Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
263 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Collector Edition
RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I read the thread on a Fast 2.0 going in, but I'm using a FAST without timing control, and my OEM harness is still intact.
So here's the issue. I'm not exactly a bigbrain with electronics. I know that when I hook up the Fast system I can lose the injector plugs/wires back to the firewall. The same goes for the IAC, MAF, Throttle Position Switch, and Knock Sensor.
I'll leave the water temp so I get a reading on the dash. Same for the oil pressure and temp.
My plan for the fuel pump is to somehow bypass the OEM computer and use it thru the FAST. I don't think the fuel level goes thru the ECM so I'm thinking it'll be ok.

The best help I remember getting has been thru you guys, so whaddya think? I know I'm gonna need advice here, so thanks in advance.....
Posted on: 2015/12/23 15:06

bogus Re: Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

IIRC, you have an 87, right?

Assuming that...

I think you will be ok. Fuel level is not something the ECM cares about. It is strictly for us humans to measure.

You will lose MPG measures, because the fuel flow will no longer be monitored by the ECM.

Be sure to seal the ends of the wires, so they don't corrode... that could lead to odd behaviour from the ECM and/or failure.

Water temp... there are two sensors, one for the engine, one for the dash. I suspect the one for the engine is the one that will be needed by FAST.

Oil Pressure goes to the dash, not the ECM. There is an oil pressure switch that will keep the engine running if the fuel relay fails. But it will NOT shut down the engine if there is a loss in oil pressure.

that's all I gots for now!
Posted on: 2015/12/23 17:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CorvetteBob Re: Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Andy.
Actually, the car is an '89. The '86 I had for a year or so got sold to make room for the '89.
Ok, so if my '89 is similar to your description of '87, then where do I find each of the sensors? I know only of the water temp sensor in the right side head, and the oil sensor behind the dizzy. Is the other oil sensor down near the filter location?
Posted on: 2015/12/23 22:14

joeld Re: Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

The oil sensor at the filter is for oil temp.
The sensor behind the distributor is for oil pressure at the gage, and for the fuel pump power after the initial first prime. It's a dual function switch.

Joel
Posted on: 2015/12/24 0:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is a coolant sensor on the front of the intake, near the gooseneck.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 1:21

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Thanks Andy for the reminder of that front coolant sensor. Which is which of the two? Any idea? Do they go to just the dash, or the ECM, or one of each? On second thought, if I'm not mistaken, the front water temp sensor probably goes to the ECM, and the simple connector on the head probably goes to the dash?

Joel, do those two oil sensors, one goes to the dash and, presumably, to the ECM. So I guess I'll need to pick up power to send to the fuel pump AFTER the ECM so the fast unit can run it.
I think I need to digest this a while, I might be sounding a bit out of whack on this.
Thanks again for the help to BOTH of you, please keep it coming, and I'll strap on the old thinking cap so I can get it straight.

Quote:

joeld wrote:
The oil sensor at the filter is for oil temp.
The sensor behind the distributor is for oil pressure at the gage, and for the fuel pump power after the initial first prime. It's a dual function switch.

Joel
Posted on: 2015/12/24 2:56

joeld Re: Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I know nothing about the FAST system, can't help on that. This link is a fairly decent description of the fuel pump power source.

Joel

http://forums.superchevy.com/corvette ... system-for-1989-corvette/
Posted on: 2015/12/24 5:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oil data does NOT go to the ECM. It's strictly info for the driver.

Coolant temp is much more accurate in managing engine operation, because it changes more rapidly than oil temp.

And yes, the temp sensor on the front of the manifold is for the ECM, the one on the head is for the display.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 17:20

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

So far, here's where I'm at. (And don't be afraid to correct me on this)
I think I'm gonna leave both oil and water sensors alone. I don't wanna lose any more dash info than I have to. And there's another consideration for this, and that's if the water temp can turn on the cooling fans, and/or if either is needed to work with the heat/ac.

My service engine soon light will always be on unless it's possible to wire it into the FAST unit. Otherwise I'll have to pull that bulb out.

I printed off the article that JoelD gave us a link for. And it IS very informative. But looking at the diagram supplied in that article, I think it's for a 5.0liter F-body. But the article is no less informative and I still thank Joel for the very good link.

I'm still not sure where to power the fuel pump from. I can't find a diagram on FAST's website for my unit (#302000)
but I think the unit will run the pump. Obviously the FAST unit has a set of instructions with it, but if I can run down a set without tearing into the box prematurely, I'd like to do that instead. I just need to figure out where to go into the OEM harness to run the fuel pump without causing any other cans-o-worms to open.

That's all I have for now. Thanks guys.
Posted on: 2015/12/25 23:41

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Well, I spent these last two days out in the cave working on the Vette. Nothing too important, but just some stuff to do since the engine is out.

Andy, you mentioned sealing off the wires. My thoughts were to trace them back and actually remove them from the bulkhead connector, IF that's an advisable option.

Any thoughts on this?
Posted on: 2015/12/27 23:06

hcbph Re: Need to brainstorm the FAST conversion
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
Andy, you mentioned sealing off the wires. My thoughts were to trace them back and actually remove them from the bulkhead connector, IF that's an advisable option.

Any thoughts on this?

Having worked on a truck with a non-original brand engine in it many moons ago, my suggestion is leave the wiring in it for now. Unhook and mark each wire but leave it intact till such time as you get everything worked out. Once it's all good then you can start removing wires if that's your desire. Better to have them around in case it turns out one happens to be required and if you've removed it then it's a lot of extra work to undo it.

My 2 cents.
Posted on: 2015/12/28 12:32

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

That's a pretty good two cents worth!
Posted on: 2015/12/29 2:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.