Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Wheelchair on plane explodes on landing
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Wheelchair on plane explodes on landing

http://www.gadling.com/2008/09/24/whe ... 839x1210039078x1200580509

Quote:
Wheelchair on plane explodes on landingby Abha Malpani Sep 24th 2008 @ 11:00AM

Having the battery of an electronic item you take on board a flight, short-circuit and then burst into flames, doesn't even come to your mind when you think about plane accidents.

Earlier this month, a wheelchair stored in the hold of a Boeing 727-200 First Choice flight carrying 229 passengers, let out blue sparks while being offloaded from the plane. The minute it was placed on a vehicle to be transported at Manchester Airport, it caught fire and exploded. Luckily, no one was injured. Thank goodness it didn't happen on the plane. A similar incident happened in February last year, where a fire started aboard a plane because a camera battery short-circuited while in the overhead compartment.

The articles about this incident talk about passengers needing to be more vigilant when taking items on board. True, but I also think it's the ground staff's responsibility to fiercely spread awareness of things like this, and make their check-in and boarding procedures more stringent. Although the exact cause of the accident has not yet been found, assuming it was a short-circuit, it could have been avoided by making sure the battery was fixed properly and that there was no way for it to switch on automatically while in storage.

Talking about seemingly innocuous items causing serious damage on an aircrafts, you can't help but think of mobile phones. Although told a million times, I still know people who do not switch their phones off on a flight, even if they don't use them. They forget, or don't realize the importance of doing so. I haven't heard of any planes crashing or catching fire due to a mobile phone, but if it can happen with a camera and a wheelchair, I imagine that things can happen with a mobile phone.

How can airlines be stricter? Perhaps when baggage is being screened, they should ask passengers to remove batteries from all electronic devices. But then you can't be assured that the passenger won't put the battery right back in. Other than spreading awareness through publicity, what's the solution? Rely on the passenger's consciousness?
Posted on: 2008/9/25 21:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: Wheelchair on plane explodes on landing
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

One of my other passions is photography and a couple years ago Nikon recalled thousands if not millions of lithium ion batteries because many had exploded and actually blew up peoples cameras and caused fires. Its pretty amazing how much damage one of those batteries is capable of.
Posted on: 2008/9/25 21:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Wheelchair on plane explodes on landing
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Having the phone turned on doesn't necessarily prevent the battery from exploding.

The point of turning off phones during flight is to help prevent static and intereference on the pilot's radio systems.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 0:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.