Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (216 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

BeachBum Re: AFR's, Did I gain anything......
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
I think your torque curve should instead look something like one of these I filled-in with theortical curves....

Not sure which one.....but it could be the purple one that not only helps the torque where its missing, but extends the power up into the rpm range. At the very least, it is one of the other two.

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/weavdyno.jpg[/IMG]

That would be great! But still, this cam is a across the board cam,1900-6200. You're saying it can deliver something like this?

Here is the shape your torque curve should be....

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=100493#forumpost100493

Notice his Torque peak is around the 4500-4800 rpm area or thereabouts. This is Josh's motor in that old testing he did last year..... he is actually running a little more cam than you, albeit in a 383, and I believe also has the same heads as you.... with my point being, your torque peak should not be at 5500 rpm with that combination.... it should be in this same area shown in the link... you run less cubes, but also less cam and thus your torque curve should be close to a mirror image of his, except down a bit of power due to the cubic inch difference.

He has a dip down below 3000 rpm, but that probably has to do with the initial hit on the dyno and the sudden loading of the motor.... same as your 1st dip, which is fine and I think normal... (actually on yours, I think its because you're coming off the converter on your 1st small dip.)

He is a Miniram L98, you're an LT-1.... but the intakes, in general provide a very similar rpm range and torque curve in my opinion.....

You just need to fiddle with it a bit on the dyno and I'm sure you'll find the answer..... but that dip of yours is definitely a valley, when it should be a hilly peak..... and that can't be good.
Posted on: 2010/6/20 22:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Weavsvet Re: AFR's, Did I gain anything......
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
I think your torque curve should instead look something like one of these I filled-in with theortical curves....

Not sure which one.....but it could be the purple one that not only helps the torque where its missing, but extends the power up into the rpm range. At the very least, it is one of the other two.

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/weavdyno.jpg[/IMG]

That would be great! But still, this cam is a across the board cam,1900-6200. You're saying it can deliver something like this?

Here is the shape your torque curve should be....

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=100493#forumpost100493

Notice his Torque peak is around the 4500-4800 rpm area or thereabouts. This is Josh's motor in that old testing he did last year..... he is actually running a little more cam than you, albeit in a 383, and I believe also has the same heads as you.... with my point being, your torque peak should not be at 5500 rpm with that combination.... it should be in this same area shown in the link... you run less cubes, but also less cam and thus your torque curve should be close to a mirror image of his, except down a bit of power due to the cubic inch difference.

He has a dip down below 3000 rpm, but that probably has to do with the initial hit on the dyno and the sudden loading of the motor.... same as your 1st dip, which is fine and I think normal... (actually on yours, I think its because you're coming off the converter on your 1st small dip.)

He is a Miniram L98, you're an LT-1.... but the intakes, in general provide a very similar rpm range and torque curve in my opinion.....

You just need to fiddle with it a bit on the dyno and I'm sure you'll find the answer..... but that dip of yours is definitely a valley, when it should be a hilly peak..... and that can't be good.

Well, my first pull with the old tune looked similar to Josh's in shape anyway. This PCM has problems though and I couldn't get into it. I used another one I had from a different tuner to upload the new tune into. Turns out it has issues too! After I left the dyno going home I got a SES light. Checked the codes when I arrived at home and it was low voltage on both O2 banks. PO131 & PO151. Tuner says it shouldn't be anything in the tune that would cause this. I installed the other PCM back in car and no codes. Anyway, it a big mess and I'll get it squared away eventually.

Thanks for all of your help BeachBum!!!

Posted on: 2010/6/20 23:17
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

BeachBum Re: AFR's, Did I gain anything......
Master Guru
751 Posts

Actually, you have a bit of the same in that last dyno graph as well.... not as pronounced, but it looks like the problem is there. That looks like a 3rd gear pull with no shifts, do not know the rpm's, but if you mathematically figured it out, its probably roughly the same rpm.

Just throwing this out as a remote possibility, but years ago, after I first started modifying, my headers would piss my knock sensor off due to the harmonics of them..... it wouldn't go into limp home mode or anything that serious, but on my year, it pulls out a certain amount of timing, if the perceived knock is still their, it pulls even more out....naturally, it pulls out way more than it needs too..... and killed power as long as it thought it had the problem.

I do not know much about LT-1's or what you have done in regards to this already, so have no idea if that could possibly be the problem, but its something to think about. Hope you figure it out !
Posted on: 2010/6/21 2:21

dan0617 Re: AFR's, Did I gain anything......
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Congrats! Nice improvements. I think your tune is closer than alot of people think, but needs a little work. I'm guessing from what I'm seeing you are going a little too lean for the amount of timing you are running in that area of the tune. It is pulling timing I'd bet.

I found through track testing that my car makes it's best power at 12.2 to 12.7 afr. Anything over 13 and I lose power, no matter where I set the timing. Anything under 12 and I also seem to lose power, but not as much as I lose when I approach 13.5 afr.

If you get the afr's dialed down to less than 13 everywhere and you think it is pulling timing due to false knock, cut the brown wire that is coming out of the knock module. I tried the LT4 knock module and now I even have the elusive 4.3 caprice knock module, and still got some false knock. I cut the brown wire so it disables the knock retard but doesn't throw any codes. I then put a male connector on one end and female on the other so I can plug it back in anytime I want. Just listen closely for pinging when making runs, it will sound like someone shaking popcorn kernels in a tin can. Keep advancing timing, and watch the afr's as every 2 or so degrees of timing you gain without detonation you will need to add more fuel. When you hear any detonation abort the run, go back, pull out 2 degrees of timing, and you found the sweet spot.

What tires are you running? I used Nitto drag radials and with a fast roll down of the throttle, after a good tire heating, it would dead hook and I'd get 1.6X 60' times every pass. I went to MT ET street radials, and I could get those times (and 1.5X 60' times when spraying just after getting my foot to the floor) with very little tire heating. The tread doesn't last as long tho. Only suspension mods are removing the front sway bar (you could disconnect yours to see if it helps, without removing it), and setting the rear alignment to +1.5 degrees camber. I run around 17 to 18 psi in the rear tires when drag racing.

Doing these things, you should be able to run with or beat my N/A times. My best so far was a 12.08 @ 113. Was consistently 12.15 to 12.20 last season, on the 3.07 gears. I'm guessing this year, since I went to 3.45 gears and a D44 so I can launch harder, and some more tuning, that I'll get an 11.90 or maybe 11.80. I'm betting you will get that, I'm guessing your car is lighter than mine. I'm sitting at 3520 with me in it.
Posted on: 2010/6/21 14:22

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Congrats! Nice improvements. I think your tune is closer than alot of people think, but needs a little work. I'm guessing from what I'm seeing you are going a little too lean for the amount of timing you are running in that area of the tune. It is pulling timing I'd bet.

I found through track testing that my car makes it's best power at 12.2 to 12.7 afr. Anything over 13 and I lose power, no matter where I set the timing. Anything under 12 and I also seem to lose power, but not as much as I lose when I approach 13.5 afr.

If you get the afr's dialed down to less than 13 everywhere and you think it is pulling timing due to false knock, cut the brown wire that is coming out of the knock module. I tried the LT4 knock module and now I even have the elusive 4.3 caprice knock module, and still got some false knock. I cut the brown wire so it disables the knock retard but doesn't throw any codes. I then put a male connector on one end and female on the other so I can plug it back in anytime I want. Just listen closely for pinging when making runs, it will sound like someone shaking popcorn kernels in a tin can. Keep advancing timing, and watch the afr's as every 2 or so degrees of timing you gain without detonation you will need to add more fuel. When you hear any detonation abort the run, go back, pull out 2 degrees of timing, and you found the sweet spot.

What tires are you running? I used Nitto drag radials and with a fast roll down of the throttle, after a good tire heating, it would dead hook and I'd get 1.6X 60' times every pass. I went to MT ET street radials, and I could get those times (and 1.5X 60' times when spraying just after getting my foot to the floor) with very little tire heating. The tread doesn't last as long tho. Only suspension mods are removing the front sway bar (you could disconnect yours to see if it helps, without removing it), and setting the rear alignment to +1.5 degrees camber. I run around 17 to 18 psi in the rear tires when drag racing.

Doing these things, you should be able to run with or beat my N/A times. My best so far was a 12.08 @ 113. Was consistently 12.15 to 12.20 last season, on the 3.07 gears. I'm guessing this year, since I went to 3.45 gears and a D44 so I can launch harder, and some more tuning, that I'll get an 11.90 or maybe 11.80. I'm betting you will get that, I'm guessing your car is lighter than mine. I'm sitting at 3520 with me in it.
Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:40
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

Thanks for all the info Dan.

Until I can get a response from Craig Moates about that datta logger I bought I don't really have a way to tell what is going on so I'm just waiting right now.

The part up there in bold......is that safe to do? I run open cutouts and it's pretty loud in the car. I'd be afraid I wouldn't hear any pinging or pop corn popping going on and ruin something.....like the engine!

Tires.....As you have probably guess I'm very new to this drag stuff. The M/T's I have on there now are my very first set. I'll probably be getting another set of something this fall. I'm really looking hard at the Hoosiers. I'm heard they hook pretty well.

Thanks again for the tips!
Posted on: 2010/6/21 17:50

dan0617 Re: AFR's, Did I gain anything......
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

It is very safe to do while the car is on the dyno, when you are in a building detonation is VERY loud. On the track you would need to be listening for it.

I don't suggest you do that until you get your air fuel ratios in the 12's for the whole run or dyno pull (so you know you aren't getting detonation from going lean), and then only if you still have knock retard showing up with a fairly conservative timing table. Your knock retard system is an excellent way of finding the limit on timing, assuming you are keeping your fueling in the 12's on the afr gauge.....but.....if you are getting false knock from header/exhaust harmonics, loud valvetrain, etc., then you will need to disconnect the knock retard system and go old school to get the timing dialed in.

If you can't hear detonation at all and you have disabled the knock retard system due to false knock, you can also look at the spark plugs for timing marks, and for black flecks on the porcelain, which is the first sign of detonation on plugs. If you are making runs with no black flecks, keep going up 2 degrees at a time, and adjusting the fueling accordingly to keep it in the mid 12's, till you see them. Then back it down 2 degrees and you should be where you want to be. Make sure you sneak up on timing, especially the timing less than say 3600 rpms as that is where I found I had to pull alot compared to 4800 rpms and on up in order to stay out of detonation.

You are for sure on the right track waiting to datalog to see what is going on before you start pulling timing or adding fuel. I do suggest a wideband 02 if you are going to be tuning anywhere other than a dyno, since the dyno will have a wideband 02 already.

There are a few members on here that are much better at tuning than I, but above is the method I had to use to get my timing and fueling dialed in at WOT. Also, if you get into doing your own tuning, www.thirdgen.org, DIY PROM section, is a huge wealth of knowledge. Search function will turn up an answer to just about any question you have.
Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:06

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.