Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
237 user(s) are online (207 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Engine.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Im sure you guys are tired of seeing me post but I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread in the other section so I figured I would maky my own post. I want a reliable engine. My bearing rod/rods? have been replaced....and everything has been looked over from another mechanic a while back. I figured to make the motor more reliable would be to get forged pistions replace all teh seals, head gaskets ect...put in aluminum heads because I have cast iron right now, put in a cam, and call it a day. Some power but still reliable. Then switch to a D44 and everything would be in good shape and upgraded so it would be stronger than stock but without having to use all that power for more wear and tear. What do you guys think. Mind, this is a ways off but I am still interested in learning and hearing opinions on it. Thanks...Then put in 24 lb injectors and get a custom tune...exaust is already done....cut lid to....Thats all I can think of at the moment that would be pretty major.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 18:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Engine.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

before you dig into that, you really need to understand the basics of an engine. How all the parts interrelate and support each other.

Reliable is more than just good parts, it's those parts assembled properly and carefully. A good engine can be build from cheap parts, as a bad one from expensive parts.

If I was dealing with an iron head L98, I would do this:

Consider an LSx swap. It handles ALL your problems, and gives you so much growth potential... it ain't even funny. The 5.3 litre truck engine is selling at fire sale prices now-a-days... Convert to a manual transmission and life is grand. The 5.7 litre truck engine isn't far behind... they made lots of them, and technically, putting that engine into a car is illegal. But as far as I am concerned, if you use a car tune on the PCM, it don't matter.

The amt of work needed to make the L98 truly reliable AND powerful is not something to be taken lightly. The engine control electronics are a mess... and by the time you spend all that $$, you still won't be able to keep up with an LSx motor.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 19:23

NC Kid RE:Engine.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I don't like illegal engines....That means jail....or fines....My car is a auto though....Is it easy to convert to a manual and will it make the car more relable. I heard the ones in the early cars like mine suck and break easily because at the time everyone wanted autos over sticks....LsX=??? you mean like a LS1 like the new vettes have? or is it a LS2? Not to familiar with this stuff. Just know basics and what I have read on other forums and read out of my Haynes manual. If I did do a motor swap, would I redo all the sensors under teh hood. Alot of the wires under there are pretty crispy and brittle from the heat I suppose. Is it possible to do it in small increments and not all at once? I figured that I could save up some $$, work this summer, then sell my L-98, and have enough to get what I am aiming for. If I do good this semester in college, my parents are willing to help me out on some things. Im selling my neons for 50 bucks and I have a little bit saved. So do you know of a price range that it might be close to? Not looking to make alot of power. How much would yout hink I could get when all is said and done. Id like to still go back to a realativley normal exaust. Two Y pipes with a high flow cat in the middle and some mufflers like the Stinger models on the C5 but for teh C4. They look really nice.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 20:19

red_johnny RE:Engine.
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

LSx stands for ANY LS engine. As far as the illegal part I dont think you would get any jail time or even stopped for that. Its not like the cops are going to say....hey, that sounds like a truck engine, I better give that guy a ticket or take him to jail
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:08

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Why is a truck engine illegal in a car? Is it fast?
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:19

red_johnny RE:Engine.
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I am really not sure why. I know that most truck engines offer loads of tourque and if I had my pick of horse power or tourque I would choose tourque every time. Maybe thats why?
Posted on: 2007/9/20 0:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The EPA has determind that "truck" engines are different from "car" engines because of different emissions standards.

Here is the shocker - the only difference between a 5.7 litre Corvette LS1 engine and a 6 litre truck engine is - get this - THE BLOCK. The Vettes is aluminum, the truck is iron.

Big deal. You can run a truck engine with a car PCM, and it will burn as clean as the car equvilent.

Infact, LPE uses iron blocks on their hot TT motors. I don't know the legality, but if they are buying bare blocks, I don't think there is an issue. Besides, your average smog guy won't put a magnet to the block!

What matters is if it blows clean out the tailpipe.

Don't fret an illegal motor... this isn't stolen, and enforcement is spotty at best.

If you do select to install an engine like this, get one from a good, reputable salvage yard, and have them ship a copy of the salvage title, to prove it wasn't acquired from a chop shop somewhere.

You can get 5.7 litre LSx motors from F-bodies and Corvettes. Plus the GTO. The 5.3 litre can come from Impala SS's and a few other FWD GM sedans, I don't remember them all. I also don't know if the FWD version will convert to RWD or not.

If you expand into the truck line, there are literally MILLIONS of engines out there... 5.3 and 6.0 litre, plus, some of the Escalades are now running 400+ hp 6.2 litre motors... all aluminum, too!

You will have to ditch the transmission... your best bet is to use a 4L60E from a later C4 or from an F-body, and install a C4 tailshaft housing. The biggest issue will be wiring. You will have to integrate the engine harness to the rest of your car.

But think of it... 350 utterly reliable horsepower... with no more effort than plug and play. It would take time, but it would be a very streetable combo...
Posted on: 2007/9/20 1:41

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Uhh....ok? You lost me? Buy a used engine and put new parts in it? No smog testing here. :D......
Posted on: 2007/9/20 1:52

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

reread my post... it's pretty clear. I am not sure what I said caused you to ask that question.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 2:48

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

You said a salvage yard which means the motors used.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 12:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, yea... sure... salvage is the best way to get one of these motors.

figure it will have under 60k miles. The chances of real internal damage are slim, unless it came from an f-body. The problem with engines from F-bodies, the cars are owned (mostly) by young people who ride them hard and put them up wet. Abused is the norm.

Trucks and Vettes are the best source for the engine. You can then mate a 4L60E from a 95/96 Vette (again, f-body transmissions are prone to abuse).

Truck owners, like Vette owners, care for their rides. Truck owners USE them and need them to be in good shape. Vette owners are just anal.

Used is not a problem...
Posted on: 2007/9/20 14:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.