Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
329 user(s) are online (257 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

fox_guy48 Brake Booster
Guru
Katterbach Germany
78 Posts

Got in the car today to go to work and i get out of the parking lot and i had to stop on the brakes to get it stopped really hard pedal. im thinking great whats wrong now. sat night i was playing around with it on the street off post and spun out around the corner and had to slam on the brakes. backed up and went my merry on way no problem. then i have this problem on monday I got looking around and there is a crack in the top of the brake booster coming from the hose all the way to the back of the front portion of the booster. this looks like its two pieces. a front and a back. here is my questions can i just replace the front half of the booster or do i have to replace the whole thing? and would a panic stop like i did cause that to break like that? Thanks Dan
Posted on: 2011/6/27 16:34

fox_guy48 Re: Brake Booster
Guru
Katterbach Germany
78 Posts

BTW when I step on the brake there is a vacuum leak from the crack in the front part of the booster. having manual brakes not fun.
Posted on: 2011/6/27 16:51

BillH Re: Brake Booster
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

fox_guy48 wrote:
Got in the car today to go to work and i get out of the parking lot and i had to stop on the brakes to get it stopped really hard pedal. im thinking great whats wrong now. sat night i was playing around with it on the street off post and spun out around the corner and had to slam on the brakes. backed up and went my merry on way no problem. then i have this problem on monday I got looking around and there is a crack in the top of the brake booster coming from the hose all the way to the back of the front portion of the booster. this looks like its two pieces. a front and a back. here is my questions can i just replace the front half of the booster or do i have to replace the whole thing? and would a panic stop like i did cause that to break like that? Thanks Dan

Technically, the booster is rebuildable, BUT, I don't think you can get the parts unless theu're used. And I wouldn't trust used parts on something as critical as ny brakes.

Plus, to do it right, there's a tool (press) used for disassembly and assembly. That cover has a huge spring behind it.

Yea, a new booster is pricy @ $399 but safety's important.
Posted on: 2011/6/27 16:54

Fredbird Re: Brake Booster
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

I just replaced my BB about a month ago. Not a hard job, but it really helps to have one person to guide the rod in through the firewall while you attach it to the pedal.

Let me know if you need anything.

I bought mine from AZ for only about 100.00 with a lifetime warranty. No problems so far. the remanufactured one was a metal case instead of plastic, so you shoudn't have any problem with it cracking again.

I did have to cut a small piece off of the bracket that holds the computer in place, so the brake booster would sit flush against the firewall (maybe a 1/4in by 1/4 triangle but that didn't effect the functionality of the bracket.

I can post some pictures tonight if you want.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 1:18

BillH Re: Brake Booster
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Fredbird wrote:
I bought mine from AZ for only about 100.00 with a lifetime warranty. No problems so far. the remanufactured one was a metal case instead of plastic, so you shoudn't have any problem with it cracking again.

It would be nice for us LT1 guys to be able to get the metal one but you can't get one for a 92 & up.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 1:56

Fredbird Re: Brake Booster
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Ahh... sorry missed the year... Yeah, mine is a 91 L98.

However i did see the rebuilt booster at AZ for 149.00 and it too has a lifetime warranty. (same brand as mine and not a bad price.)

Good luck!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 2:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.