Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Randy93 Code 28 on a 93
Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

I have checked and rechecked every possible relay and they all work normal. The only thing I found was a crack in the wiring going to my a/c relay.
Can this cause my code, by arcing against the compressor or is it somewhere else?

Thanks, this started about a year after I got my car and it is driving me nuts, I replaced the ECM a year ago, because of another problem.
Posted on: 2008/4/26 14:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Code 28 on a 93
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No one can answer that at all, cause youve only given half a story. What DTC 28 is it? Where is the MODULE NUMBER for the DTC?

Need the full story before i can do anything.
Posted on: 2008/4/26 15:30

bogus Re: Code 28 on a 93
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quad Driver 3. What the hell is that? I never did figure that out...
Posted on: 2008/4/26 17:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Randy93 Re: Code 28 on a 93
Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

The 28 is QD 3
Posted on: 2008/4/26 18:19
Edited by Randy93 on 2008/4/30 14:14:07

crash Re: Code 28 on a 93
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

correct me if im wrong but the quad drivers are in the ecm and serve as the ground for vat.circuits
Posted on: 2008/4/26 21:00

bogus Re: Code 28 on a 93
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

They are in the ECM... but their code usually means a lot more than what it appears.

I will have to get my books out and see. These are not easy ones to track... and can mean something else is amiss.
Posted on: 2008/4/26 21:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

toptechx6 Re: Code 28 on a 93
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Hi Randy, seem to recall discussing this a little on the “other” forum; don’t want to confuse those who were not part of the earlier discussion. The quad drivers are in the ECM, they provide the ground path to activate various relays and solenoids, while a bad ECM can cause the code, so can the devices controlled or the wiring going to them.
I remember you saying the code 28 DID turn on your SES light and see you mention here the ECM indicated it was for quad driver module circuit 4.
I mention this for a couple of reasons, one is that my car has also set this code and my ECM indicated it was for QDM circuit 3, also my SES light will NOT illuminate for the code 28. Those symptoms are consistent with information in the 93 FSM, and I was able to use the flow chart and wiring diagrams there to resolve my problem.
You mentioned you replaced the ECM for another issue so guess I’m wondering if it could be the wrong part, since your car does not respond according to information in the FSM, just something to consider. For what it is worth the PN of the ECM in my 93 A4 car is 16159278.
My 93 FSM indicates QDM circuit 3 controls both fan relays and the A/C clutch so the bare wire you found might also have some connection, no doubt you have already corrected that anyway.
Hope some of the above is helpful, best of luck sorting out the problem, please let us know the outcome whatever it turns out to be.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 15:32

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

I stand corrected, it is QDM 3. I thought I had it corrected, I had a bad fan relay. Then a week later it pops up again and the only problem I can find is one of the wires going to the A/C relay is cracked. I am wondering if this is causing my code 28 and if so; what is the best method to fix this problem?
Posted on: 2008/4/30 14:10

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

Now I am getting a DTC26, QDM 1 fault. Anybody know how to diagnose this without a tech1?
Posted on: 2008/4/30 15:53

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Based on your message it sounds like you have a FSM because I see the first step says to activate the various solenoids and relays on QDM circuit 1 with the Tech 1.
If you look at the wiring diagram on the facing page to the flow chart you can see the ECM activates them by grounding pins A8, A2, and A1, so if you remove ECM connector A, turn the key to the on position then jump each pin to ground you should hear the solenoids and air pump relay click.
Testing them that way will not tell you if the ECM can do the same but it should at least verify function of the evap, egr solenoids and the air pump relay.
The next step has you measure the current draw on each device by connecting an ammeter on low scale between the same pins and ground so there isn't much lost by doing it that way.
I do have a Tech 1 and would be happy to assist if you are interested but know it is quite a long drive down here, your call there. PM me for an address if you choose to do so. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 16:37

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

Ok, sounds good. Just have one question, where in the heck is the evap solenoid?????
I might take you up on that offer, yes I have the FSM; but are you saying ground the pins on the connector side, I think that is what you are saying. Dont want to cause anymore problems.

Thanks!!!
Posted on: 2008/4/30 21:34

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

The evap solenoid is on the right side of the intake manifold under the fuel rail cover, just below the MAP sensor. See page 6E3-C3-3.
Yes to test the solenoids and relay you want to jump the pins on the connector side to ground with the key on. To clarify you will NOT be contacting the ECU side. Be very careful to identify the correct pins, and try not to touch the adjacent ones with your ground wire.
The connector diagram is on page 8A-202-19 in your FSM. Good luck, let me know how you make out.
Posted on: 2008/4/30 22:13

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

There is nothing below the MAP sensor, but I do have one that looks like a cube below the air tube, that has a hose going into the TB and the other looks like is going to the back between the washer tank and the blower motor.
Posted on: 2008/5/7 14:42

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Randy93 wrote:
There is nothing below the MAP sensor, but I do have one that looks like a cube below the air tube, that has a hose going into the TB and the other looks like is going to the back between the washer tank and the blower motor.

I don't know what to tell you Randy, mine is exactly where the FSM indicates, bolted to an intake manifold stud right below the MAP sensor, as shown on page 6E3-C3-3. Your "cube" description sounds correct,if you post a picture maybe we can identify it.
In the picture below (assuming I post it correctly) the red and blue connector is the electrical connection to the EVAP solenoid.

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/toptechx6/photobucket%20transfer/canisterpurgesolenoid002Large.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/5/7 16:59
Edited by toptechx6 on 2008/5/7 17:38:28

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

Ok, I was thinking that the map sensor was the sensor in the air tube(not sure what it is called) between the TB and filter.
Ok, then I have a crack in the bottom hose and the top is loose, which I replaced 3 yrs ago when I got the car.
Need to stop checking everything, seems I fix 1 and find 3 more problems.

Thanks Toptech, if that offer is still open, I am going to be down there weekend after this this weekend. Would love to finally get this car back on track.

PS- Love those valve covers.
Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:49

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Randy93 wrote:
Ok, I was thinking that the map sensor was the sensor in the air tube(not sure what it is called) between the TB and filter.
Ok, then I have a crack in the bottom hose and the top is loose, which I replaced 3 yrs ago when I got the car.
Need to stop checking everything, seems I fix 1 and find 3 more problems.

Thanks Toptech, if that offer is still open, I am going to be down there weekend after this this weekend. Would love to finally get this car back on track.

PS- Love those valve covers.

Check your PM
Posted on: 2008/5/8 8:48

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

Top, I cant thank you enough for your help on Saturday.
I am still getting the 28, do you think it is still the a/c cluch wiring being exposed?

Code I got on the way back from your house were, 26, 28 and 32.
I just got the evap solenoid today, so I hope the 26 goes away and the 32, well that is going to have to wait till I have time to take off the intake and clean the EGR opening.

And one more thing, on the way back the car started running terrible. It was backfiring on acceleration and deacceleration really bad and I am smelling gas.
The car has been running rich, but now I have no power to speak of and the 13 code did not come back.
Also, got CCM codes 13 and 41, havent had time to look those up yet.

Thanks again!!!!
Posted on: 2008/5/19 23:47

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Randy93 wrote:
Top, I cant thank you enough for your help on Saturday.
I am still getting the 28, do you think it is still the a/c cluch wiring being exposed?

Code I got on the way back from your house were, 26, 28 and 32.
I just got the evap solenoid today, so I hope the 26 goes away and the 32, well that is going to have to wait till I have time to take off the intake and clean the EGR opening.

And one more thing, on the way back the car started running terrible. It was backfiring on acceleration and deacceleration really bad and I am smelling gas.
The car has been running rich, but now I have no power to speak of and the 13 code did not come back.
Also, got CCM codes 13 and 41, havent had time to look those up yet.

Thanks again!!!!

Nice to meet you on Saturday Randy, but doesn't sound like I was much help! We knew of course code 26 and 32 would not go away until the solenoid was replaced and EGR passage cleaned but the other stuff has me baffled.
I would do a good visual inspection to make sure we didn't disconnect something by accident while testing Saturday (vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator?) I would do a battery disconnect to clear codes and see what returns, make sure the batt cables are clean while doing that.
I don't think your wire to the A/C clutch is causing the code 28, but one thought does come to mind. The FSM always suggests clearing each code in sequence before trouble shooting the next one in numerical order, since you have multiple issues I would get the purge solenoid and resolve that one first then see if the others return. Good luck and let me know what you find.
Posted on: 2008/5/20 9:53

Guru
Winter Park, Fl
51 Posts

Well I got rid of the 26, replaced the solenoid and no more service light.
So, I am back to my original problem and of course the 32, I am going to take care of that this weekend.
Posted on: 2008/5/21 12:08

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

When you say original problem I take it you mean the code 28? My suggestion since we checked operation and current draw on all relays Saturday is this.
Take care of your EGR issue first, clear all codes again. Then leave the A/C off, let it idle until the primary fan runs, shut if off and immediately check for the code 28, if the code is there you know that circuit is the problem and can give it closer inspection. If the code does not set, with the A/C still off, restart and let it idle until both fans run, again shut it down and check for the code. If it is set now then the secondary fan circuit is likely the culprit. If the code has still not set finally repeat the process only this time turn on the A/C and recheck.
Those are the only three circuits monitored for the QDM 28 fault so that process should isolate the one setting the code, once we know that we can focus on that circuit alone to get a fix, good luck.
Posted on: 2008/5/22 9:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.