Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
365 user(s) are online (316 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mouse Motor
GM production small block engines were known as Mouse motors.

Early SBC

4.3L 265ci - 1955 thru 1956
4.6L 283ci - 1957 thru 1962
4.9L 302ci - ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

red_johnny New Computer
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well my old computer of about 4 years finally got a virus I cant get rid of so I bought a new one on sale for 499. GOt me a compact with a HP 20" LCD widescreen. It has 1Gig ram, 250 Gig hard drive, and two AMD processors. Also came with Vista which I am surprised to say I actually like.
Posted on: 2007/11/27 20:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:New Computer
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thatll be one Dual Core CPU Johnny ;)
Posted on: 2007/11/28 1:06

bogus RE:New Computer
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

not too bad.

and yes, dual core means it has 2 CPUs in one... rather neat, really.

your first upgrade should be the video... I am betting that for 499 it has integrated video.
Posted on: 2007/11/28 5:36

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No it doesnt by christ, it means it has two cores on one CPU, two CPUs in one computer is generally a server type setup as youd know, and substantially more expensive than that (AMD Opteron or INTeL Itanium and INTeL XEON). The mainboard has two seperate CPU sockets, and different chipset to allow far bigger amounts of data to be moved at once, where as one regular dual core CPU goes into the only socket on the board, meaning the processing capacity of that dual core CPU is only as good as the bandwidth a single socket can provide.

Unless youre playing video games Johnny i wouldnt care what video is in it, cause what ever will disply Windows Vista will be fine.
Posted on: 2007/11/28 7:01

red_johnny RE:New Computer
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I do like my video games and I do have a 256..I think video card in the other computer. I am pretty sure its vista patable
Posted on: 2007/11/28 7:52

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The amount of ram on the card matters not. Its all to do with the video processing power of the card, the amount of pipelines, the speed of the core, and the speed of the ram. I have an nVidia 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E video card, and there are quite a few cards with as much as double that ram that dont even go close to the same performance. The nVidia 7300LE 512MB is a perfect example, twice the ram and yet no where near the power.

I built a computer for a guy about 3 years ago and he had a quote from another person he wanted me to match or beat, i beat it by quite a fair amount, and the computer had far more power for gaming, and that is what he wanted. He told me when he read my quote that the other guy had said the onboard video on the INTeL mainbord he quoted for could use 1 full stick of ram, so he could have up to 512MB of video ram.

I said if he wanted that much slow ram and a very slow video processor to buy it from the other guy, but if he wanted real power, take my word for it and take what i sugest. He was blown away by just how much better the performance was of the computer i built for him over the one the other guy wanted to sell him, which he had allready seen in action before he came to me.
Posted on: 2007/11/28 11:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.