Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Golfnstuff52 86 Instrument Cluster
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Waiting for winter to come and then going after cluster loss of ground problem as indicated by both signal indicators lit and high beam indicator light on. All gauges work fine, just no illumination. Happened once before and it was loss of ground between the two circuit boards. Already cleaned and tested ground terminal under battery tray to be okay. Guessing same problem as last time or at ground pin in connector to cluster. Welcome any tips.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 20:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

istter1 Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

When I replaced mine an 87 it acted like it had a short. I found a guy that rebuilds and sell them for about $275. He told me that it is usually a worn out power supply that showes the ground problem.. He sends you a rebuilt one and after you send your old one to him he refunds your deposit. The one I have now is over a year old with no problems. If you have overdrive you need to send him the numbers on the back of the cluster to get the correct one. You have to have the correct cluster unit or your overdrive will not work.

Good luck
Steve

scarabexc@aol.com
Posted on: 2011/8/14 20:45

bogus Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There are some 27 grounding points for the C4... The main ones for the dash are in inside the kick panels.

One of our sponsors, K&B Corvette Products, services these types of things. Their link: www.kandbcorvetteproducts.com

Welcome aboard!
Posted on: 2011/8/14 20:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Golfnstuff52 Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Guru Newb
5 Posts

I went the route of having it rebuilt two years ago.(Actually they "usually" trade an already rebuilt one for yours and swap out the odometer.)It worked fine for a year. Everything I've read points to loss of ground. I have good ground at the connector, or I did last time I checked. I'm pretty sure it's the connector between the circuit boards. The most difficult part is removing the cluster and putting it back. Once out its just diagnostic work.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:03

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

You know I have visited their sight and did not know what all they can do for you. For me like my son it is still the cheep junkyard dog in me. Is there anything that they do that could benefit me in the future. I only glanced at their site. Being that they are one of our sponcers can you tell me a little about what they can do for the C4 people?

Steve

Thanks Andy
Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:10

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Hopefully its a simple connection problem on the ground circuit like last time. If I can't figure it out, rebuilt swap out will be my next option as you suggested. My rebuild was a bit more expensive but it was a local Vette shop and they tend to be on the high side but there was no waiting. Gave them mine, they hooked it up verified it to be bad and gave me a replacement after proving to me it was good and swapping out my odometer.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:28

bogus Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
You know I have visited their sight and did not know what all they can do for you. For me like my son it is still the cheep junkyard dog in me. Is there anything that they do that could benefit me in the future. I only glanced at their site. Being that they are one of our sponcers can you tell me a little about what they can do for the C4 people?

Steve

Thanks Andy

Engine controllers, fixing of AC heads and bose systems. Plus access to GM delco new parts like starters and alternators, among other things.

Engine controllers, especially access to get the 1992/93 units serviced is so very important.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Thanks Andy!
You are only ignorant if you are afraid to ask questions. One of the reasons I ask.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/8/14 21:54

Fredbird Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Hey Dad!

Hope you get it fixed...
Posted on: 2011/8/16 18:02

Matatk Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sometimes it's external ground, sometimes it's internal. You can try soldering a new ground wire to see if that helps.

Matthew

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/f ... ash-ground-wire-woes.html

One of the best resources out there:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1999/dec99/dash/dashp1.asp

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1999/dec99/dash/dashp2.asp

(the next page function on the first page doesn't work, so I included the second page as well)
Posted on: 2011/8/17 2:35

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Good article. Since I don't plan on going after it till late Fall, I have plenty of time to read through the info. Thanks.
Posted on: 2011/8/19 1:43

85RedSled Re: 86 Instrument Cluster
Guru
Jacksonville, FL
57 Posts

The ten pin connector between the boards is a weak point. I lost the + side of the lighting circuit so I actually soldered a jumper wire around the connector with a crimp pin and socket coupling to separate the two. You can easily do this to the ground side as well. As I recall, the positive side of the connector is the furthest inboard and the negative is the furthest to the outside. Heres a pic of what I did.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/9/2 21:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.