Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (265 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 199...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

jhammons01 RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I love you Coaster!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/26 20:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
jsup, one would have to go to school for while to understand Fluid Dynamics. Flow, Conductance etc.

I went to School for that, I got a degree in Physics AND I almost have earned the title of Physicist in Vacuum Technology.

I would have to spend a few hours calculating out the conductance on all of the Engines internal parts to say if this head or that head is better. The smallest or lowest orifice will dictate the CFM for the rest of the entire system....and that is a law of physics one cannot argue.

Secondly, anyone wonder whats the use of a Plenum? Why different sizes would make any difference at all? Fluid Dynamics are a very fascinating thing when dealing in Vacuum and Flow.

I'm with you, There are a Ton of different ways one can get to a reasonable solution.

Well, one thing is for sure, you're smarter than me.

Since most of us, myself included, don't have the skill to figure all that out, we can rely on good ol' common sense.

I'm just saying a lot of guys will do mods with these high performance parts without changing out the other important stuff with like high performance parts and wind up with a pig.

Better to have a matched not so high performance setup, than a mis matched high performance setup.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 4:07

klkordzi RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

So while everyone iss talking about heads, what do people think about modified Vortec heads from Scoggins Dickey? This would go on an L98 that would be primarily street driven.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 2:20

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
So while everyone iss talking about heads, what do people think about modified Vortec heads from Scoggins Dickey? This would go on an L98 that would be primarily street driven.

Just buy AFR and make everyone happy.

Just kidding, do your homework on what you want.\\

Start a thread you'll get some good responses.

Remember to mention your goals, budget, ect.....
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:02

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Ya know, I can't believe the abuse I'm getting on other forums beucase I suggest that there may be heads out there that can do the job, save you a few bucks, but happen not to be AFR.....

I asked "WTF is with you guys is this some kind of AFR religion or something"...

I'm glad this place exists, where the grown ups are at....
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:05

biggrizzly RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

JSUP,

Believe me I understand. I think that all the armchair mechanics read one little bit of information and don't really know anything else. So... to them that is gospel!
The whole online phenomena kills me sometimes. People have a hard time being original.
I want to applaud you for actually trying to help that kid. If it weren't for you he would have left that thread thinking he needed another 20K to finish his car. Sad!! I know these things can be done on the cheap. Even thought I paid top $$ for my heads, I have still done a pretty good job of keeping costs low.

Cheers
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:44

bogus RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

The Vortec heads can make respectable power, my only problem with them is that they are iron... that and you need a different intake base.

If it was my $$, there are other aluminum heads out there that will work quite well without the added weight of iron.

Brodex, Edelbrock, trick flow, and yes, AFR... just to name a few.

Do some surfing through the Summit Racing website.
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:45

TimAT RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Guru Newb
Gladstone, MO (Kansas City)
38 Posts

If I came across a C4 with a blown engine for 2200 bux, I'd be grinnin' like a possum eatin' peaches. I've got sweet little 450hp 350 that needs a new home. I built it years ago- had it in a Camaro and used to kick the crap out of BB Chevelles and 455 Trans-Ams. Camaro rusted away, still got the engine.
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:46

bogus RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
If I came across a C4 with a blown engine for 2200 bux, I'd be grinnin' like a possum eatin' peaches. I've got sweet little 450hp 350 that needs a new home. I built it years ago- had it in a Camaro and used to kick the crap out of BB Chevelles and 455 Trans-Ams. Camaro rusted away, still got the engine.

Metal cars will do that...
Posted on: 2008/3/2 5:47

biggrizzly RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I don't want to hijack JSUP's thread but ... Bogus already did :tongue:
Just for grins - take a look at the last page of this newsletter file.
We have some members' cars on there for sale. This guy has a low mileage C4 for sale $5K with some front end damage.

[web]http://www.corvetteclubofamerica.org/newsletters/2008/March2008Pages8-13.pdf[/web]
Posted on: 2008/3/2 6:05

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
JSUP,

Believe me I understand. I think that all the armchair mechanics read one little bit of information and don't really know anything else. So... to them that is gospel!
The whole online phenomena kills me sometimes. People have a hard time being original.
I want to applaud you for actually trying to help that kid. If it weren't for you he would have left that thread thinking he needed another 20K to finish his car. Sad!! I know these things can be done on the cheap. Even thought I paid top $$ for my heads, I have still done a pretty good job of keeping costs low.

Cheers

Well, now it's just sport. I'll keep poking the cats with a stick and see if I get a real answer out of any of them.

I asked for conclusive proof. Give me a side by side dyno that demonstrates AFRs are worth the money. No takers yet. I'll just keep asking and they'll keep telling me about FLOW.

What they don't anticipate, is that I'm stubborn. I will win on duration alone!
Posted on: 2008/3/2 6:05

dan0617 RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I told you, take your stick and poke up ol'RJ. He found that Dart's (I think it was dart's) work better than AFR's on his build.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 2:12

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Who's RJ?
Posted on: 2008/3/3 2:16

dan0617 RE:Can I rant for a moment.......
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

ol'RJ is his username on Corvette Forum. He is the guy who welded my HSR plenum together. When I told him I'm running reworked 113 heads but originally wanted AFR's, he told me how AFR's were not the best heads for his combo. He said something about not alot of room to port them and match them and that he went with Dart's and ended up with more power. It's been a while but if you are looking for someone who has a comparison on AFR's to other heads maybe you could pm him. I think it was his car he was talking about, although he may have other instances as he works on other vettes too. He also welded LD85's plenum.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 20:51

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.