Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
213 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird 4+3 tranny
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

how much oil do the auto overdrive tranny hold????

only squeezed in 1.5-2qts...shy of 2 qts in fact...book only sez fill to top hole...just like 4spd...so today thanks to cc n alot of you cats i used nephews lift and changed out motor n tranny fluids...all went well..auto tranny noice red color(happy to see)looked new...filter noice clean too magnet too...4spd had red cheeyut in that too..smelt like 90 wt but red...4spd now has 80-90 weight n i think shifts better (sometimes that thin stuff ain good fer gears) jmho... anyways thanks rednecks great site...hadda freak earlier n pm coaster fer jack spots n he was fast in response thanks (fer tech it was behind front wheels n in front of rear wheels) last thing... i thought i read 2-2 1/4 qts in the overdrive ..again shy of 2 in mine.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 1:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 4+3 tranny
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Great!

Sounds like some moron put automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in the 4spd.

As an aside, the T56 uses ATF!!!! And according to ZF, you can use AFT in the ZF 6-spd. Would I? NOT ON A BET.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 1:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: 4+3 tranny
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Gear oil stands out because of it's nasty smell.

Also, 90w gear oil is about the same thickness as ATF or 30W motor oil, it's rated on a different scale.

Put it in neutral then rotate the rear wheels a few times by hand, then pump the rest of the ATF in the OD. I think it takes about 2 qts.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 7:36

pappyfreebird Re: 4+3 tranny
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

awrighty cc.. i musta did it right...still figure shy of 2 qts...but to be safe i rotated wheels..(yeup the rear ones!) n checked it n acutally some poured out...so i lowerd car n started it n let spin in gear dint try n engage od ...but raised again n got a lil more in...acording to haynes fillto top hole ...i should be fine...but all the hype on this unit has me spooky...with what i dribbled n what came back out (hard to judge) but i figure jus shy of 2qts in there...thats why question fer exact amount...with that lil pan they cant hold much ...n hey thanks fer the fast response on the lift spots...mellowed me bigtime..n liftun her was peice a cake...windsheild washer n radiator flush is next i wanna doos...washer seems to werk when wants...well its werked twice at random times n has fluid... i jam some air thru it one day when warm nuff to git her out again..unless course you cats have some mo good tips to chase

ps also need ta say thanks bog...i jus spent n hour reading...n had i read what ya gave me better sooner ida saved you cats some asprins....and lastly i contacted bayer co. bout buyin some stock..and they told me ifn i join more computer sites theyed jus pay me a percent of the new sales growth!!! so howzat fer doin it right yous guys yontsum ? wahahahaha
Posted on: 2008/3/30 16:06
Edited by pappyfreebird on 2008/3/30 17:40:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.