Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (211 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Need help buying C3 for friend
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I have a friend who saw my vette last year and decided he wanted one. He likes the C3 bodystyle, so I told him I'd help look. He is not mechanical, so I'd be looking for a solid car that most of the work has been done on. He'd be driving it on weekends and would like to spend under $10,000. I suggested 78-82, as I've seen some pretty good deals out there and could probably find one reworked and in good shape for that price. I told him that some of the older (emissioned) vettes are not rockets, but he doesn't care, it's more about looks. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/21 18:26

brut Re: Need help buying C3 for friend
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

"Personally" I like 77's and older simply because of the back window. I like the flat one verses the "hatch" style. I know some will disagree with me, but stay away from the '82's due to the crossfire. Many people have had great luck with them though, just may be more trouble than whats its worth to him.

The newer ones, however, are more refined and comfortable. I even like the body styles of teh newer ones, to a degree.

Like you said, you just are not going to get a lot of power out of these cars unless they have been modified. For his price range I would suggest the following:

1) Make sure teh paint is near perfect!! This is the biggest expense of all!! It is easier and cheaper to fix a bad starter or wheel bearing.

2) Make sure there is only surface rust on the frame. Also look near the body mounts and windshield frame. These cars have a tendency to really leak and the water sits and rusts.

3) Check the motor numbers!! Don't take the word of the seller, check for yourself!! Also, go for the L-82 verses the L-48 if possible.

4) Try to find a 4-speed and A/C car. These add value(at least blue book)

5) Most important: Don't Settle for what you don't want!! It will come back to haunt him as he realizes what he has verses what he really wanted! If he really wants a black on black, then get one!! They are out there!!

I really think that he can get into a 73-77 within his range pretty easily. But it won't be an overnight find. And don't be afraid of ebay...I bought my '76 that way and drove 3 hours to get it.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2008/4/22 0:10
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

kentucky_vetter Re: Need help buying C3 for friend
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Guy that works for me has a 76 in beautiful shape, asking 8K for it. white with saddle interior, L48 auto. If you think he would be interested gimme a shout and ill get some pics for you.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 1:30

Matatk Re: Need help buying C3 for friend
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Brut - thanks for the tips. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about C3s so I can help him out. I'm just gonna keep my eyes open and read up.

Kentucky - sounds like a good price. I think he wants to find something local so he can go look at it, ponder it, drive it, ponder it some more....if we can't find anything I'll give you a shout.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/22 12:00

Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Brut gave you great advice. Watch out for bad birdcages and also, if you can pull the kick panels and look at the body mounts, in my experience this has been a good place to find bad rust. Last C3 I helped a guy find we traveled to Sandwich Illinois. For a small town that place has an abundance of old muscel cars and vettes.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 12:29

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Thanks Kentucky, replied to your pm

Matthew

btw - sandwich is about an hour from me
Posted on: 2008/4/22 12:49

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

This is a little premature, but what about this one:

Was listed for 11,500 - now 8,990

http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=90259265

Resized Image

81,000 miles

Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Brakes, Power Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, T-Tops, AM/FM, Cassette, Bucket Seats, Limited Slip Rear, Dual Exhaust

1979 CHEVROLET CORVETTE, I purchased this car in 1987 in Arizona and have garaged it since it was purchased. I have been restoring it over the past 21 years. During that time, I have added new drive shafts, dual SS exhausts, a \"Be-Cool\" aluminum radiator with dual Deralier electric cooling fans. have replaced with new front a arms, trailing arms, steering box, shocks. This year I placed brand new o-ring calipers. I have had the transmission professionally rebuilt with heavy duty parts and the motor has also been professionally built. The motor has a 4 bolt main and 10:1 compression with roller rockers, a 268 competition cam, windage tray, forged pistons with total seal rings, three row timing chain, heads are brand new \"world products\" 194 heads which flow like camel back heads and SS valves and screw in studs. The motor has approximately 2000 miles on it. I change the oil 2 times per year weather it needs it or not with Schaeffers Semi- synthetic Oil and Hastings dual filter. I have a 1980 corvette aluminum intake manifold with rebuilt Rochester carburetor with a K%N high volume air cleaner. I did this for the gas mileage, but if you replace intake and carburetor you will have a real screamer. Interior has been replaced with custom fire proof aviation vinyl and was repainted about 8 years ago. Due to being garaged, has some dings in the paint and will need some touching up. Under carriage is clean and has no sign of rust on frame. The air-conditioning will need to be recharged as I have replaced the hoses. I also have all aluminum shielding, radiator, and extra parts that I can sell separately

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/22 23:20

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

According to his description, looks like the guy has really taken care of it. However they are just words.

I dunno why the guy would have changed intakes and carbs for gas mileage? This is a CORVETTE man!! I guess if it was his daily driver..i guess so....

Anyway, sounds well taken care of. Paint looks real good in the pics. Small dings and rock chips(they get real bad in front of the rear fender)can be fixed if you have the exact match paint and a little time and patience.

Sounds like a really good price too for what it is. I am assuming its a Auto by the way he described the rebuild.

Looks good!
Posted on: 2008/4/24 17:16
'07 Hummer H3

Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Worth looking at and the price isn't out of line .
Posted on: 2008/4/24 21:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I talked to my buddy last night about it. He's interested, his wife not so much. His daughter (6 yoa) told him he could buy it, but after their trip to disneyland (she wants to make sure there's enough dough for the trip...smart cookie). I told him to lean on the wife a little...

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/25 12:55

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Well, let us know the outcome!!!
Posted on: 2008/4/25 17:58
'07 Hummer H3

corvetteronw Re: Need help buying C3 for friend
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

I talked with the owner of a white 4-speed 81 who had his car in the Gold Mine area at Bloomington Gold. Well maintained car with rebuilt motor and very clean. Kinda rare as it has black cloth seats along with the manual tranny. He drove it down from quad cities. (I was too embarassed to admit that I have no idea where the quad cities are) He said he drove it 170 miles to the show. It is in the price range at $10,200. Guy appeared to be honest and the car looked and sounded great. It did not sell at the show.
I also met the owner of a dark blue 80 with auto tranny, 383 motor, tranny rebuilt with shift kit. The cam is mild so it idles very smooth. It had an L88 hood and wood trim interior with aftermarket radio and blue leather interior. It was always serviced by D&M in Downers Grove. He lives in one of the burbs off I88 and was asking $11,000 (I think). His car did not sell either.
I have pics of both cars and contact info for the owners of both cars. I too was looking for a friend but the two colors that his girlfriend hates are - you guessed it, white and of course blue!
E-mail me at corvetteronw@hotmail.com with your friend's contact info or yours and I will e-mail the pics that I have. Both owners agreed to a full inspection to be done at the local chevy dealer (for the white one) and D&M for the blue one. These cars were both nice rides and appeared to be reliable.
Posted on: 2008/7/5 1:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Thanks, Ron. I sent you a PM earlier. Right now his purchasing is in "limbo" until we can convince his wife...lol.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/5 14:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.