Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Automatic Slip Regulation
Also known as ASR; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Some visual inspection and some assumptions lead me to believe that, at 78,000 miles, most of the rubber suspension bushings on my 1985 need to be replaced. There are replacements that are easily available, but they are urethane.

Multiple sources have advised me that urethane bushings ride firmer. I have heard from two folks that it would make my 1985 Z51 ride like a 1984 Z51—not the direction I'm looking for. There's also some risk of taking a point deduction in judging, but that isn't my primary concern.

So the question is: why doesn't anybody sell rubber bushings? Is there somewhere I'm not thinking of looking that I should?

Posted on: 2017/9/28 23:30

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

When I did my suspension years ago poly was the only option. As far as I know, no one else has started reproducing rubber yet.

With poly it will probably ride slightly stiffer, but might handle better as a trade off.
Posted on: 2017/9/29 0:48

bogus Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

OK... C4 suspension 101... or how I learned to tolerate bad planning.

The rubber bushes are poured into the arms, they are not serviceable. You have to replace the entire arm.

And be careful with poly... they can cause binding, especially in the rear.

more later, gotta run some errands.

Posted on: 2017/9/29 2:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Ok! I am back.

The problem is that poly ain't the end all be all of fixes. It is hard, but it's strength is debatable.

I had a poly bushing fail a couple of years ago. It was on the rear spring perch and when it went, the spring went with it. I have talked to Jack @ McJacks Corvettes and he has seen a number of failed poly bushings over the years.

The other issue is the way the rear suspension is laid out. The lower control arm is under tension, and that adds insult to injury. It also causes the rear to potentially bind when using poly, It was this reason I did the Banski kit. I know, it will fail an NCRS test but I don't care!

The only known fix is to find NOS suspension arms. The rubber parts are poured in, as I said above. They are not inserted.

The front is better, but I still donno if I trust poly on the control arms, at least if they fail, the entire suspension won't fall on the ground.

Posted on: 2017/9/29 3:45

j3studio Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:
bogus wrote:

The problem is that poly ain't the end all be all of fixes. It is hard, but it's strength is debatable.

I had a poly bushing fail a couple of years ago. It was on the rear spring perch and when it went, the spring went with it. I have talked to Jack @ McJacks Corvettes and he has seen a number of failed poly bushings over the years.

The other issue is the way the rear suspension is laid out. The lower control arm is under tension, and that adds insult to injury. It also causes the rear to potentially bind when using poly, It was this reason I did the Banski kit. I know, it will fail an NCRS test but I don't care!

The only known fix is to find NOS suspension arms. The rubber parts are poured in, as I said above. They are not inserted.

The front is better, but I still donno if I trust poly on the control arms, at least if they fail, the entire suspension won't fall on the ground.

Thank you, Andy.
Posted on: 2017/9/29 16:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

yer welcome.
Posted on: 2017/9/30 0:23

hcbph Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Senior Guru
269 Posts

I wanted to refresh my suspension last winter. I'd spent a fair amount of time researching and looking for parts, I could not find anything to replace the old bushings other than poly. I found that the bushings in my car had been previously replaced with poly and the ones on the upper end of the camber rods were very worn.

After much reflection, I decided to replace the camber rods, camber rods and toe rods with the Banski Suspension package. They are complete replacement of these parts with new ones that incorporate Teflon lined heim joints with full adjustability. I replaced them, the bushings were replaced with new poly ones as were the bushings on the spring to knuckles.

Far as I can tell, you basically have two options: replace your bushings with new poly ones or go with something like I did (the Banski Suspension kit). I will say that I really like the Banski kit, it really handles well on those curvy windy country roads. I won't say the softness of ride is neither better nor worse than it was as those should be controlled by the spring and shocks, which were unchanged at that time.

Attach file:

jpg  IM002122.JPG (69.68 KB)
21158_59d0d161d702b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IM002131.JPG (74.87 KB)
21158_59d0d172822cb.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2017/10/1 11:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I was thinking...

if you can find a tire recapper... take the control arms, clear out the old bushes, and pour in new ones.

Is that feasible? The other option is to spend big money on remans or something...
Posted on: 2017/10/5 19:13

j3studio Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Elite Guru
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I was thinking ... if you can find a tire recapper... take the control arms, clear out the old bushes, and pour in new ones. Is that feasible? The other option is to spend big money on remans or something...

I think I'm going to approach it like I do so much with this completely innessential vehicle—do it in multiple phases, over a couple of years, starting with the worst stuff first.

Posted on: 2017/10/6 12:33

hcbph Re: [Wack j3studio Question #63] Why No Rubber Suspension Bushings?
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I was thinking...

if you can find a tire recapper... take the control arms, clear out the old bushes, and pour in new ones.

Is that feasible? The other option is to spend big money on remans or something...

The biggest issue I can think of would be getting the inserts in the rubber exactly where they need to be. If wrong it would affect the alignment in a bad way.
Posted on: 2017/10/7 23:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

You are absolutely right.

This is the logical option.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette/ ... ory/c4-front-control-arms

Posted on: 2017/10/9 16:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.