Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
325 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Strick FM reception all of a sudden, poor
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I have the Bose system with the CD/Cassette/AM/FM receiver in my 92. I'm sure the head is from a 96 as it has white letters on the knobs and buttons. The CD/Cassette and AM work just fine. I checked the antenna connection near the antenna relay the and it is secure. It's been running great for the past 6-7 years. Any ideas what to check? Or is it off to Dr. Dons.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 14:49

CasetheCorvetteman RE:FM reception all of a sudden, poor
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Alternator capacitor mate. Electrical noise.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 14:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:FM reception all of a sudden, poor
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sending the head unit of a 90-96 Bose off for radio repair is much like sending the hands to a clock because the clock is broken.

yea, chew on that metaphor...

the Bose of your generation uses a receiver module. It's in the dash, behind and below the glove box. I suspect it has failed.

That more than likely needs to be sent to Dr Dons.

Considering that AM is working and FM isn't, the alternator theory gets iffy... if anything, I would expect AM to be buzzing long before FM quits. You can also check the antenna connection at the receiver module.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 16:31

DanZ51 RE:FM reception all of a sudden, poor
Guru Newb
Wallingford, Vermont
7 Posts

On my 86 I had the FM reception go from corvette bad (no ground plane on a plastic car) to dismal

Turns out there's a connection in the coax cable located under the trim under the rear window, drivers side. For some reason the connection worked loose.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 2:47

vis_croceus Re: FM reception all of a sudden, poor
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:
I have the Bose system with the CD/Cassette/AM/FM receiver in my 92. I'm sure the head is from a 96 as it has white letters on the knobs and buttons. The CD/Cassette and AM work just fine. I checked the antenna connection near the antenna relay the and it is secure. It's been running great for the past 6-7 years. Any ideas what to check? Or is it off to Dr. Dons.

Check the antenna cable connections. If your CDM is in the storage bin then there are two - at the CDM and near the driver's side deck lid strut. If your CDM is in the dash there may be more than two, don't know.

Check the ground plane connections at the antenna.

If those check out, buy a cheap manual antenna at an auto parts store and plug it in to see if there is a broken connection inside the antenna itself.

If none of those is it, I'd try to find somebody to swap CDMs with to test that. Used CDMs are a lot cheaper than a Dr Don's repair.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 8:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.