Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z16
Also known as the Grand Sport.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, fr...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

sophie 84 rear sway bar link bushings
Guru Newb
Findlay, Ohio s of toledo oh
42 Posts

trying to replace orig center link bushings w/ poly, purchased set from cc will not fit. center metal shaft 1/16" shorter, outside dia. bigger. are there tricks or is it parts I selected, does the orig metal sleve remain Thanks for any help. Craig
Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:84 rear sway bar link bushings
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Hey, Sophie,

Great project... no immediate answer, tho... CentralCoaster is the man to talk to about this, he did this project on his 85 and I know he ran into similar issues you are describing. I just don't remember his solution.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:37

CentralCoaster RE:84 rear sway bar link bushings
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here's a summary of my PMs with him for posterity...

You have to remove the outer aluminum sleeves. There's no other way, in my experience. Side by side, the bushing OD looks the same size as the sway bar hole. You have to push the bushing in there first then slide the inner sleeve in last.
The instructions say the rears go in with NO outer sleeve. Fronts are supposed to reuse the sleeve.

I have a spare set from Energy suspension for the rear sway bar end links, part #4904 stamped on the bushings, fits 63-92 vettes, let me know if you need em.

Also if you ever do the rear axle housing (batwing) bushings, the sleeves on that have to come out too.

Let me know if you do the rear control arms or the upper fronts, there's a few tricks to doing those right.
Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:55

klkordzi RE:84 rear sway bar link bushings
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I replaced all the bushings on my 85 with poly and the biggest PITA were the sway bar end link bushings. There was a pronounced lip on the bushings for the end links and no matter what I tried I could not get the bushings in. I ended up using a belt sander to bevel this lip and they slipped right in. Then I pressed in the metal shaft. The sway bar bushing from my recollection was not that bad to get in. I used a press and do remember doing the bushing first and then the metal shaft
Posted on: 2008/1/15 23:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.