Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

hcbph Random DTC41 Tip
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Thought I'd pass along a tip for anyone with a L98 engine that gets a DTC41 error code from an intermittent SES light.
Scenario is I started getting a SES light intermittently, it would come and go when driving or on startup. Typically if you disconnect the battery cable and hook it back up it would clear up the SES light. At no time did I have issues running the car but it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy when it happened. You won't always capture the error code but on occasion I would get the DTC41 error code.
I reviewed my notes on past issues on the car and had it happen 5 years ago (which I'd forgotten for the moment). I did the same fix and it seems to have solved it again. The fix is to disconnect all the ground contacts from the G104 ground on the engine block by the oil filter. Clean everything up, use dialectic grease on the connectors and put it back together. So far it looks to have taken care of it again.
The error code indicates a ECU failure, but the fact it's not continuous lead me to believe it was something else, a bad ground connection in this case.
The error code sucks as they don't describe the problem very well, hope this helps someone down the road.
Posted on: 2020/6/25 3:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Random DTC41 Tip
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

cool!!! Grounds are so important on plastic cars!!!
Posted on: 2020/6/25 4:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Random DTC41 Tip
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Grounds are super important. Good tip.
Posted on: 2020/6/25 19:19

hcbph Re: Random DTC41 Tip
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Had it reoccur today for maybe 20 sec. Not near as many times as before but still happened. I'll have to start looking at additional grounds, though these should not have to go onto a lift to get to.
Posted on: 2020/6/27 23:52

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Don't know if it's the answer or not but found something definitely wrong. The ecm had been removed in the past and was just shoved into place and wiring harness pulled below it to hold it into place. I fastened it in and added a ground wire to insure a good ground with the case.
Ran it for 5 miles and ran fine but then again it's done that before. Have to take it for a longer drive and see what happens.
Posted on: 2020/6/30 22:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

DTC41, loss of communications, right?
Posted on: 2020/7/1 0:03

j3studio Re: Random DTC41 Tip
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Grounds are so important on plastic cars!

Lordy, yes.

Posted on: 2020/7/1 19:04

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
DTC41, loss of communications, right?

Yes it is. If this isn't it, I guess it's time to go into the distributor next. I'm hoping the lack of a good ground on the ecm is the problem, if not then onto the next area.
Posted on: 2020/7/2 0:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

DTC41 is the comm error... this means the UARTs are failing.

UART - Universal Asynchronous Receive Transmit - are chips that send and receive data from the ECU to the CCM and from the CCM to and from the EBCM (brakes/ASR), the AC system and the radio.

There are two distinct UARTs on both the PCM and the CCM, they merge into 1 wire and split again on after the firewall... this creates a redundancy, if one fails, the other will take over.

I don't have the time now, but I will check the Helm Manual on this schematic for this... it used to be a tan wire, but I don't know the details on a 96.

At this point, I don't think the ground is the main problem... it smells like a failing PCM...

Posted on: 2020/7/2 15:54

Senior Guru
269 Posts

I'm going to keep looking but I've got an appointment with my mechanic in a week in case I can't find it. As a former IT guy, I hate computerization in cars.
Posted on: 2020/7/4 6:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I am an IT guy... I don't mind computers in cars, I just hate computers in cars where they are nothing but maintenance fails...

Engine controllers, IMHO, are the best thing since sliced bread... thanks to the tech (which came to the street from F1 racing), has given us 700hp V8s that can get 20 mpg on the highway... The 400hp LS2 in my '06 Coupe gets nearly 30 on the open highway!!! The LT1 in the C7, when mated to a 7spd manual, set in eco-mode, will hit nearly 40 MPG on the highway. That's insane. And if it helps us sustain our passions, I am all for it.

Where computers become a pain in the ass is when the OEM stops supporting them. I spoke to Harlan Charles about this a few years back, asking if GM was considering supporting older Corvettes with hard to get parts and he indicated it was on the radar, but I suspect the C8 kinda slowed that plan.

We in Corvette land are not the only ones with this problem... The Ferrari 348, 1990-1994 or so... it has a computer module that manages the climate controls. This component was made for Ferrari, using Ferrari specs, by an outside vendor. The downside? This module fails and you are stuck with an expensive car with no heat or AC! Ferrari doesn't make the part (well, they may now), and won't let the vendor make it, either... As I understand it, there is a dude in San Diego that fixes them... however, my point is that we are not alone.

In general, the computers in a C4 are pretty good. The CCM and EBCM are noted to last forever, and the ECM is good to 150k miles or more... Even tho it is made to deal with engine heat, I don't think it lives as long as it would if it was in a cooler area. Why not put it in the back storage bin? As an aside, if you need an ECM, the 1992 and 1993 Corvette ECM is shared with the 1993 Camaro/Firebird LT1 ECM. There are 120k of them out there... just swap the chips.

Do NOT trust the rebuilders... they don't know what they are doing...
Posted on: 2020/7/4 16:16

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Well I got the car back from my mechanic, and it's hard to believe the solution. I had given my mechanic the manual, some pages printed off that appeared pertinent and my notes on what I'd seen to try and save a little time. He said it was a coolant sensor that had gone bad, not noted in anything I'd found in the manual. Anyway I have a few days to drive the car and confirm whether it's fixed or not. I've done one drive so far and no SES light, so here's hoping.
Posted on: 2020/7/16 15:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

The coolant temp sensor is DTC16, IIRC... it is important because the ECM must have the engine temp to set the mixture.

As long as the car starts, you are ok... because the CCM has to handshake with the ECM to start... once the engine fails to start, then start worrying.

Posted on: 2020/7/16 16:09

Senior Guru
269 Posts

I was definitely getting a DTC41 error code, every time it left one in memory, only one code. Having said that, I've now taken it out twice for a total of around 50 miles and no SES errors. Thing was it was getting the SES at around 3-5 miles once the engine was hitting 190 degrees or more.
I can't explain it, but this is one mechanic I'd trust a whole lot more than any dealership mechanic. He's found and fixed things for me than no other mechanic was able to correct. I'll be driving it some more and we'll see if Nghia has it fixed or not.
Posted on: 2020/7/16 19:24

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Well I think it's fixed finally. In addition to that sensor, I found a fuse had popped which I replaced. I also put back in the rebuilt ecm and it's been running just fine all weekend. I've taken it out 6 or 8 times without an issue. Fingers crossed between that sensor and these other things that it will continue driving as it should.
Posted on: 2020/7/20 14:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

that's great!!!
Posted on: 2020/10/3 17:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.