Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
267 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Quart lost 3rd and 4th gear
Guru Newb
1 Posts

My 95 C4 lost suddenly it's third and fourth gear. It shifts normal in the first two gears, but there is no performance in the third. The car has run only 20.000 miles so I don't expect a mechanical defect.
I received an H72 error in modul 4, but it seems to be an older DTC. 72 means the Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) has a problem, but the linked cruisecontrol works, I've tested this.
Oil is enough and the color seems to be alright, even it smells a bit burned, but my workshop told me it smells only "old". Nevertheless they want to rebuild the gear box because of a mechanical defect. I think this is a bit to early to state this with this H72 DTC, but they don't know how to solve this problem. What can I do?
Posted on: 2006/7/26 11:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:lost 3rd and 4th gear
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there are full scale electronic tests that can be performed on the transmission, but I am not well versed enough to tell you exactly how they will help.

I am afraid the transmission is dead... from what I have read on the 4L60E, when it does something like this, it is DOA.

I will ask a friend... maybe he can post an answer for you... he knows a lot more about this than I do.
Posted on: 2006/7/26 16:59

PeteK RE:lost 3rd and 4th gear
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I must. The 700r4 and the electronic versions have a weak 3-4 clutch pack. The typical way that they die of old age is exactly what happened to you. When you rebuild it, use a shop that will work with you. The aftermarket has stepped up to the plate and offers many h/d upgrade kits specificly for the 3-4 clutch pack. Some shops will only build them per the gm shop manual though. Because the fluid smells burnt, and the symptoms are typical of the failure I described, I am somewhat confident I am correct. You can have the car scanned in case the problem is solenoid related. The scanner can tell the input shaft vs output shaft rpm (to monitor slippage of the clutches and the torque converter). Get some opinions before writing a $2000 check though. Good luck!
Posted on: 2006/7/26 18:30

bogus RE:lost 3rd and 4th gear
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Pete said what I thought he was going to say, but I don't have the experience he does to say it.

The man knows these transmissions... sorry for the bad news.
Posted on: 2006/7/26 21:02

brut RE:lost 3rd and 4th gear
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I agree with Pete too. My 700r4 went out a couple years ago. I fought the notion of paying someone to rebuild it or do it myself and learn. I bought the technical video, some manuals and studied them. I finally decided to tear into it, but some Hi-Po parts in including a Trans-go shift kit, and it has been running great ever since.

I hope you get it worked out. If you take it somewhere, take to someone you can trust or atleast get a second opinion. When they hear Corvette most shops will think big $$$$ right off the bat!
Posted on: 2006/7/26 21:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.