Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

josephf31 Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

I have read about and tried the quick fixes (JB Weld, etc.) for the loose tilt column on my '91 coupe. It's better but still not great; I know one way to fix it is replace the column (the tilt portion alone is no longer available, I think).

I was wondering...I am pretty sure I saw a message somewhere, on some forum, about someone who fixed the problem pretty well by buying "oversize" pivot pins and getting them into the (worn out/aluminum?) housing...

Does *anyone* know if there ever was or is now such a thing as "oversize" pins for the tilt wheel mechanism?

If not commercially available, I was thinking I might be able to get someone to machine a pair of pins in some oversize (not sure exactly, guessing somewhere between 5 and 40 thousandths?) that would fix the problem...

Thoughts/suggestions/etc? Thanks!!
Posted on: 2009/7/4 4:41

bogus Re: Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

well... you can disassemble the column; it's not that hard.

Then take the tilt cage to a machinist and have him drill out the cage and make a pin to match.

The problem is that the cage is made of pig metal... it will gall out again. Now, what might work is having a bushing machined in that will not wear and will use the stock sized pin.

I honestly expect the components for the columns are still available... GM made a zillion of them over 20+ years and even sold them to other manufacturers (think AMC and Chysler).

You can also order a used column that might be in better shape.
Posted on: 2009/7/4 5:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

josephf31 Re: Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
well... you can disassemble the column; it's not that hard.

Then take the tilt cage to a machinist and have him drill out the cage and make a pin to match.

The problem is that the cage is made of pig metal... it will gall out again. Now, what might work is having a bushing machined in that will not wear and will use the stock sized pin.

I honestly expect the components for the columns are still available... GM made a zillion of them over 20+ years and even sold them to other manufacturers (think AMC and Chysler).

You can also order a used column that might be in better shape.

Oh I've had the column apart more times than I care to think about ;-) almost to the point where I am afraid a couple more and the mounting bolts for the tilt mechanism may strip out...

The tilt housing itself (the one made of the soft metal) I don't think is available any longer from GM, it would be great if I could just replace that hunk but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I can get an entire column from a '96 auto without the key that is tight, wonder if I'm just better off replacing the whole darn thing? Might even be easier than ripping the old one apart...would it be easier to move the old/existing ignition key/switch to the replacement or getting a 'new' key for the 'new' column/switch?

Thanks!!
Posted on: 2009/7/4 5:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

ok, have you tried to get the part? I mean it when I said that GM litterally made millions of those columns... millions...

it would be worth a call to Chris May at superior chevy, 800.728.8267, to find out for sure.
Posted on: 2009/7/4 18:54

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
ok, have you tried to get the part? I mean it when I said that GM litterally made millions of those columns... millions...

it would be worth a call to Chris May at superior chevy, 800.728.8267, to find out for sure.

It sure can't hurt to give them a call, do you happen to have a part # or exact description? thx!!
Posted on: 2009/7/4 20:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

according to my parts fiche, it isn't sold separately... it's part of an assembly...

Part Number 26017735.
Posted on: 2009/7/5 1:50

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
according to my parts fiche, it isn't sold separately... it's part of an assembly...

Part Number 26017735.

Is that the housing, repair kit, or what? Thx!
Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:00

BrianCunningham Re: Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'll be doing this shortly on mine.

Right now the column is jammed in one position.

Fortunately it's the position I drive in.

Unfortunately it makes getting in & out of it rather annoying.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 15:17

Steve40th Re: Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I did my 93 using this. Not too bad. I replaced the housing and the pins. I called Tom Reina in S Carolina. This is all he does for a livng and had the housing and support GM doesnt carry anymore. The pins were worn, but they are a harder material than the housing, go figure, so it was worn too, which entails the support within the housing,. Tom Reina (864 287 9990)
http://domesticmisfits.net/forums/vie ... rvette+steering+clumn+fix
Posted on: 2009/7/7 5:52

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
I did my 93 using this. Not too bad. I replaced the housing and the pins. I called Tom Reina in S Carolina. This is all he does for a livng and had the housing and support GM doesnt carry anymore. The pins were worn, but they are a harder material than the housing, go figure, so it was worn too, which entails the support within the housing,. Tom Reina (864 287 9990)
http://domesticmisfits.net/forums/vie ... rvette+steering+clumn+fix

I've seen that link long ago...so did you replace your housing and pins, and did Tom have the parts? Thanks!
Posted on: 2009/7/7 15:01

Steve40th Re: Sloppy tilt -- old problem, new question
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Tom has the parts, 200 for both housings shipped to Hawaii. I already had the pins from Chris May.
I replaced them all, then did front suspension etc. TIGHT. Amazing the difference in the steering column when not wiggling around etc
Posted on: 2009/7/8 3:32

Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Tom has the parts, 200 for both housings shipped to Hawaii. I already had the pins from Chris May.
I replaced them all, then did front suspension etc. TIGHT. Amazing the difference in the steering column when not wiggling around etc

Wow great info guys...wondering if I could get your opinion; do you think it would be easier to swap out the whole column (I have one from a '96 that is supposed to be tight, but no key) or replace the housing/pins etc. on the existing one?

thx all I *love* this forum!
Posted on: 2009/7/8 3:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.