Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Solved the fire problem...now I need help..
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Well the good news is it went from a massive VC leak, to a small one. On the other side. I fixed the driver's side problem, now I have a small passenger side problem. I can see exactly where it's leaking and can't do a dam thing about it. I'm getting another gasket. Seems the gasket I put in was cut a little thinner than the other side, but I said...WTF.....So I put it in. No big deal I think a new gasket will solve it.

Anyway, I am running open headers. when the car warms up it runs like crap. It seems to miss like crazy. Is it possible it's not going into open loop because of the open headers.

Once I get the oil leak fixed I will get the exhaust done. Do you think that will solve the problem?
Posted on: 2008/3/3 1:58

dan0617 Re: Solved the fire problem...now I need help..
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

It is very possible. You will have to get it all done, then start troubleshooting. I have been lucky and had almost no troubleshooting. Not 1 single leak. I have beat this thing alot already testing and tuning. I bought an ALDL cable and downloaded Datamaster (Case gives good advice) and found my tune needs reworked some. I emailed the Datamaster files to Alvin and he is going to burn me a new chip, then I'll send mine back when I get his. My point is, finish your exhaust and leaks and such, then run it. If it throws a code then read them and see what's up. If not then you might have to buy an ALDL cable and download Datamaster and see what is going on. Trust me, it is well worth it and it will let Alvin put the tune spot on.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 2:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: Solved the fire problem...now I need help..
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Thanks. I am wondering since the O2 is in the collector if I will have to go to a heated O2 sensor. I hope not, but it may be unavoidable.

I am going to run Datamaster once the exhaust is done. I've already spoken to Alvin about it.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 2:18

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

My O2 sensor is in the #8 primary tube maybe 4 or so inches from the head. I haven't had to run a heated one. I would bet you will need a heated one with yours being all the way back in the collector. I think you just have 3 wires instead of 2, the third wire goes to a 12V source that has power when the key is on. Not 100% sure tho. I would wait till the exhaust is done tho before going through that, as the exhaust system will definitely retain more heat and it might be ok. With the 02 sensor in the collector and running open headers that is more than likely causing your problem.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:10

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

You need to load your avatar back up, or one of your whole car. I love the color of your car.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:11

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'm thinking of pulling the header off (10 minute job at this point) and cleaning it up since the oil made a mess of it.

So do you guys think that the 02 isn't going closed loop? Would that cause the problems I'm experiencing?

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:34

MK 82 Re: Solved the fire problem...now I need help..
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I warned you that the O2 sensors would not operate properly with open headers. May need heated sensors. I put them on my old 86 when I put long tubes on. Borrow a trailer and get the exhaust fixed!
Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:45

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Thanks, I know. I just wanted to know if there were something else I should look for.

OK, I'll try to ask the question more clearly.

When the car reaches a particular temp, is the ECU looking for closed loop, when it doesn't find it does it play with the timing and fuel delivery? That is what I'm trying to understand.

I printed out all the materials I will need to do the heated O2 sensor and I'm going to do that.

I checked all the wiring under the car and all seems to be in order in and around the O2 sensor.

I can make it to the exhaust shop, it doesn't run that bad. PLUS it's dam hard to tell with open headers WTF is going on.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 21:41

MK 82 Re: Solved the fire problem...now I need help..
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Three things are required to enter closed loop.

1. A preset amount of time has passed.

2. The coolant temp above a preset value.

3. A hot, functioning O2 sensor.

Can you scan this car?

Stop running it with open headers.
Posted on: 2008/3/6 17:08

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
Three things are required to enter closed loop.

1. A preset amount of time has passed.

2. The coolant temp above a preset value.

3. A hot, functioning O2 sensor.

Can you scan this car?

Stop running it with open headers.

Thanks. I just finished hooking up the heated O2 sensor last night.

I have to check the VC on the passenger side, as it leaks a little I'll do that tomorrow. I have to run it enough to get the oil up to temp to see if there's any more leaks.

Once that is complete I will take it to the exhaust shop to have that taken care of...I can't bring it in with the VC leaking or without changing out the O2 sensor.
Posted on: 2008/3/6 23:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.