Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
183 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Cars in the shop(nothing technical)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Yup. just dropped it off. Having the neons taken off( they are all busted up) and they are going to backtrace the wiring to figure out how they are connected to the ABS. I'm interested in what they will find.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 18:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Cars in the shop(nothing technical)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will be curious if they find anything.

My guess? The transformer is grounded to the same point as the ABS computer. It's the only thing that makes sense, really.

I remember when I had my 1981 Toyota Celica, the owners manual warned about using FM transcievers with cruise control enabled. I didn't have either, but I thought the warning was interesting. It meant that the transcievers interfered with the cruise control brain. Poor, really, but not uncommon back in those days.

FM transcievers are 2-way radios, much like old school police radios or even radio systems used by companies to communicate with their peeps. These radios used to require FCC licensing and such. They had a 20 mile range. Cell phones and FRS have replaced them.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 19:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Cars in the shop(nothing technical)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

If anyone can figure it out, they can. They fixed my radio issues. They are installing LEDs while it's their. =) Wire was rubbing the firewall=interference in the radio= picking up the sound...

I was reading awhile back about a new car, it might have been streetglows forum, that would not work with radio equipment around it...something to do with the electronics on it...interesting
Posted on: 2008/5/26 19:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's not indigenous to the car, I will say that.

modern automakers take their test cars to some of the electrically noisiest places to test just those problems. They will park a car under large volumes of high tension electrical lines to make sure that everything works as it is supposed to. They will park next to a radio transmission and cell phone towers. they will park next to microwave relay stations, besides power plants and substations. Oh, they will also park next to cable TV receiving stations (many antennas receiving different signals and satellite signals).

In short, if that car has a problem with streetglows, it's because someone screwed up the install or there is another problem with that car that the lights have exposed. Meaning, something has failed. I would bet money you install the same light kit in the exact same car and nothing would be bothered.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 19:30

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

modern automakers take their test cars to some of the electrically noisiest places to test just those problems. They will park a car under large volumes of high tension electrical lines to make sure that everything works as it is supposed to. They will park next to a radio transmission and cell phone towers. they will park next to microwave relay stations, besides power plants and substations. Oh, they will also park next to cable TV receiving stations (many antennas receiving different signals and satellite signals).

In short, if that car has a problem with streetglows, it's because someone screwed up the install or there is another problem with that car that the lights have exposed. Meaning, something has failed. I would bet money you install the same light kit in the exact same car and nothing would be bothered.

Lay down 100 dollars and we got a deal! =)
Posted on: 2008/5/26 19:36

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Actually, just got it back and it was NOT the transformer after all. They had hooked up the power source to the BRAKE RELAY(WHAT THE HELL!?!). The guy could not figure out why they would do that. He took all their wiring off, installed the new ones and hooked it up to the ignition system so when the key is out, they automatically shut off(prevent battery drainage). So I am happy that is over with. Much cleaner install. Brakes work good. Lights are bright. And 100 dollars cheaper than the old shop who screwed it up. They charged 200, this place only charged 100. =)
Posted on: 2008/5/26 21:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Lay down 100 dollars and we got a deal! =)

http://www.streetglow.com/site/undercarkit.anl100.php

No transformer involved either. It's much tougher as well. The transformer was needed for the gas in the neons. This is straight up lights! If the tube breaks, they still glow, neons cracked=no gas=no light=lost money!

I reiterate, someone screwed the installation.

those LEDs should not effect the operation of anything.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 22:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Actually, just got it back and it was NOT the transformer after all. They had hooked up the power source to the BRAKE RELAY(WHAT THE HELL!?!). The guy could not figure out why they would do that. He took all their wiring off, installed the new ones and hooked it up to the ignition system so when the key is out, they automatically shut off(prevent battery drainage). So I am happy that is over with. Much cleaner install. Brakes work good. Lights are bright. And 100 dollars cheaper than the old shop who screwed it up. They charged 200, this place only charged 100. =)

sounds like you have finally found a competent electrical shop.

Why they would wire into the brake circuit is beyond me.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 22:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.