Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
285 user(s) are online (242 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

sez she runs right up to 240 fans come on yet keeps climbin..have checked fans both run,,primary at 238 n air when hit it,,water seems to circulate n is warm in rad. so shouldnt be stuck thermo..sez was 1/4 gallon low when noticed hot n now jus heats right up..any idears people??? where the fugs the thermostat at ? under the dayum pump? also is they a metal blade er plastic in pump...(weak pump mebee)..is missun the bottum air deflector dodad under car ,,but has been since got yrs ago...whats say fellas anythin thanks paps
Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Pappy,
I would still bet that the radiator has tons of micro-crap stuck between the fins. I replaced my radiator with a stock replacement and I now run too cold with the fans coming on early.
Posted on: 2010/3/24 15:00

pappyfreebird Re: yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

ya know griz i looked at what i could see n thinkin same chit..did see um like dried grass in a few fins but in between was clear...thats where we ll start i rekon..mebee jus try sum air n er good water blast befoe pullin it..thanks pappy
ps was thinkin wud ifn the thermo was stuck opind?? would this nawt allow enuff time out to cool???? wouldnt think so ,,but this newr chit is beyond this ol hack...
Posted on: 2010/3/24 15:08

1Fast04Vert Re: yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

You have to use the bleed screw on the top of the t/stat housing to get the air out of the system or it will act just like what you are experiencing. Bleed it with engine running, add AF if needed, run it until t/stat opens and bleed it again.
Posted on: 2010/3/24 15:16

biggrizzly Re: yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I was going to suggest that too. Pappy, after bleeding any air, if its still getting hot, then I'd suspect the radiator.

I cleaned mine with an air hose and some high pressure water including some pretty nasty cleaner, but I was still getting crap that would fall out of it after it had dried. Coolant temps did drop a little after cleaning but would build back up easily after time. Seems like nothing I could do would get it really clean. It wasn't until I replaced the radiator and lowered the fan temps that I got it to really run cool for good.
Posted on: 2010/3/24 17:28

383tpimachine Re: yo bruthas,,sons 95 trans am lt1 is gittun hot
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

reverse flowing creates air pockets if not bled correctly.
Posted on: 2010/3/24 17:50

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

awrighty fellas..i figured air since rads clean n i flushed er drained n thats clean but ain gittin ony gallon...so sent him off fer now (im still werkin) but figured we need ta find air bleed ,,ive read vets have this issue,,so kinda figured,,now any pic of wud im lookin fer???there is a lil hose commin outta pump to top rad. n has a lil nut n skeeroo in it like fer bleedin..is this wud im after...thanks again guys..did run her couple heat cycles n got presuure off n was able ta add mo ,,but thinkin still has air
Posted on: 2010/3/24 19:11

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

any pic of wud im lookin fer???

Not a close up, but hope this helps. If you look just an inch forward of the throttle body on the passenger side you can see the bleed screw (brass screw). It is on the t/stat housing where the lower radiator hose hooks up. Hope this does it.
ps--run it with trapped air and you are almost certain to blow a head gasket.
[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/andyminnich/?action=view¤t=100_1069.jpg][IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/andyminnich/100_1069.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted on: 2010/3/24 20:21

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thank you bruthas,,,with yer help we found em n bled it n in total skeerooin around we got gallon er so more in her,,son called later n said drove fum here there etc n sittin in culvers driver thru n she went up to 235 fans popped on n dropped right down n said drove way farther then has when got hot,,so hopin we got it..we both thanks ya a ton fellas...now i still am curious why she got air or lost that much fluid,,he haddnt checked it n his ova flow tank has crack (so tells me hasnt been usin it)..so toll him keep that full to n next we ll pull it out n see where leaks fum..its sittin loose so imagine has a hole wore in fum the vibes..thanks again bruthas
ps shweeet lookin engine to by the way,,the boys has a bleeder on the heater line too,,in yer pic be bout 3"s er so out past thermo bleeder in the lil heater line..sure was cool when opind it n saw air n rad.drop,,then as cooled mo evin mo drop etc...sure glad could help him...hes happy too...
Posted on: 2010/3/25 11:21

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Good deal, glad it is good now. The other bleeder you saw is on the throttle body coolant hose. That is the highest point in the coolant system, but no need to bleed it there anyways.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 13:02

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

awrighty thanks fer the correct name ,,she do flow good in that one n gits hot fast too...thanks again ,,we both preciate it
Posted on: 2010/3/25 14:35

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well heres a new twist..seems car were fine ferfew days n then he calls yesterday n sez im 30 miles outta town n shes hotter then fug...long short he said took three stops n 3 gallons to git to my place...she dont smoke cant see leaks yet wheres that water goin???? the recovery tank has been fugged up since got car..but pulled that apart n werent sealed where pipe goes into tank (could effect vacuem) but pipe in water so shouldnt..well ??s are wheres the sensors to fans ..n any udda idears be great...
Posted on: 2010/3/29 12:08

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

How does the oil look? Fans are controlled by the PCM based upon temperature input from the sensor on the water pump. Normally they come on at 227*F. The coolant sensor on the right head is just for the analog gauge.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 13:12

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

oil lloks fine nawt over full n nice clean look ,,but is synthetic..will that discoloer like dyno...gonna do a tstat n try again..shes aways run right up ta 220..he sez..n fans come on bout 230-235..now my ol vet runs 195 (like ttat has in )ony climbs ifn sittin ..this is wud seems funny on his trans am..ceptin its been this way since own 5 yrs er so..not the over heatin but higher temos..this why i do tstat..wheres the missin water is my biggets concern
Posted on: 2010/3/29 17:00

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Check the cap on the surge tank. If it is not holding pressure it will likely blow coolant into the overflow tank, overfilling it and leaking out from there. Glad the oil is good and hope it is not a headgasket.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:55

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

hey 95 preciate ya hangin wid me on this..heres my story n final fix n hope its unnerstandable..1st i check fer circulation,,yeup its flowin,,then i sticks me fingar in rad. n its hot,,so to me that tells me i have pump flow n tstat has to be opinin to make rad fluid hot... this was my idjut mistake...readin a bit on the flow i happind to catch this dual action tstat werd,,(had looked fer pix at parts houses,,helps me sumtimes,,no pix n no werds describin udda then super stant etc) so back to point i see this dual action n bells go ringin off in head,,n 95 yer werds on that is the tpi bleedar n hose,,finally all fits,,fug me the hot water in rad is fum that tpi water circulatin,,dont mean tstat is opinin,,so i yanks it out n cook it n stuck shut,,,dayum fellas i r happy ta say thats all she were,,new stat n yeup i tested befoe install n 180 pop there she opins,,now i knowd i got it..was at the point to throw parts at it n thats wud would a grabbed 1st,,but jus tryun ta explain how i missed it,,key werds here is dual action tstat..the fuggar was still lettin the plenum juice flow n git hot makin hot rad juice,,thus makin me think tstat is opinin..dayum noraml car would have hot block cold rad ,,you knowd what i mean,,well closed this one ,,n thanks again bruthas paps n the kage
Posted on: 2010/3/30 15:03

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Glad you found the problem and got it fixed.
Posted on: 2010/3/30 15:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.