokee... they are just marginally better then "suck"... so not sure what to do.

I would love to do 4 wheel discs, and could if I get the parts from a salvage yard, but the fronts would still suck.

Need to do more research.
Posted on: 2011/10/13 18:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Durango_Boy Re: I Converted My '98 Durango to 4 Wheel Disc.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Andy the 2003 offers another brake upgrade that I can do next summer. It's front discs are larger than the discs on my 1998. I could simply source some gear from the front of a 2003 and bolt it all up. I would have to change the knuckles but when compared to what I went through with the rears, no big deal.
Posted on: 2011/10/13 19:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.