Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
292 user(s) are online (196 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

daddue11 what digi dash can go
Senior Guru
Mountain View, Southern Mo.,
131 Posts

In my 84 coupe,I'm thinking of getting one on Ebay,but it's from an 88-89,Will this work on my 84? I need to find out today if possible. thank you daddue11.
Posted on: 2007/9/7 16:52

NC Kid RE:what digi dash can go
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I know for sure the 90s changed because my first vette was a 90 and it had the orange digidash with normal gauges. 86 has the colored all electronic one. Ill search and see if I can find out. Hoepfully someone will chime in soon. BE CAREFUL on ebay though. People on there are not always the nicest. Make sure the seller has a good rep and if you get a notice from PayPal, make sure it is lagit. Prypal and a few others are fake ones. Ghostsurf, software thats sold at office stores, prevents stuff like that and phishing scams. Might be worth yoru time to look into, if your going to be dealing with paypal alot. Goodluck!
Posted on: 2007/9/7 17:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:what digi dash can go
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

84 to 89 digidashes are all interchangeable.

ebay... that's another story...
Posted on: 2007/9/7 18:11

daddue11 RE:what digi dash can go
Senior Guru
131 Posts

Hey, thanks a million guys,the info helps tremendously,I'm about to the end of my digi dash rope,the people that refurbish tell me that they can't fix mine because it lights up but pegs out All the numbers and they don't know the fix for this,even if they replace all digital clusters,I don't know what else to do.I would even be glad to pay a guru good money to make me one of the analog dashes,at least that would be dependable,and I could trust the Fellow Guru. Any takers,hm bogus,if someone would be willing to undertake such a job here is the place to look at.http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/replace.shtml
It's even a fight here to get all the parts here that are needed for this job,these freakin people at the auto parts store say it can't be done even though I bring them the entire article. I just feel whipped,I've been on this for months.
Posted on: 2007/9/7 19:35

NC Kid RE:what digi dash can go
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

My digidash works...but the speedometer piece is on the fritz and I cant find which one fits. I took it to advanced and they have 2 different models for my year. Second, two bulbs are burned out in it and they are 12 bux a piece plus the 100 dollar piece and sometimes it just goes completly black! but the gauges still work when its black if I hold the light up to it. I don't feel like messing with all of it and even if I did replace teh parts myself its still going to cost a good bit. Trying to find a good used one and not rebuild if possible....Can't get a answer at the other Junkyard right now....
Posted on: 2007/9/7 20:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have read that page regarding the analogue gauge conversion.

It is most interesting. All the inputs are basic GM... nothing fancy, really.
Posted on: 2007/9/8 18:13

Senior Guru
131 Posts

Mr. bogus,Does that mean that you could make one that would work on my 84(hint hint)? I know you are a stand up guy and know you're way around these beasts.
Posted on: 2007/9/9 0:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/replace.shtml

that link has all the info... and yes, it can be done on any 1984-1989.
Posted on: 2007/9/9 4:06

CasetheCorvetteman RE:what digi dash can go
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The thing i miss the most about my 87 is that digital dash. What a work of art it was for its day. At least the 94 still has the digital speedo and a couple digital gauges.....
Posted on: 2007/9/9 4:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Casey - That's where age/generation gap is catching up!

I grew up with analogue gauges. As such, I am used to a physical reference, not having to read the digit.

I know the sweet sorta provides that, but it still isn't quite right.

I know by looking at the angle of the tach needle, I am at 2000 rpm, or 5000 rpm... I don't have read the numbers.

In racing, they use graphing, not digital readouts... then again, most of the time, they turn it colours to reflect impending explosion... back in the day, the race car builders would install the tach so that redline was straight up and down, hense, the needle would be nearly vertical.

It's all about quick reads, at least to me.

I reread that page... as neat as it is, it does NOT give much in the way of wiring info.
Posted on: 2007/9/9 16:40

Senior Guru
131 Posts

Quote:

I grew up with analogue gauges. As such, I am used to a physical reference, not having to read the digit.

I know the sweet sorta provides that, but it still isn't quite right.

I know by looking at the angle of the tach needle, I am at 2000 rpm, or 5000 rpm... I don't have read the numbers.

In racing, they use graphing, not digital readouts... then again, most of the time, they turn it colours to reflect impending explosion... back in the day, the race car builders would install the tach so that redline was straight up and down, hense, the needle would be nearly vertical.

It's all about quick reads, at least to me.

I reread that page... as neat as it is, it does NOT give much in the way of wiring info.

I agree with you about that, and it is very hard to take that article to an auto parts store to show them what you want.
maybe the performance shops in the big city would have them and be familiar with such a conversion.
but here in Podunk Mo. no such luck.They say that autogauge doesn't make those gauges anymore,because they are not in their parts book.
Posted on: 2007/9/9 18:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's the thing... ANY GM compatible electronic gauge should work.

There is nothing hi-tech about the signals TO the dash... it's the signals internal that get all complex, but we don't care about that.

The only thing you will loose is cruise control...
Posted on: 2007/9/9 19:03

Senior Guru
131 Posts

Quote:
That's the thing... ANY GM compatible electronic gauge should work.

There is nothing hi-tech about the signals TO the dash... it's the signals internal that get all complex, but we don't care about that.

The only thing you will loose is cruise control...

So should any electric speedo and tach,temp and oil pessure from another chevy or G.M. car should work?
I was looking at some dashes from some 80s f-bodies the other day and wondered if they would work.
Posted on: 2007/9/9 21:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yes... as far as I know that is the case.

The reason I say that, many of the sensors that feed the digi-dash are off the shelf GM bits, hence, anything that reads them should work.

Technically, the fbody gauges should work, however, they would look a bit odd in the C4 dash.

Check this link: VDO Gauges

There are literally tons of options.

This is an interesting one... Dakota Digital C4 Replacement

Even more options from Dakota Digital
Posted on: 2007/9/10 0:36

Senior Guru
131 Posts

Quote:
yes... as far as I know that is the case.

The reason I say that, many of the sensors that feed the digi-dash are off the shelf GM bits, hence, anything that reads them should work.

Technically, the fbody gauges should work, however, they would look a bit odd in the C4 dash.

Check this link: VDO Gauges
There are literally tons of options.

This is an interesting one... Dakota Digital C4 Replacement

Even more options from Dakota Digital

Man, the Dakota ones are awsome and you can use your old dash besel,and they are not all cluttered like the old ones.
I never heard of them before and whoot! there it is,what I'm looking for.Thanks bogus.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 2:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

kewl!!!
Posted on: 2007/9/10 2:39

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

In racing, they use graphing, not digital readouts... then again, most of the time, they turn it colours to reflect impending explosion....

Over here on the Australian V8 supercars, last i saw, the entire dash was digital LCD, including the tacho being an LCD bar, and the speedo being digital number readout. I dont know for certain, but i dont think there is any analog gauges in them at all. (you may get an incar shot on that Bathurst 1000 race i sent ya a while back)

I also grew up with analog gauges, very few Australian cars have LCD gauges, majority are analog, now even more so. I love the LCD speedo so much cause i can look, and at a quick glance i can see exactly how fast im going to the digit, without having to read the numbers around the outside. The tacho was certainly better as digital, when i see my 94 tach pointing at the left turn indicator arrow, i know im going no where near 6,500rpm. When i see it pointing just above 2,000rpm, i know im not doing 2,000rpm either!! It seems to be quite consistant with its inaccuracy though
Posted on: 2007/9/10 6:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

more than likely, the race cars are using Pi dash boards... they are digital, but no speedos.

there, the bar graph is purely reference. it's position, and colours, tell them where they are.

the rest of the info is telemetry - temps and such.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 7:31

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No colours, all grey scale. Speedo is under the tacho, which curves from lower left to upper right, flatening out across the top of the LCD screen. Shift lights there somwhere i think, but the LCD screens ive seen in many of the cars are most certainly grey scale with no colours at all.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 12:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, the shift lights are separate...
Posted on: 2007/9/10 14:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

They are not on the screen yeah. But everything on the screen is digital LCD. Including the speedo and Tacho
Posted on: 2007/9/11 6:55

Senior Guru
131 Posts

I'm still waiting for the dash to come in that I won on Ebay.
it's been 15 days so far and no digi package.But,I also won other stuff the same day and only a few of those have come in also.
I Hate,hate,hate waiting.
Mainly because I've had very few good experiences with the mail systems,private or government.
Posted on: 2007/9/23 14:11

daddue11 YEE HAW I GOT IT!!!
Senior Guru
131 Posts

Yes, I just got my digi dash and it's all that I hoped for. Even my information center works perfect and I can tell how much gas I've got and the water temp and all.
I checked the speedo with my GPS and it is dead on the money. Thank you Lord.
Posted on: 2007/9/25 0:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Excellent! It sometimes sucks to spend money, but it feels so good when it works out so very well!!!!
Posted on: 2007/9/25 3:15

Senior Guru
131 Posts

That's for sure bogus,It makes me feel like a million dollars sitting in front of that dash and it lit up like a xmas tree.I still haven't recieved my performance chip yet.
I'll keep you all posted on that. I also got my new consol door or lid and the passenger side dash bezel even though I'll have to do some customizing on it.
Posted on: 2007/9/25 4:04

daddue11 Update on chip.
Senior Guru
131 Posts

Well friends,It doesn't look like I'm gonna get the chip after all,There was a mess up and so they refunded my money and gave me a few dollars to boot.No foul on anyone,just a mixup that was handled like gentlemen.
So no Chip.
Posted on: 2007/9/28 4:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Oh well mate i guess thats not so bad eh?
Posted on: 2007/9/28 11:13

Senior Guru
131 Posts

No,not bad at all,The way that I look at it is.
Some power was trying to tell me that it wasn't a good move and the chip wasn't what I needed so the snaffu just brought it out in the open,like I say no harm, no foul. Se la vi.
:thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/9/28 17:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.