Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
233 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Dads90 Help reading a Datamaster scan
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I hooked it up and this is the data I got. Could anyone explain any of this to me? I'm still learning. Thanks !! Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/3/10 2:37
Edited by bmwgsa on 2008/3/10 3:08:36

dan0617 Re: Help reading a Datamaster scan
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I am no expert either, but I have used datamaster just recently for the first time. I don't know much about the fueling, but I do know you need to try to get rid of some spark knock. I assume a few knock counts are ok but you don't want to be getting knock retard. I think you are getting lots of spark knock by the looks of your scan so you must either have too much initial timing, running a little lean, or the tune is too aggressive on timing. In some instances high rpm detonation can be caused by not enough timing. Who did your tune? You can usually email them your datamaster file and have them re-do your tune, that's what I'm doing with pcmforless. It might take a couple of tries to get it perfect but I think it is worth it. If your car is stock then chances are your initial timing is off some. Maybe Casey or someone else who knows alot about Datamaster will chime in.
Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Woodstock Re: Help reading a Datamaster scan
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Well, no expert either, but I did a few scans with TunerPro and Datamaster.
90 and 91 do have a none adjustable TPS, it doesn't mean the set value is written in stone. The ECM is learing the TPS idle setting, I adjusted mine closer to 0,6 Volts nonetheless.
There is not too much you can see on a single frame, but what seems odd, is your 2600RPM at 0% TPS. Otherwise the data looks OK to me and the knock retard depends on the scale.
Mine seems to run very well if I set the timing at 8° advanced. I do have some knock retard at times, but not much higher than 5°. This being a bone stock 91.
Let us know how much knock retard you got?

edit: All warmed up, the voltage at 14,2 seems to be a bit on the high side, not really anything to worry about. Just something to keep an eye on.
Posted on: 2008/3/11 15:25

Dads90 Re: Help reading a Datamaster scan
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm taking the numbers and referring to the FSM. I have figured that it is running lean. The 02 sensor had hardly any carbon build up, it wouldn't hardly come off on your hand. It is set at 6* BTDC, but it just got set to that from 8* here recently. I've had posts on major knock issues in the past (funny didn't even know what was going on) I don't have a custom tune, no fancy chip, just tried to set everything to spec. All I'm looking for is the slight miss that plagues this car at idle. If its running lean, what's a way to richen it up ?
Posted on: 2008/3/12 2:50

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Just ran antoher scan. I keep the RPM up, the report shows 4025 RPM. The TPS now at 17.3 %, got it up to 21 %. Volts were only at 1.41 max. The knock count is at 160
Posted on: 2008/3/12 3:59

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

another scan tonight. While idling I adjusted the TPS to about .92 volts at idle. The knock count reports about 5-6, which is far better than previous report. Also set the timing at about 9* and got a little knock at idle setting at a stop sign. So I retarded it to 8*. Haven't test drove it, its getting late.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 4:14

Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

I believe the 90 and 91 got a very sensitive knock sensor. It shows in the scan but I never really hear any pinging.
The TPS you can test without starting the engine. It seems yours is not OK though. 100% throttle would be about 4-4.5 Volts.

At idle with 0% throttle you should rather try to adjust the TPS setting to 0.6 Volts. The early C4s with adjustable TPS call for 0.54 Volts.

edit. If you got some knock at idle, you rather want to set your timing conservative and take it back a notch and start from 4-6° advanced.

Your MAP values are low too, didn't see that at first. I would correct the TPS issue first, before looking at the MAP.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:11
Edited by Woodstock on 2008/3/14 13:38:31

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Thanks Woodstock for your help. The TPS was set as the car was idling. The idle was hunting up and down when I turned the TPS up slightly to get the idle to steady. That was at .92 volts. I'm thinking of replacing it. Tomorrow I will try it at 4* to 6* and see what happens. I thought of testing the map, I will try that as well. My work mechanic suggested unpluging the knock sensor and watch the effect on the scan. Possibly a bad sensor ? This car sat for 10 years and when it was reconditioned I doubt they replaced the knock sensor. The TPS at "key on only" showed 100% at WOT with 5 volts. I will show the latest scan here shortly.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 3:28

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

OK, hear is the latest scan. Better than the first. http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/ThomasHorsley/Scan4.jpg
Posted on: 2008/3/15 4:26

Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Looks pretty good to me now. The desired idle with 700 and your actual idle at 725 are close enough to match. Seems like you found a good setting. The TPS might have some bad contacts from sitting around. You may want to take it off and move it manually by hand a few dozen times to clear some internal corrosion built-up?
If you watch the TPS voltage live on your scanner, it should move up smoothly, it's not supposed to jump up.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 23:44

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Did move the TPS to .69 volts couldn't get it any lower. Seems OK. Funny I'm learning how to review a report before printing it. I didn't realize it prints where the timeline sets at. Did replace the MAP sensor, could never get a reading much over 50 . The test showed OK volts at required kpa, but the cars rpm would never make it rise to where it should be. The replacement reads as much as 92 kpa on acceleration. Good there !! At least I'm not showing a lean condition. Did back the timing to about 7*. I do notice a slight ping on (like bad gas) acceleration. I may go to 6* and see what happens. I does idle better, but the slight miss isn't as noticeable. Almost there,,,, Thanks for all your help, Woodstock.
Posted on: 2008/3/16 19:28

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Ok tonight I replaced the TPS and set it at .62 volts. Now all numbers are closer to "what I think is normal". Did set the timing at approx. 5.9* I will post my final scan here shortly.
Posted on: 2008/3/17 1:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.