Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Steve40th How to rebuild LT1/4 Water Pump, 50 Bucks.
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Well it is a simple process. I finally found someone who would sell me the seals, bearings etc. He is H2Opumpman on ebay. It was done not through ebay, but I emailed him asking where I could get the parts to rebuild. He finally did, and if you decide to do this, be tactful, as it is his business to rebuild pumps, so he was a little standoffish. Here are some pics, with little write ups.
This is the mechanical seal, which is supposed to stop the weep hole from weeping. And the bearing assembly(Canada FAG 151/154 dual bearings already attached to shaft.
Resized Image
First thing is to take 6 cover bolts off to expose impeller.
Resized Image
Then use a punch or whatever you have to get impeller off of shaft(you may need to heat it up), and to somewhat push the shaft bearing assembly out of the bottom.
Resized Image
Once that is done you can tap out the shaft with the bearings useing a light hammer or whatever you want.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Then tap out mechanical seal in the center of the pump and voila, start putting her back together. First put the bearing assembly in from the back of the pump with a light hammer and a 7/8" socket.
Resized Image
Then I put a little, very little RTV on the outside of the mechanical seal and tapped it back in with a 1" socket.
Then put the impeller back on the shaft and use a socket to tap it back to the height it was on the shaft before. NOTE: It may have gotten bent a little (impeller), but you can hit the center and flatten her back.
Resized Image
Once the impeller is back on , put the cover back on with O-Ring supplied with kit.
Resized Image
Done.
here are old bearings and seals.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/18 16:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly RE:How to rebuild LT1/4 Water Pump, 50 Bucks.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

You got the Part Nos. for the bearings and seals?
Posted on: 2008/1/18 16:23

Steve40th RE:How to rebuild LT1/4 Water Pump, 50 Bucks.
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

The part numbers were only on the actual bearings. they FAG CANADA 151 and 154. Other than that the machinist I was working with said, the mechanical seal is a very common item, very similiar to pumps onboard ships, for example. But for 50 bucks basically I got everything I needed.
The only thing I didnt get, which is minor, is the O ring that goes on the shaft that comes out the back of the pump. They are little o rings that slide on the back, and get rock hard over time.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 16:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.