Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BBShark Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Guru Newb
Cincinnati, OH
29 Posts

I want to lower the front crossmember (the one directly under and in front of the radiator) with 1" spacers. I need the lower the radiator support to increase the gap between the radiator and the hood so that I can draw intake air from in front of the radiator.

I might have issues with front sway bar clearance. Can you think of any other problems?
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpeedHound RE:Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

The core support supports the whole front end of the car. You'll have to find a way to move the bolt holes on the side of the core support. You will have issues with the top one because there is not enough metal above the current bolt holes.

I would recommend you cut the top of the core support off and add a new brace below out of the way of your air intake. There is enough room there to gain an inch. You may have issues with opening the hood though. I guess it just depends on how you build your air intake.

I would highly advise against lowering the radiator though. Too many variables for so little.

Good luck though with whatever you do. Keep us posted.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 2:06

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

BBShark RE:Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Guru Newb
Cincinnati, OH
29 Posts

I understand what you mean but I think the radiator support could be lowered 1 inch by cutting the flanges off and rewelding. That way the holes stay in the same place, only the crossmember moves down.

For clarification, I am referring to #8 as the crossmember and #12 the frame extension that it attaches to.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/20 2:26

Twin_Turbo RE:Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Guru Newb
27 Posts

Would be easier to cut the upper part of the radiator frame and make it an open design so you can grab cold air through it.

What engine are you running, what hood? I'm going to do a cold air box for a 502 ramjet and there's a good amount of open space between the shroud and the radiator itself, I think I'm going to utilize that area. The overal open surface area there is much larger that the throttle body area.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 9:31

Guru Newb
Cincinnati, OH
29 Posts

I am using a stock BB hood and am running a Ramjet style plenum on a 502. The clearance I have between the top of the radiator flange and the underside of the hood is only about an inch. By the time I had an air tube in there, It would be maybe a 3/4 inch slit to breathe through. That's why I want to drop the support. I have a 68 so the support is easy to mod, it looks like something that was made in a high school shop class.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 13:31

Twin_Turbo RE:Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Guru Newb
27 Posts

So you have a ramjet 502 bascially. That won't fit under a stock hood. it won't even fit under an L88 hood, I had to cut up and raise the center section to fit a ramjet 502 under there.

i'm going to start working on a cold air box/duct for a 502 ramjet and bullshark (who also has one in his 69) wants a box too if it works out. If it works on the 69, it should be easy to make it work on your 68 won't it?
Posted on: 2008/2/20 16:38

mrvette72 RE:Lowering The Front Crossmember 1 inch?
Guru Newb
1 Posts

Same old group, differant forum....

as posted elsewhere, I cut the top of my rad support, and run an up/over air induction...thing is, with anything like a stock hood....it won't work, no clearance not with stock a/c condensor anyway....

so what's new guys??

GENE, for some reason mrvette here is taken...don't recall signing up here before...so?? dunno...
Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:37

Guru Newb
Cincinnati, OH
29 Posts

I am making a low profile penum for the 502 so I will be able to clear the BB hood. The black line in the side view is the underside of the hood.

GENE, go to see you. This might be a good place to get some LT1 help. Lot's of C4 guys around

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/20 23:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.