Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
187 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

sophie upper ball joint
Guru Newb
Findlay, Ohio s of toledo oh
42 Posts

installing new upper ball joint in 84 from corvette central, ? how does assembly go in . I have ball joint ,boot,retainer for boot and a gasket. Where does gasket go in assembly,What order.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 23:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpeedHound RE:upper ball joint
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

the gasket goes under the ball joint flange on top of the control arm. Then you slip the seal up onto the joint from below the control arm after the joint is slipped through the control arm. The retainer goes on last to hold the seal in place. Does that make sense? Good luck
Posted on: 2008/2/4 2:16

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

sophie RE:upper ball joint
Guru Newb
42 Posts

Yes ThankYou.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 13:39

CentralCoaster RE:upper ball joint
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't use their balljoints, they're Chinese garbage. Not worth the time spent installing them IMO.

Return it and buy Spicer or Moog if you haven't already installed it.

That replacement one will probably be worse than the original you removed within a few years.

Also on the install, I had to centerdrill the factory rivets to remove them. Royal pain. On the replacements I installed the bolts pointing upwards because it looked like it would bind with the knuckle if the nut was on the bottom.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 20:42

Guru Newb
42 Posts

Thanks CC this car may see 1000 mi a year at best. I know the value of quality parts , I also don"t plan to sell this car, that being said am I still making a big mistake. How can corvette central and others sell junk and get away w/ it over the long haul. can"t return w/o paying 25% restocking . can always go ebay route. Thank You Craig
Posted on: 2008/2/4 23:01

Guru Newb
42 Posts

Best place to buy Moog parts?
Posted on: 2008/2/5 1:44

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

rockauto has pretty good prices on moog and spicer. I've heard a few bad reports here and there about newer moog stuff, not sure if they're outsourcing or sacrificing QC, but i've heard nothing but bad things about the foreign stuff.

Hard to pin down these reports and get good feedback. Somebody that works in the industry and deals with customers and callbacks would be the best source of this info. You won't find em here though. You'll get "Those are crap, don't get em" from people like me. But regardless of that, mechanical parts aren't a place to save money.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 3:57

Guru Newb
42 Posts

Ordered new upper and lower ball joints from Rock Auto. after receiving them today and inspecting them I can not tell the difference between the Spicers and ones from CC. bolt pkg is same, gasket appears same, joint has same markings,number stamps,USA stamp. I had my wife inspect them ,did not tell her which was Spicer and to look at them like it was jewlery. She picked CC . Where is the difference is it quality of metal because all other appears equal? Spicers cost 30.00 per joint more.I did get instruction sheet w/ Spicers . Craig
Posted on: 2008/2/7 22:54

pappyfreebird RE:upper ball joint
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

just a foos observation on harley parts....ive seen the same thing as you say...only buy origanal hog parts etc (no offense case)jmo ...but then i have some other same yet lower priced parts (kicker gears starter drives etc) and besides cost the packages are same parts look n feel n seem to wiegh the same (i r no metals expert) but seem same to me...my point is! i think mo n mo of our good stuff is being imported every day period...ps both harley parts are nawt made by harley any more...so why pay them there cut...ok different topic so i shut up n go ta my corner n observe
Posted on: 2008/2/8 14:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Someone else posted on this that the wholesale cost of the moogs was more than the retail price of the pieces sold by the catalogs.

Those guys have a higher markup. If it's in fact the same part, they're taking a loss. Have you tried calling CC and asking who manufactures theirs?
Posted on: 2008/2/10 11:01

Guru Newb
42 Posts

Called CC they didn"t whant to discuss manuf said someone in Tenn.And thats in the USA. Craig
Posted on: 2008/2/10 13:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.