Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
254 user(s) are online (218 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Jim L98 Rebuild Help
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Last year I began an upgrade to my 88 GTA and then was hospitalized for a number of months. I'm trying to reassemble the motor and having some problems. Hopefully I can get some tech help here.

I replaced the stock cam with a ZZ4, replaced the stock rockers with 1.6 ratio rollers, replaced the stock injectors with 23 lb/hr bosch, added some Hooker headers, blocked the EGR and removed the AIR pump. At this point I've replaced the heads and the intake manifold/runners (not the plenum) and the front end (except the alternator and serpentine). Now I have to figure out which (if any) sensors and solenoids are no longer needed, which wires to cut, how to replace & reconfigure my vacuum hoses (other hoses?) and what to do with my PROM (I've been using a hypertech with a 160deg theromostat).

Ideas, suggestions, advice, comments ?????

:thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/2/25 17:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:L98 Rebuild Help
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Sorry to hear about your illness, glad to hear you are back in action!

Even tho it's not a Vette, a few thoughts on your project:

1) The EGR is NOT your enemy. I find that most folks who remove it don't know what it does. It does one thing, and does it well, that effect two results. It feeds a small amount of exhaust gas into the intake. The results are two fold, one, the reduction of NOx emissions and the other, a reduction in combustion temperatures, which results in less chance of detonation. For specifics, you really need to get the Helm Factory Service Manual for the year of your TA. It will have the harness diagrams you need, both wiring and vacuum.

2) As long as you are using EFI, 95% of the sensors will stay. About the only two things that can go are the pre-cats (done, thanks to the headers, thats even if the Fbody had them) and the vapour recovery. EFI sensors have been confused with being an emissions control device, but the reality is that EFI is an EFFICIENCY DEVICE. It needs the O2, knock, MAF (or MAP, or both, depending on vintage) and temp sensors so it can calculate the most efficient charge it can deliver. Otherwise, you have a carburetter.

3) A couple of thoughts regarding the exhaust system. I am a fan of high flow cats. They do a couple of things, one being is apply a touch of back pressure that helps savaging, takes some of the boom off the headers, removes that uncontrolled combustion smell (fine at the track, annoying on the street) and as a result, keeps the air clean. Win-win-win in my book. The rest of the Fbody's exhaust is a mess... the chassis sucks for fitment, check with SLP for some options.

4) The ECU is not going to be easy. You will need a dyno to do it right, but really, I don't think you have done enough to require it. It's not like you raised compression or made a 383 out of it. The changes have been minor. I would recommend an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, it will help you tune the fuel flow to the injectors better. You may want to investigate some of the laptop based systems that work through the printer port. They are pretty cool, but I can't remember brand names off hand. The mid-80s ECUs are rather crude and are not heavily supported anymore.

A couple of websites for you:

1) www.corvetteplenum.com - he machines the stock TPI plenum to improve breathing.

2) www.thirdgen.org - specializes in your vintage F-bodies.
Posted on: 2007/2/25 20:25

Jim RE:L98 Rebuild Help
Guru Newb
2 Posts

[quote="bogus"]Sorry to hear about your illness, glad to hear you are back in action!

Even tho it's not a Vette, a few thoughts on your project:

1) The EGR is NOT your enemy. I find that most folks who remove it don't know what it does. It does one thing, and does it well, that effect two results. It feeds a small amount of exhaust gas into the intake. The results are two fold, one, the reduction of NOx emissions and the other, a reduction in combustion temperatures, which results in less chance of detonation. For specifics, you really need to get the Helm Factory Service Manual for the year of your TA. It will have the harness diagrams you need, both wiring and vacuum.

Thanks for the help!!! I wasn't even aware of the Helms Service Manual ... was trying to use Clymer and Haynes and Chilton (I think all three are pretty crappy when it comes to details and specifics). I found a Service Manual on ebay and have it coming. I'm sure glad I came to this forum with my problem! :thumbleft: :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/2/27 5:24

bogus RE:L98 Rebuild Help
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

cool!

If you need us, you know where we are.
Posted on: 2007/2/27 6:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.