Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
193 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

smack123 Seeking Suggestions - Hard start after 9 months
Guru Newb
Moving to BC
20 Posts

Hey guys,

So my 96 LT4 has been in storage for the past 9 months in Edmonton as my wife and I moved to Montreal so I could complete a Masters Degree. I have 3 months left in my program, but we are putting our post-Montreal plan of action into effect now. We are planning to move out to Vancouver Island (BC) in August, but we have need to make a quick trip to the west coast later this week. I am taking advantage of the fact that we are making the trip to move the vette out to the coast now - where it will stay in storage for another 3 months at my Dad's place next to his 93 ruby vert (w/ 5500 miles).

My QUESTION is with regard to a hard start after 9 months of no activity. I had the woman we are curerently storing the car with (family friend) go out to the garage last night and lift the car cover and open the car door to see if the battery still had juice - interior lights came on, which is a good sign (I have it on a battery tender but you just never know).

I read at one time there was a method by which I could disable the starter.... I think?, which would allow me to turn the key to on and create oil pressure with turning it over and creating a hard start on engine that has been dry for 9 months. Am I correct here, and if so what is the procedure.... I will have limited tools, etc. with me as we are of course flying to Edmonton, but I can certainly take a few things. In addition, after allowing the car appropriate time to warm up (allow all fluids to reach operating temp.) we will be proceeding immediately on a 200 mile trip to Calgary, followed by a 600 mile trip out to the west coast the following day

So, any other suggestions on how to mitigate impact on a hard start and an immediate long-distance trip after 9 months of inactivity would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/smack123/96Vette210.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/5/5 18:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

toptechx6 Re: Seeking Suggestions - Hard start after 9 months
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

The correct procedure would have been to to prepare the car for extended storage by changing the oil, testing the coolant protection, adding fuel stabilizer, fogging the engine through the intake BEFORE storing it. I will give you one point for the battery tender.
You might as well start it normally at this point, and bring it to operating temperature, add some fresh fuel as soon as you have room in the tank, changing the fuel filter might be a good idea too. Any damage has already been done by failing to prepare it properly, but many have survived worse, best of luck.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 19:00

smack123 Re: Seeking Suggestions - Hard start after 9 months
Guru Newb
Moving to BC
20 Posts

Perhaps you should go back and read my post again - I didn't ask for suggestions on what to do when preparing for storage. All you have done is make yourself look like the grand hero, and me the idiot for pointing out things you are ASSUMING I didn't do. In fact I did ALL of those things except for fogging the intake before putting the car in storage, I didn't feel it was necessary to list everything I had done last August given the nature of my question. I live in CANADA - do you think I'm an idiot and wouldn't check my coolant protection? Right.

My question was with regard to a procedure for creating oil pressure in the engine before firing it up.

I will give you one point for stroking your own ego.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 19:24

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

smack123 wrote:
Perhaps you should go back and read my post again - I didn't ask for suggestions on what to do when preparing for storage. All you have done is make yourself look like the grand hero, and me the idiot for pointing out things you are ASSUMING I didn't do. In fact I did ALL of those things except for fogging the intake before putting the car in storage, I didn't feel it was necessary to list everything I had done last August given the nature of my question. I live in CANADA - do you think I'm an idiot and wouldn't check my coolant protection? Right.

My question was with regard to a procedure for creating oil pressure in the engine before firing it up.

I will give you one point for stroking your own ego.

In that case you seem to have it under control, my apology for the assumptions. Good luck creating oil pressure after disconnecting the starter. Unless they taught you how while you were earning that Masters degree you will need to remove the intake manifold on your LT4 if you want to spin the oil pump without the starter.
Posted on: 2008/5/5 20:07

Guru Newb
Moving to BC
20 Posts

Thanks - Nope, I don't think a degree in Architecture is going to make any difference on this one. Definitely don't want to get into removing the manifold at this point.

Are you suggesting that the oil pressure is not something I should be overly concerned about under the circumstances? Thanks
Posted on: 2008/5/5 20:16

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

smack123 wrote:
Thanks - Nope, I don't think my degree in Architecture is going to make any difference on this one. :lol: Definitely don't want to get into removing the manifold at this point.

Are you suggesting that this is not something I should be overly concerned about under the circumstances? Thanks :thumbs:

First of all let me apologize for my smartass response, I really was trying to help initially but see how you you could take it as a put down or ego stroke, not my intent honest.
I'm guessing what you wanted to say is you want to spin the engine with the starter to build oil pressure without allowing it to start. You can do that by disabling the ignition or removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine until you see pressure on the gauge. Personally I question the value since you have done the proper storage preparation. I stored boats in the northeast for years and never felt building oil pressure was required, no engines lost!
If you choose to do so, make sure the battery is fully charged to prevent starter overheating from low voltage.
A sincere good luck firing up your baby, and again I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 20:27

Guru Newb
Moving to BC
20 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
First of all let me apologize for my smartass response, I really was trying to help initially but see how you you could take it as a put down or ego stroke, not my intent honest.
I'm guessing what you wanted to say is you want to spin the engine with the starter to build oil pressure without allowing it to start. You can do that by disabling the ignition or removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine until you see pressure on the gauge. Personally I question the value since you have done the proper storage preparation. I stored boats in the northeast for years and never felt building oil pressure was required, no engines lost!
If you choose to do so, make sure the battery is fully charged to prevent starter overheating from low voltage.
A sincere good luck firing up your baby, and again I apologize for any misunderstanding.

toptechx6:

Thanks for your response - and I apologize as well for my unnecessary knee jerk intial response.

Ahh yes, disabling the ignition would of course make much more sense than disabling the starter!

I appreciate your comments as well about your previous experience and ensuring the battery is fully charged if I do go ahead and try that, although given your comments perhaps I will go ahead and turn it over as-is and just let it warm up to operating temps.

Cheers
Posted on: 2008/5/5 20:40

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

An easy way to disable ignition would be to disconnect the coil located on the front of the right cylinder head. You won't hurt anything by doing this and cranking until you get oil pressure, just not sure it is necessary.
Best wishes for a safe trip and a bright future with that Masters degree in Architecture, don't forget to wave!
Posted on: 2008/5/5 20:59

FLYINLOW90 Re: Seeking Suggestions - Hard start after 9 months
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

I read this whole post and have to hand it to you guys

At the other place this would probably turned into a locked post with a few members pissed off at each other.

You guys handled this exceptionally well

Some good information along with the OP getting the answers he needed.

That's why I love this place

Gary

BTW...Good Luck to the OP with your Masters and on your trip to B.C.
Also....I'll be in Edmonton this weekend as I have to deliver to Imperial Oil just a stones throw from Sherwood Park. I'll be lookin' for ya!!
Posted on: 2008/5/6 11:23
Edited by FLYINLOW90 on 2008/5/6 12:16:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.