Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
285 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Moe_Vette struggling fan bit the biscuit !
Guru Newb
33 Posts

Dear all

The heating/air con fan in me 92 (which has struggled for a while) has now completely died - which sucks becuase my windshield gets pretty foggy this time of year in the UK. I intend to check over the fuses but imagine the fan itself may be cooked (it has made fan noise when set to anything over 3 since I got the car a few years back) - would any of you kind folks know the part number/name for this fan so I can try to source one on the net - amny thanks

PS - when I turn the heat on I hear a small click and heat does come out but not fan powered (so heat is working) but there is not life from the fan - could this be a fuse or something?

cheers!
Posted on: 2010/11/25 14:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: struggling fan bit the biscuit !
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hey, Moe, would it just be easier for me to send you one?

They would more then likely be a shit load cheaper....

I do not know if that fan was used in Vauxhall's or not. If it was, the GM part would be the same...

As for the fan... it could be the resister. On the top of the airbox, there is this thing with 6 wires going into it. That controls the speed of the fan by applying resistance. To test this, set the climate controls to manual and turn up the fan to max. If the fan works again, then it is the resister.

The part numbers are: 5426608 for the fan; 16086891 for the resister.
Posted on: 2010/11/25 18:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Moe_Vette Re: struggling fan bit the biscuit !
Guru Newb
33 Posts

Dear Bogus - thanks for your reply - even when I manually adjust the fan settings there is still no life - so imagine that means the resiter is OK but the fan is pooched!

Thanks for the fan part numbers m8 - save me worrying about getting the right one - you had kindly offered to ship me one - how much would that be pal - I will sort the shipping unless you have terms in place with fedex etc

thanks mate - may take you up on your kind offer

kev
Posted on: 2010/11/26 14:12

Guru Newb
33 Posts

bogus - will a "1989 Corvette ac/heater blower motor with fan" do the job - can see them on ebay and stuff for 10-30 bucks - will this fit a 92 no problem?

Thanks mate
Posted on: 2010/11/26 14:40

rayquayle Re: struggling fan bit the biscuit !
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Moe, Where are you located?
Posted on: 2010/11/26 17:00
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Guru Newb
33 Posts

Hi Ray Quayle in England

Im in Milton Keynes - had a bit of luck this afternoon - I sourced a replacement "CHEVROLET CORVETTE C4 HEATER BLOWER MOTOR" for 30 quid (and is a 92 same as mine so happy with that). Looks pretty straight forward to swap - think its a do at home project?

Will let you all know if this solves me fan problem

thanks
Posted on: 2010/11/26 18:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Oh, yes! That is a quick swap. Half dozen bolts (7 or 8mm, don't remember off hand - 9/32" for us here in the states!), a wire connector and the vent tube. Some of the bolts are hard to reach, I will say that, but I expect this to take no more than 1 hour, start to test. I would consider testing the motor first, before doing all the work.

Removing the squarrel cage can be the hardest part. The shaft rusts, making it a bit tough to remove. I find a skim of anti-seize is helpful on reinstall. There is an e-clip (if I remember rightly) that retains the fan to the motor.

30 quid sounds pretty good... that's about $40, no bad at all.
Posted on: 2010/11/26 19:21

rayquayle Re: struggling fan bit the biscuit !
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:
30 quid sounds pretty good... that's about $40, no bad at all.

Andy, I wish it was $40. At today's rate it's $46.81, but I can't buy Pounds at that rate. If I were to buy Pounds on base today, I'd end up paying $1.61 or $48.30 for that £30. No wonder I'm always broke!

Moe, I'm sorry I can't get over to help you. MK is a bit of a ride for me. I live in North Yorkshire. I work Wednesday through Saturday near Huntingdon though. Not too far away. Let me know how you make out.
Posted on: 2010/11/26 21:50
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ouch! I thought it was closer to 1:1.50 ratio... loose track of these things when it isn't as important.
Posted on: 2010/11/27 0:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.