Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

jk85vette 85 MAF ?
Guru Newb
2 Posts

85 Vette, I have read some of the Service Bulletins and was wondering if I change the MAF (with one for Mid-America) do I need to upgrade the e-prom on the computer? Problem with idle after 50-60 miles. Missing and not sustaining proper idle. Thought it was the MAF since I could bump it and get it to mess up. Installed the new one and engine would spit and sputter when I throttled it. Also have another possible problem: dash and interior lights pulse ever so slightly when idling. Thanks for any assitance.
Posted on: 2008/2/28 23:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JrRifleCoach RE:85 MAF ?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Should be two unrelated items. Although....... :shaking: never mind

Disconnect the MAF and take 'er for a ride. How does it run? Idle, part & full throttle.

dump the codes, connect the MAF and take another ride.

Compare results. How old is the burn off relay? I think you can swap the BO and FP relays on an 85. (yes for my 86) It takes ten cycles for MAF to go into burn off mode I believe.

Now changing types of MAFs will not increase performance. So if your motor is stock just stick to a stock part. THis should be a no brainer...

Flickering lights.....check the voltage with a VOM and see where the voltage is at 1500 RPM and at idle. SHould be .5v above battert at a minimum.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 0:27

rayquayle RE:85 MAF ?
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:
How old is the burn off relay?

Not on an '85! '85 is only year to use the Burn-Off Module behind the dash to control MAF, so no MAF Relays on the '85.
Posted on: 2008/2/29 7:12
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

jk85vette RE:85 MAF ?
Guru Newb
2 Posts

This vehicle is original with only 8,900 miles. It has been garaged and driven about 300 miles annually after the first couple of years.

Burn Off relay is original, but i have checked it @ the GM shop manual and it appears to working properly (maintains 12 volts for approx. 5 seconds after ignition is turned off.

When MAF was disconnected the vehicle wouldn't rev above 2200 rpms without cutting out. Unable to drive.
Put new MAF on and cleared codes, I have been pulling 12 connector located close to battery for the code reset. I also cycled the ign. off/on about 10 times.

Drove vehicle and everything appeared to work properly. Only drove a couple of miles. I need to drive it and get it hot to ensure this fixed the problem.

Battery voltage is 12.30 , idling 680 rpm = 14.80 volts, 1500rpm = 14.75 volt.
It appears that if I load the vehicle & the rpm goes below 630 rpms it will flicker the lights. This may be normal. RPM at idle warm is 680 rpms.

I will update my progress. Thanks for your replies.
Posted on: 2008/2/29 17:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.